fender extender

Sue Larrington

As you all know, the front mudguard on the GS is useless. Has anyone fitted an extension/ fender extender of any sort. Touratec make a mudguard but its quite expensive?. sue.

Fender extender

Hi Sue,

I bought my first GS in April. the first thing I did was buy a fender extender...from BMW (Southport Superbike!! Genuine part £20.00 approx.(after 10% discount) i'd expected to pay £30. So the moral of the story is check your dealer first...they are not always the most expensive. Happy riding. Mike

I fitted a rubber one made from a small section of rubber sheet I had at home - it looks great and cost next to nothing, if you are handy enough to fit the proper job you will be able to make one of these - I may even have some rubber sheet left over if you want some :)

Here it is in all it's glory - it carries the curve of the mudguard, is flexible if it scrapes anything and cost virtually nothing :thumb

Attachments

• adv.JPG
    adv.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 320
I even found some rather nice black rubber sheet that has never been used in the workshop, what more do you need? :)

Only problem is, that is NOT an F650GS front mudguard!
Ah good point now I have googled it, I see a 650 in the car park quite often with a proper mudguard and just assumed...

I suppose saying they all look the same to me is no justification :eek:

{Shuffles off to look for coat}

Having phoned Southport Superbikes a mudguard extension is not available for the 2004 650GS. Mike if you read this please confirm that your bike is this model, Graham spoke to Becky in the parts dept and an extension has never been available so I wonder what was used on your bike? sue

sue, as you have now found out,there isnt a fender extender made for the gs /
it is a case of make your own or buy the touratech mudguard.
i tried a the ttech mudguard its quite good.but not as cheap as diy .
as prev posted the pic is not on a 650gs:rolleyes:
good luck

The fender extender that you talk about from BMW extends the front beak of the 650 to prevent water from being thrown off the wheel into your face.

It was fitted to 2000 Dakar models and will fit all GS650's 1998 onwards. Ask your dealer to order the 2000 Dakar front beak extender. I think it costs about 10 GBPounds

It does require you to drill three small holes through which fit the supplied nuts and bolts.

The second item is the lower mudguard from Touratech. This is also very effective at stopping the mud and water from coating legs and feet. Can be a litle tricky to fit if you dont pay attention to the supplied spacers. Loctite the nuts as they have a habit of working loose.

Both units fitted to my 2005 Dakar meant that I could ride in wet / muddy conditions, and arrive at work without looking like I had just competed in the Paris-Dakar

When I rode a loaner (in the winter) without the additional guards I realised how good the combination was.

Graham is going to offer up a plain mudflap and fit that if it looks ok, its bound to keep a lot of crap off the engine and my legs, maybe also a flap at the bottom of the upper mudguard. Will see how that works and maybe fit a Touratech guard at a later date. sue

the dakar fender extender fits

part number 46617655718,can post pictures tomorrow as im collecting mine.

hmm so will i.......dealer rang me yesterday to say the part had arrived,go down today and now they cant find it.....piccies when they find it im afraid.

I think you ar egetting too excited. i forgot about the Dakar fende extender.
i wouldn't really call it a mudflap and its only a small fender extender for the money:rolleyes:

Attachments

• ebay june 07 089.jpg
    ebay june 07 089.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 184

Back
Top Bottom