BT 020s tyres for GS1200

albe

Hi all FYI,

At 5600 miles, preparing for a long trip to Italy I decided to change my originally fitted tyres (Michelin Anakee, which could have made an other 1,000-1,500 miles) with something better suited for a lot of motorway mileage..

I have opted for BT 020s after reading several threads in here and the article published in Bike magazine. This despite BMW recommended to fit the BattleWings.. They also said that I wouldn't notice much difference between tires..

Day one after the change I have to say that it is like riding a different bike!

It feels a lot more nimble, naturally bends a lot more, brakes and ABS work much better (particularly in wet) and the ride is much smoother and silent. It is a pity BMW do not recommend these for pure road use!

On the downside the looks of the bike aren't as goood and obviously won't have any bite off-road (not that Anakees were any good for real off roading anyway).

where in London did you get them done? Essential Rubber are close to me.

Hi all FYI,

At 5600 miles, preparing for a long trip to Italy I decided to change my originally fitted tyres (Michelin Anakee, which could have made an other 1,000-1,500 miles) with something better suited for a lot of motorway mileage..

I have opted for BT 020s after reading several threads in here and the article published in Bike magazine. This despite BMW recommended to fit the BattleWings.. They also said that I wouldn't notice much difference between tires..

Day one after the change I have to say that it is like riding a different bike!

It feels a lot more nimble, naturally bends a lot more, brakes and ABS work much better (particularly in wet) and the ride is much smoother and silent. It is a pity BMW do not recommend these for pure road use!

On the downside the looks of the bike aren't as goood and obviously won't have any bite off-road (not that Anakees were any good for real off roading anyway).

I agree - exactly my experience. Unbeatable for pure on road use! :thumb

I went to a place in Romford, Harold Court Road (Essex). I found them on the web. They have fitted the tyres while I was waiting (30 mins). Their prices are honest (I paid £218 instead of £360 quoted by BMW!!) and looks like they know what they are doing. On the down side, they have used some ugly weights to calibratre the wheel... but for £142 less I think i can leave with it!

See:
http://www.motorcycletyresuk.com/index2.htm

The 020's are a good tyre but does the 021 come in GS sizes yet?

In my experience they grip more and last longer which seems good to me.

Unfortunately not.

After 100 miles on the new tyres, and getting used to them, it feels great!
I hope mileage also will be goood! :thumb2

At the moment there is only an 021 available for the rear of the 1200GS although eventually a front version will follow.

I'm having a 020 front and 021 rear fitted this morning in preperation for the trip to the Pyranees and my fitter has used this combination on a number of GS's with no problems.

I too love the 020's as a road tyre, but they flat really easily on the motorway, a problem I've not noticed with the Battlewing, i've just fitted a new pair of Battlewings, the old set having done 6000mls and still having another couple of thou left on them, the most i've ever got from 020's was around 5000mls to bald.

The Battlewings work really well with the GSA very stable and plenty quick enough steering for me, they do lack any real bite off road, but look a much tougher tyre than the 020's.

Shep

I have 020's on mine, love 'em. However, just phoned my tyre guy today to be told he can't get 020's as they are in short supply at the moment:(
He has a rear in stock, but can't get a front. Anyone know where I might get one around the Kent area please, got a trip coming up in 3 weeks and I need it for then.

Cheers in advance,

JDH

I have used Essential Rubber quite a few times, but recently had a set of BattleWings fitted at FWR on Kennington Road (not that far from N London) because ES didn't have any stock of any of my choices!

I would heartily recommend FWR - very professional and not as 'scruffy/earthy' an establishment as ES. Good deals on pairs of tyres too - look at their website. Had a pair of BWs fitted - ride in/out - for £160!

I have 020's on mine, love 'em. However, just phoned my tyre guy today to be told he can't get 020's as they are in short supply at the moment:(

JDH

Switched out my tyres on Wednesday due to a puncher, they were out of 19" 020's. So I switched out D607's to the Dunlop D220 ST, so far very impressed, it took me back into sports bike mode. Although was less than impressed when I scuffed to toe on my new Puma ankle boots, due to some over zealous cornering.

Switched out my tyres on Wednesday due to a puncher, they were out of 19" 020's. So I switched out D607's to the Dunlop D220 ST, so far very impressed, it took me back into sports bike mode. Although was less than impressed when I scuffed to toe on my new Puma ankle boots, due to some over zealous cornering.

must be thick i have never thought of using this tyre. May i ask how much they were?;)

must be thick i have never thought of using this tyre. May i ask how much they were?;)

I don't think the 19" front has been available that long, even in the wet they tracked well on a 60-70mph bend. If you don't go off road they should be on your short list. As for the price, £186 fitted from FWR.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom