Bike Work Table

rob40b

Has anyone invested in a proper hydraulic workshop table for the
bike? I have found one from Machine Mart but before I commit I was wondering if there are better options?

Regards,

Rob

Rob,

do a search for Bike Lift, or something like that - I think The Mechanic bought one earlier this year and posted about it....

Mike:)

bike work table

a guy i know uses a old kings fund hospital bed works a treat except for the extreamly heavy bikes the old ones used a friction riser instead of hydrolics hence the problem with weight
but if you get one cheap.....:beer:

I second Mike's posting about the mechanic. In fact I think he did his back in putting it inside his garage, or whatever.

I myself have a Chinese made Hydraulic one.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/netalogue/shop/buyside/buyside.asp?catref=&profile=0

If you go to that link it's the exact model that I have only in a UK store.

One day a Chinese manufactured hoist came onto the market for $399.00 Australian about 133 pounds sterling. It was really designed for the lightish market segment but is designed to lift 399 Kg or 880 Lbs in total. With about $40 spent on some frame strengthening in the form of welding some 3/4" angle iron and manufacturing my own ramp and some cans of red paint I was in clover.

I can drop the rear end off which makes pulling off the rear or front wheel a doddle and as far as dropping off the bevel drive and shaft for servicing, it's dreamland.

It has two levels of height, 520mm and 700mm and the centre stand sits on the platform at that height which means that I can have the cylinder heads at chest height for valve clearance checking etc, etc, or drop it to have the top of the tank at chest height.

My lift comes apart and is slid under my work bench for storage, that is, after I added some 75mm wooden chocks to the base of the workbench legs. I now don't get a sore back from bending and I also know that my workbench height should be 1,000mm and not 900mm in height, as previous.

Mick.

Machine Mart Hydraulic lift

I have the Machine mart Hydraulic unit. It works fine, you have to get the positioning right so the front/rear balance is correct, the 2 lift bars support the bike under the centre of the bash plate and retracted centre stand. Start on the side stand and pull the bike upright as the lift takes the weight, theres a bit of creaking when lifting but once its up there (approx 500mm of the deck) its fine and reasonably stable on level ground. There is a mechanical lock so you dont have to worry about the hydraulics leaking/passing. I sometimes use a cargo strap to steady the bike -just in case.

Hi Guys - i've just been through a comparison of hydraulic lifting tables for work - we need to lift heavy tool cabinets etc up and down - and with all the health and safety rules - its now a must have requirement.

I looked at all of the available ones and bought one of these .

http://www.probike.co.uk/it030004.htm

Absolutely superb quality and operation.

So much better than Clarke and Machine mart it doesnt warrant comparison.

i nearly bought 3 more for some of the boys here and would have got a discount - worth thinking about .

Phil

Attachments

• it030004.jpg
    it030004.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 2,264
http://www.bikelift.com/eazyrizer.htm

these guys might be able to help you. I thought about getting one but I'd have to take the bars and screen off the gs to make it lift any more than an inch or two in my rather low roofed garage

I've ended up with one of the Italian ones, Tecnital, as Phil suggested. I had already got mine from another source that where cheaper than ProBike and after a few weeks with it and the bike stripped to a bare frame, it seems just the job.

Regards,

Rob

I've got an Eazi Rizer as my garage is somewhat cramped. Works ok and a decent lift height but on boxers you have to be careful not to foul the l/h pot. Also a bit of a b****r getting the lift under the bike as you can't have the centre stand down and have to hold the bike upright with one hand whilst trying to kick the lift under with your foot! OK with my old 100RS but my GS is too heavy to risk it!!

There was a shorter table lift at the Bike Show which was cheaper and better - wish it was around last year.

I was planning to use the machine mart lift at just over £100 and add a peice of steel channel just longer than the wheelbase of the bike to act as wheel holders, when the bike is lifted up I would place axle stands under the channel/wheels for extra security. Can anyone see a problem doing it this way ?, it would certainly be cheaper than a table lift.

Jeff

Bike lift.

I've had mine for sometime now, M & P £340 ish I think. My 1150 sits on it perfectly, so does my Fazer and Transalp (need to use paddock stand or other device with that though as it has no centre stand.

The front wheel clamp is excellent and with a few adjustments you could even fit the bike on arse end first if you desired.

You must use tie downs though on any ramp, its along way down off these things.

My lift takes the bike upto about 4 feet I haven't measured it and the lift can be locked in one of two positions by two seperate locking devices ( a stout pin and a through bar).

Overall if I compare it to the others on the market its better, it has width ajustable front feet, screw down steady pads and a nice (lift table width) big ramp that can be detached in seconds.

The whole thing is sturdy, well made and totally reliable.

I drilled the main axle to add 'R' clips in place of the circlip wheel retainers. Lubricated all the pivot points and spanner checked all nuts and bolts.

RIDE Magazine recently had one on test, the only thing they had trouble with was the stabilser pads fell off, this must be down to RIDES poor assembly technique because mine stay on no matter how I treat it.

The lift goes down very low and this accomodating factor allows you to park a bike on it if space is at a premium.

Buy one you'll not regret it, RIDE said they missed theirs when it went back......bike magazine without a bike lift.....?

You dug deep to find this old thread :)

I bought a Sealey MC390 at a bike show, it was a spure of the moment decision and I paid for it when the wife found out. Still, I’ve had it a couple of years now and comes in so handy for servicing.
bench_litterd_with_tools.jpg

Write up here

I can’t comment too much on other tables, other than this is big enough and strong enough to do the job, some are cheaper but designed for mopeds and little scooters so I’d recommend looking at them in the flesh before buying.

This seemes to be the current model, Look for the link to the promo Price £367.94

Another Sealey owner here:

62988383_Rqb6L-M.jpg

Mine's the 500 kg model. As seen above it's in my mate's garage where it's going to stay and I'm going to buy either this:

fl030005.jpg

or

fl030006.jpg

possibly even

fl030007.jpg

All the above are from Probike (as recommended by Motomartin, above).

The Sealey is okay but the action is a cantilever. That means that the table is in a different position when raised. Like ebbo's appears to be, the table on mine is slightly wonky and won't straighten up.

The Probike ones are all scissor lifts so the bed goes up and not up and back.

I don't know which one I'll buy until I've explored the possibility of recessing the lift into the garage floor so that it's flush when lowered.

You need one of these:

07502b.jpg

yep, thanks for reminding me.

the work bench is part of my plan, i can escape to the garage with a baby monitor on hand :D and at long last get my old lambretta stripped down and rebuilt all while earning brownie points for baby sitting

I don't know which one I'll buy until I've explored the possibility of recessing the lift into the garage floor so that it's flush when lowered.

Been thinking about that as well. It's bad enough wheeling my bike on the flat, without trying to get it onto a platform!
I reckon the best way would be with a scissor table, powered by compressed air, or a remote hydraulic pump. Not sure that the foot levers could easily be used if recessed.
I've not figured out how the usual type of locking pin/bar could work, if it's within a floor recess.

Now just got to wait for ebay producing the right secondhand one, at the right price, and not too far away. I could be waiting for some time.....

Back
Top Bottom