Thread: Crap Holiday This Year IN The Dolomites

Man with hand in pocket feels Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Crap Holiday This Year IN The Dolomites

Well what started off to be another brilliant trip to the Dolomites ended up a bit of a disaster.
    We had a fabulous trip across France through the Black Forest into Switzerland .Down the Stelvio again & after three days & over a thousand miles ended up at our hotel at the top of Pass Podoi 2950m up.

The hotel was fine about thirty hair pins to reach it & all seemed well.We thought we'd have a day walking & taking it easy Tuesday then it started hailing etc & the temperature was below freezing.

However Wednesday seemed a little brighter so we headed to Cortina thinking it would be warmer it was bloody freezing.Anyways heading back over the pass back from Cortina to Araba it started snowing even more heavily still not too worried we over took a bus then snow was across the road an inch or so thick .Next minute bang crash wallop we're on our arses & as I lay there I here the scraping of the bike sliding down the road.Luckily we were doing about 10 mph

Anyways picks ourselves up Caroline helps me pick it up can't keep it up right fall arse over head with the bike again. Eventually park it up & the bus driver comes & asks us if we want a ride with his coach party to the nearest town.

We gratefullly accept & Caroline then decides to tell me she thinks her arm is broken. I ask the driver to take us to Araba where hopefully he will phone for an ambulance etc God bless him he arranged every thing seeing as we only speek English poorly lol. Ambulance arrives Police arrive apparently they've been looking for us after somebody either reported it or saw the bike .They then transfer us to another ambulance solely because he spoke English . He took us the hours drive to Hospital x-rayed & then plastered her arm another guy comes in in a wheel chair asks if we're with the parked up GS apparrently we went past him as he was just up he then saw us come off he had a badly broken leg poor sod.
    Luckily the Police suggested having the bike transported back down to the garage about a 40 km round trip the driver waited for us at the hospital & two hours later returned us to the garage where the bike was waiting.€60 so well pleased with that & the driver took Caroline back to our hotel.

Fortunately her arm didn't give her too much pain I offered to use our extra medical insurance to hopefully get her flown home but she'd have none of it bless her.

Thursday Friday we read a little walked a little then Saturday decided to try to get home.I booked a hotel at Haguenau then set the Sat Nav to fastest route 450 miles via Insbruck Stuttgart way etc we set off at 8-30 arrived at 4-30 .To tell you I was dreading it was an understatement but Caroline was a star. I had to dress her put her hat on put her on the bike first then me slide on .We had a longer trip the next day & made it home for tea Sunday .

Final thoughts touring is fabulous when everything goes well. When something like this happens you realize just how far you are away from home.Don't ride with out your passport or European Health Card because everybody wanted to see them
    However saying all that when you are pretty desperate people do seem to come to your rescue.

Sorry such a long tail

As you can see by the pictures when it's sunny it's fabtastic when the weather turns it's not so funny.

Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day

Good advice there mate, glad you made it okay, one brave lady that Caroline by the sound of it. Sounds like the locals were a really good bunch though, well done them.

JDH

* * * * * * Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    hope you both get well soon
    <a href=http://www.nomadbiker.co.uk target=_blank>www.nomadbiker.co.uk</a>

SKATE Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Glad all is well now.
    I read your story with my heart in my mouth as we have only just returned(two weeks ago) from a near identical trip, even stayed at the Hotel ColdiLana on top of the Pordino. Nice place. Luckily we only had a few showery days/mornlngs the whole trip, lucky or what. But as ewe said, up that high and the weather changes oh so fast.
    Allan

Man with hand in pocket feels Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Davies View Post
    Glad all is well now.
    I read your story with my heart in my mouth as we have only just returned(two weeks ago) from a near identical trip, even stayed at the Hotel ColdiLana on top of the Pordino. Nice place. Luckily we only had a few showery days/mornlngs the whole trip, lucky or what. But as ewe said, up that high and the weather changes oh so fast.
    Allan

Well how about that same hotel as well did you use his underground garage & park next to his 1150 adv.

After the accident the slope down into it was a couple of inches of snow so the bike stopped outside that night

Glad you had a good trip anyways
    Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day

SKATE Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Yep same garage, mind ewe we got a bit waylayed, (on the road from Cortina to Corva S232 i think oh what a lovely road and three passes they were),and reached the hotel at 2045 in the dark, the last two passes were in the twilight/dark very entertaining I can tell you. We even missed dinner, mind ewe he did russle us up some cold meat and salad plus a hot apple struddle what a fine chap he was
    I will be defo going back there
    Allan