Quest and external aerial

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
My trusty Quest recently stopped receiving a signal so I bought an £8 external aerial off ebay to see if this would cure it.

I just finished fitting it (subtley mounted on the RAM mount) and feck me it's locked on to satelites from within my garage.

So :nenau I hear you say. Well, my garage has a flat roof, a sheet LEAD flat roof. I can't believe any signal could get through there :eek:

Sorry..............but I was impressed :eek:

Andres

As I understand, a lot of Quest modells suffer from poor contact between the unit and the internal (rotating) antenna.
Before you buy new antenna's you might want to look into the reason of the antenna not working.

But on the other hand, external (often "active") antenna's do improve signal.

I'll post the details of the ebay seller this evening as we can't get onto ebay at work :(

And yes, ECM, the original fault is defo the contact with the swivel antenae. I tried fixing it but with no success.

Andres

Nothing wrong with the antenna on my Quest, but I find I lose signal very quickly, especially in cities.

My Tom Tom based PDA does not suffer anywhere near as much, so I am keen to test if an external antenna would improve the Quest as it is a MUCH better GPS unit than Tom Tom !

This is what I bought

I got one form the same seller a while back. My flip up antenna is OK but my Pug 306 has one of those athermic windscreens that blocks the signal. Works very well, even with the long lead (It runs to the back of the car then outside mounted on the roof directly above the tail-gate) it as good or better than the built in Quest antenna.

is a power supply needed?

does the antenna need a power supply - an internal battery? Or does it get power from the antenna socket on the Quest?

thanks
TC

does the antenna need a power supply - an internal battery? Or does it get power from the antenna socket on the Quest?

thanks
TC

AFAIK all the external aerials I've seen (that are powered) don't have a power socket on them. So power down the aerial, quite how it's done :nenau PFM

Not sure if it's passive or active, the MCX connector only has two contacts so I guess it would have to be passive :nenau

All I know is that it works and needs no external power.

Thinking of getting a 2nd one with a short lead and right angle connector to attach to the shoulder strap of my rucksack, will use it for track-logging whilst hiking with my Quest in a pocket.

AFAIK it is active :nenau - there are power consumtion ratings printed on the underside of the unit.

However, as has been said, the only connection is to the extermal aerial socket so I guess it gets its power from here.

Whatever, it works brilliantly :thumb2

Andres

I understand that you places the external aerial by the RAM mount.
Having just purchased one, I would be keen on understanding where exactly you placed your aerial. Would it be possible to see a picture of where you placed the antenna?

Thank you in advance

My trusty Quest recently stopped receiving a signal so I bought an £8 external aerial off ebay to see if this would cure it.

I just finished fitting it (subtley mounted on the RAM mount) and feck me it's locked on to satelites from within my garage.

So :nenau I hear you say. Well, my garage has a flat roof, a sheet LEAD flat roof. I can't believe any signal could get through there :eek:

Sorry..............but I was impressed :eek:

Andres

Andres, I have been here before and posted same in an earlier thread when SilentG had a similar experience on his trusty ol' Boxer (1100S), this time we poked a high gain, self powered antenna behind and under his seat cover and 'bingo' satellites everywhere. Not sure why but sometimes these occur and defy usual logic.

Waldin fitted an external one to his bike a couple of years ago... do a search he had pics etc... mounted on beak;)

Back
Top Bottom