Taking power from the BMW GPS socket

I've been setting up my new Zumo on a Touratech mount and thought I'd take power from the BMW GPS socket taped up by the headstock.

After a bit of testing I figured out which pin on the connector supplied what and was soon siliconing the wires in place, tie wrapping everything and feeling rather pleased with myself.

Before this I'd tested switching on the ignition - on came the Zumo. Switch it off and 30 seconds or so later the Zumo loses power and reverts to its batteries. Smug mode fully engaged.

Triumphant I went for a test ride only to discover I had no audio? Having searched around I discovered this was because the Zumo was on battery power. It seems that whilst there is power when the ignition is first switched on, once you start the bike the voltage disappears.

Is this the Canbus kicking me in the crutch (again)? Is it trying to talk to the Zumo, failing, and then powering down the socket? :spitfire

Still it's not as bad as my DRZ. Punctured the front changing the tyre and have given up on the rear before I completely fork that one up too!

It's been a good day!

Hi,

Apologies if I'm off base here but I have recently purchased a Tomtom Rider2 satnav to fit on my 2010 GSA. I did the connection by getting my local BMW dealer (Rainbow, Rotherham) to fit a canbus plug on the power lead for the Tomtom. Then I removed the end cap from the canbus socket located under the headleamp and pushed my newly fitted canbus plug in. The satnav comes on with the ignition and charges up and works without a problem. Audio is provided via bluetooth. When I switch off, the Tomtom powers off after a minute or so.

Isn't that what the canbus is for. From the post above it sounds as though Firebird as cut into the wires leading into the canbus socket is that right. Does the Zumo work different to other satnavs so that you can't utilise the canbus socket as I did.

john1215

Hi,

Apologies if I'm off base here but I have recently purchased a Tomtom Rider2 satnav to fit on my 2010 GSA. I did the connection by getting my local BMW dealer (Rainbow, Rotherham) to fit a canbus plug on the power lead for the Tomtom. Then I removed the end cap from the canbus socket located under the headleamp and pushed my newly fitted canbus plug in. The satnav comes on with the ignition and charges up and works without a problem. Audio is provided via bluetooth. When I switch off, the Tomtom powers off after a minute or so.

john1215

Hi John1215,

Are you using the powered cradle?

Cheers
Chris.

Does anyone know the part number for the mating half to this BMW part number?

I am looking to make a short extension lead to relocate the Nav on a non-GS into a GS like position.

Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom