LED's ON PANNIERS

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just an idea but i though i'd whack it up here for it to be shot down or otherwise commented on......

With the enormous girth of various pannier systems for gs's and their ilk, has anyone ever tried installing LED's on the bottom outside corners of their panniers??

With minimal current draw and better than ever brightness, I'd imagine that with a nice red led on these corners, they might just make that crucial difference between being hit and not by the average vulva driver......

It's something i'd be thinking of doing when i finally get my new adv ......drilling two small holes in the bottom corners, duct taping ( or similar) the thin cables up along the inside corners of the panniers so theyre protected and out of the way to near the mounts and then having a small weatherproof plug outside of the pannier to go onto its partner which will be cable tied conveniently and hopefully discretly taped or attached to the inside of the pannier rails, powered by the rear running light...

Anything similar been done by you gurus before??

No, but being an LED user, am interested in your ideas.......;)

CC

:cool:

Attachments

• cool carbon tail shot.jpg
    cool carbon tail shot.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 364
Didn't do my panniers but I did do this with my top box?

(the patio and shed have been removed to protect the innocent)

Attachments

• tail small.jpg
    tail small.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 353
I've been toying with a similar idea, but not actually done anything yet! Not so long ago when sitting waiting at lights I heard a squeel of rubber from the car behind, fortunately he stopped in time (just), but it rattled me a touch.
As you mention it, can anybody recommend a suit waterproof connector? I was going to use one rather than leave the GPS lead floating when I haven't got the GPS.

Jim

the really nice way to do this would have contacts in the pannier rail - say sprung brass pins - that mated to permanent contacts on the pannier.
That way you'd get automatic connection / disconnection and no flyleads.

what happens if you forget to disconnect a flylead on a heavy pannier - you'd end up pulling the connector off !

if done correctly the connectors could be quite small and discreet

Phil

I've actually been toying with myself instead...

.....so I can see what's coming?

Attachments

• 5a.gif
    5a.gif
    55.4 KB · Views: 299
Re: I've actually been toying with myself instead...

boundless said:
.....so I can see what's coming?

I give in, what is it.......:confused:

As a simpler solution, why not consider using 'black' reflective sheet. You can get it here either cut to size or ready to cut. Almost invisible in daylight (on a black pannier, natch :p), it lights up very brightly at night.

Mike:)

Attachments

• reflective panniers.jpg
    reflective panniers.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 287
I think I can see myself...

...coming all over like Bhagavad Gita (in the Mahabharata).

" Out of compassion I destroy the darkness of their ignorance. From within them I light the lamp of wisdom and dispel all darkness from their lives."

This

stuff should do the trick .

Attachments

• surething.gif
    surething.gif
    139.5 KB · Views: 288
Vinyl (not a fetish either)

I have additional LED lighting for tail/brake light mounted on my GS but only out by the indicators. I've put the black reflective vinyl on the panniers and it really WORKS. Discrete during the day, but at night what traffic does come up behind me always crawls past until they establish i'm not plod. All in all a lot easier than wiring in extra lights to the panniers and associated 'problems' and gives a very clear indication of vehicle width.

Each to their own though. I can see the interest value of doing all the connections, etc overcoming the waterproofing/connection/disconnection options etc, but i'm just too lazy for it.

Johnieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I velcro’d some bicycle LED's onto my panniers. Each light has 3 high intensity LEDS ( easily as bright as Malky’s widetails ) & run for over 100 hours on 2 common AA batteries. They are easily attached when needed and fit into my pocket when removed. They cost me 6 quid each in Makro.

On a different note, I have fitted a waterproof connector into my right hand pannier. I’ve fitted a 240V inverter, which lets me recharge my camcorder/phone/laptop/MP3 player and portable radio using their standard plugs. The connector that I used for this would also enable you to get a waterproof connection into any pannier.

See here:-

http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/ptb.php

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 198

Back
Top Bottom