Brake light modulators

Cheesy Mike

Brake light modulator - when you apply the brakes it flashes the brake light a few times then leaves it on solid.

These are popular on bikes in the USA and pretty effective at getting you noticed by other motorists at a critical time.

Would they be legal in the UK?

Mike

Got auxiliary version on my GS. I don't think that they actually are legal, but given their effectiveness i was willing to take the risk. Mine are LED dual function units with side and tail and act as additional lighting to the main stop/tail light. I've had police 'following' me and not yet been pulled for it. I think it might be a different matter (especially at MOT) if you applied this to your 'primary' brake light though.

I'm sure someone will be able to quote chapter and verse on this with regards to Legislation and MOT requirements.

Johnieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I seem to remember reading on the ADVRider site that they can cause the ABS to indicate a fault (something to do with voltage in the brake light circuit or something). Not a problem, of course, if you don't have ABS.....

Mike:)

Mike O said:
I seem to remember reading on the ADVRider site that they can cause the ABS to indicate a fault (something to do with voltage in the brake light circuit or something). Not a problem, of course, if you don't have ABS.....

Correct. There are specific BMW versions available that apply a resistance to the brakelight circuit so that the system doesn't think that the a bulb has blown.

Mike

The 8xLed hyper lights are what i have fitted to mine. They're very good. I got mine from http://www.cyclegadgets.com/ Good service, etc. easy to fit and as i don't have ABS no problems with fitting them. Piggyback connectors allow simple connection in to original brake light - 3 minutes, easy.

Still have original brake light circuit, so no problem at MOT if tester takes a dim view of the flashing auxiliary brake lights.

Not seen the effects myself (as not lent my bike to anyone - yet) but have had a fair few comments about them from others (Princetown 03) and how effective they are.

I did contact Hyperlights direct to see about having the modualtion element removed. They said it was possible if i was willing to pay. Figured i'd try conventional first - adn they seem fine. I even like the modulation aspect as it certainly seems attention grabbing.

Johnieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

mikebelch said:

Would they be legal in the UK?

Mike

Nope. The only flashing light you're allowed to have on a motorised vehicle is an amber one.

David

Re: Re: Brake light modulators

turbine_2 said:
Nope. The only flashing light you're allowed to have on a motorised vehicle is an amber one.

David

Agreed, but weigh up the potential benefits compared with the possible consequences. If you feel that the safety benefits outweigh the risk of being stopped by a particularly pedantic John Q Law on a bad day, then I'd do it.

I've ridden with (correctly adjusted & non-dazzling) front fog lamps on for over 18 months now. That's illegal, but also makes my bike more visible and obvious (no pull outs in that time). I've not been pulled for it so far - but can switch them off if I am - although I'm fairly certain that the case I could put forward at the time would probably make this unnecessary.

I've wired up my 'WideTail' lights to my brake light circuit and also have the TT additional stop/tail lamp, so I think a modulator might be something of an overkill......:D

It's the old 'I'd rather be judged by 12 men than carried by 6' debate, I guess.

Mike, would you mind bringing a set back for me, the dual ones that run as stop and tail lights? Many thanks if you do and i'll see you when you get back.

Cheers

Rich.

Madmountainman said:
Mike, would you mind bringing a set back for me, the dual ones that run as stop and tail lights?

Sure. I'm going into the local BMW dealer tomorrow I know they sell them so I'll price them up.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Brake light modulators

Mike O said:
Agreed, but weigh up the potential benefits compared with the possible consequences. If you feel that the safety benefits outweigh the risk of being stopped by a particularly pedantic John Q Law on a bad day, then I'd do it.

True, and once I get some time I'll be sticking the MiGSel light bar on and be doing the same thing. The question was is it illegal though.

It would be unusual for a police officer to pull you for flashing the brake light unless you were breaking the "Taking the piss" act as referenced by the "having a laugh" regulations. :)

David

Back
Top Bottom