Topboxes

DavidHolmes

Reaction score
My GIVI 52 topbox has worn itself out. I am reluctant to spend £200 on another one which I know will only last two years/60k.

Does anyone know of any topbox available for the GS that is not made of plastic except for the Al Jesse one.
Ideally it should hold two full face helmets, but I would consider anything.

Thanks.

Our own Vern is rumoured to be making up some Aluminium top boxes.

I’ve got his panniers and they are very good. Very strong and very well made. He could probably make you up a top box to your own individual requirements, so try sending him a PM. He’s a great guy to chat to and knows loads about most of the different luggage systems out there. As you don’t seem all that interested in Al Jesse’s boxes the two of you should get on like a house on fire :p

I could make you a nice wooden one. Screwed...not nailed.

Only today, I was sizing up a sheet of ally, that will shortly be a top box shaped piece of ally. Paul f is going to be the guinea pig for this one, so blame him. Should work out like the panniers, any size or colour, whatever you want really.
There must be two Verns, 'cos that Mr Tickle doen't know me:confused:

judge said:
I think David has a set of Al Jessie's already and may be less than impressed with them. And as for all this Vern fan club nonsense, is there more than one Vern in our midst :confused: :D

Far from it Judge. Love my Jesses. And I will buy a topbox from Al (or rather Kiwibob) if I do not find a better quality or substantially cheaper one elsewhere.

The reason I did not buy one with the panniers was because at that time the Jesse topbox replaced the pillion seat, and I liked the idea of the GIVI high level brake lights, and I needed something in a hurry whilst I waited the six months for my panniers.

I'm curious to know how a top box can wear out, I have an E50 and can't see what there is to wear out, all you do is open the lid and close it.

????????????????

Judge: The Remus Revolution / Jesse Panniers worked fine, until the baffle fell out of the Revolution causing the indicator problem. Since obtaining a new baffle I have had no further problems.

Jimb: There are several areas of wear. I have had to replace the four rubber things (which are stuck into the rack, and on which the top box rests) on a regular basis. I do not mind this, I see them as a consumable. The metal pins (providing the contacts for the lights) have fallen out on a couple of occassions, and the contacts (on the rack) have worn away and I have had to regularly top them up with blobs of solder.

The main problem however concerns the two plastic 'lugs' on the rack (nearest to the pillion) and the corresponding slots in the topbox. Both have worn away, so that there is now a good 3cm movement / play in the box when it is supposedly secured down. This free play has accelerated the wear and I have so little confidence left in the topboxes security that I simply dont use it for anything other than leaving helmets in when parked up.

DavidHolmes said:
My GIVI 52 topbox has worn itself out. I am reluctant to spend £200 on another one which I know will only last two years/60k.

Does anyone know of any topbox available for the GS that is not made of plastic except for the Al Jesse one.
Ideally it should hold two full face helmets, but I would consider anything.

Thanks.

Not had a problem with GIVI stuff myself. Then I only do about 10k a year.

My E38 box is 8 years old and shows no signs of wear. Nor the base plates.

£200 for 60k miles does not seem a lot to me. Especially if you consider what other items you have probably worn out in that sort of mileage. Helmet, boots, gloves etc.

Jimb said:
I'm curious to know how a top box can wear out, I have an E50 and can't see what there is to wear out, all you do is open the lid and close it.

????????????????

Me too, well, not an E50 but a 10year old E45.... opens/close operations must have been in four figures by now.

The little red bobbins that hold the string to stop the lid flying off packed up years ago, but the locking mechanism to the rack works okay as does the lid lock.... so I am intrigued that about 60000 miles it will go phut, especially as I am on borrowed time/mileage with mine.....

Tell me more (I don't like Mondays) Tell me more!

Okay, I have never tried to post pictures before

Worn out as in worn out !!!!

As these pictures clearly show...

Oopps. Sorry - seems I'm not allowed to post the pictures.

I might upload them to one of my websites at the weekend, I am not at my main computer at the moment, and thus cannot do it at present.

OK Vern

Ready when you are.

I'd welcome some feedback on the proposed size. The width is pretty much fixed as if it's wider than 400mm, the pannier lids will foul the sides when opening. As for the rest? Tell me (and more importantly Vern) what you think the other dimensions should be. I posted suggestions here.

Back
Top Bottom