Sleeping bag.

Mullabrack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im sure someone has asked this before but can anyone tell me the best option for a sleeping bag for occasional use around this time of year(or three season use)
Would prefer some sort of quality but must fold into quite small space for m/cycle use.

Thankyou all in advance:thumb2

snugpack - "softie 3 merlin"

as used by british army. 3 seaons. £75 (brand new) from army surpluss store. can get them in left or right zip - its a "mummy" bag (tapers at bottom instead of rectangular like most bags) has a harder wearing inner bit internaly at the bottom so you could keep your boots on in the bag (army?)

squishes really small, really easily. . .

Last edited:
i have also got the army system , really warm and compacts well in the stuff sack, got mine of ebay , top bit if kit and will last a long time,

another:thumb2 for the snug pack, youll be even warmer with a decent sleep mat to insulate you from the ground i use an exped:thumb2

another:thumb2 for the snug pack, youll be even warmer with a decent sleep mat to insulate you from the ground i use an exped:thumb2

Almost too warm sometimes. I have an Exped and a Harrier and have to open it quite often. I bought a rectangular sleeping bag liner that I slip over the exped now and use as a fitted sheet, I can then open the bag and use a duvet if it gets too warm.

Almost too warm sometimes. I have an Exped and a Harrier and have to open it quite often. I bought a rectangular sleeping bag liner that I slip over the exped now and use as a fitted sheet, I can then open the bag and use a duvet if it gets too warm.

better to be to warm than to cold:thumb2:D

Thanks for the info guys (and dolls!!)
Better still if any one has an as new one for sale let me know.(or rollmat or anything for that matter to ease a first time camping trip on m/cycle bar the tent!!)

Kind Regards

Mullabrak

For a cheap matress... try Millets. They do a wee blow up mattress for £9.95 (or it might be £9.99)...called "eurohike"
Good enuff if you are just trying camping for the first time, and it folds down into the size of a pint glass (approx).

Ive used 1 for a couple of years... small, light, and comfy enuff (just make sure you dont blow it up hard... leave a little sag)
Its not wide, but its cheap and lots better than sleeping on the ground.

Good luck on your first trip

Creature Comforts..

Thanks for that Bub.

All my trips usually involve hotels but i now want to try camping as the wife bought me a new tent last year (perhaps she wants to tell me something:D) so as for the mattress,well i will add that to my shopping list but what about a pillow(told you i always worked with hotels!!)

Thanks for the help.

P.S What are cold beans like straight from the tin along with a nice Chianti:eek:

cats meow from mountain equipment or north face can't remember, well good bit of stuff and available in other colours than just green

Bugger,it must be me with the low IQ.Im still trying to figure that one out:confused::confused:
Pay attention at the back Mullabrack:reynolds

I bought a camping pillow from Charlies for about £2.50. Very nice :thumb2 I always used to make a pillow out of clothes but this packs quite small and fits nicely inside the hood of the sleeping bag.

You'll be wanting a camping stove to warm them beans. Slippery slope.... :thumb

Why does anyone assume if its 'used by the British Army' it's any good, believe me that couldn't be furthur from the truth:eek, watch the news, we don't have issues with kit for nothing :augie, I go camping alot on the bike and I make sure I don't take one bit of issue kit!

I spent three days camping at the recent Cropredy Folk Festival and I'm getting really cheesed off as I never seem to be able to sleep properly under canvas, no more than say three hours a night. My Eurohike 200 sleeping bag is far too tight and I'm unable to move around in it. It's a 2-Season bag and I had to use a cotton line to keep the cold out. After air mattresses I was advised to get a Thermarest, very expensive and at a mere 20.5" wide, a bit like sleeping on top of a wall. Very easy to wake up and find I'm half off it. Also it's supposed to be self inflating but I always have to put at least a dozen puffs into it to make it comfortable and to keep me off the ground. I have a 4-Season sleeping bag which is far too hot except for spring or autumn use.

So, I need a roomier 2-Season sleeping bag and either a wider Thermarest or something better. After five or six years of camping, I can count my good nights sleep on one hand. Any suggestions, other than getting a B&B?:(

Well I've half solved this problem. My son is in the RAF and he tells me he has a Snugpack Military sleeping bag which is quite roomy, and I can have it. Now, what to sleep ON.

So, I need a roomier 2-Season sleeping bag and either a wider Thermarest or something better. After five or six years of camping, I can count my good nights sleep on one hand. Any suggestions, other than getting a B&B?:(

EXPED - TRAVELDRI LES !

Well I've half solved this problem. My son is in the RAF and he tells me he has a Snugpack Military sleeping bag which is quite roomy, and I can have it. Now, what to sleep ON.

I've got one of them self deflating mattress things very good I think till you wake up and hear the longest near silent fart and they become rather uncomfortable.

Therma rest make different grades of mat and if you really want to be comfortable you need to get the expedition one, it's bulky but not too heavy and can be strapped to the outside of your kit in a waterproof bag.

For those of you having trouble sleeping in the great outdoors and sliding off your kip mat here's what I do (learnt the hard way after 25 yrs in the infantry).

1. Spend time finding a level stone free site, sounds obvious but most people don't bother.
2. Make sure your s/bag fits and that you have room to move inside without it drowning you. A hood, neck baffle and venting zips are imho a neccesity.
3. Down is warmer, lighter and more packable than man made filling but does not like getting wet sooo,
4. Use a bivvy bag to keep it dry and place your kip mat inside the bivvy bag, you are less likely to slide off it.
5. I use a small down pillow on top of my clothing and I often wear ear plugs especially at rallys/noisy campsites
6. Finally I sleep in l/w top and bottoms made from an old parachute, they are light, non sweaty and allow you to move easily in your bag.
PS have a bottle clearly labeled P do not drink nearby in the night soaking wet feet and down bags don't mix.:thumb2

I did seven years in the Royal Engineers and still have my old down-filled sleeping bag, only it's got pretty smelly over the years and I don't think it can be dry-cleaned. When I did use it, I found it pretty comfortable. Let's see how good my son's sleeping bag is.

One rider praised those cot-type camping beds which keep you a few inches off the ground, but that would be a pretty tight fit in my 2-man Khyam Eiger.

I always sleep in the buff but I can see that wearing something would make things easier to move around.

Back
Top Bottom