Watch your back!!

Andy Deighton

My recent dice with the devil has made me even more conscious of back protection than I already was.

I was wearing a Savanna1 suit with the optional back protector inserted and the general performance of the suit was extremely good, I didn't have one external scratch on my body.

On the down side the back protector is not very wide and although it helped protect my spine it couldn't stop my left kidney being squidged and some ribs being mashed.

When me and the bike are fixed I want to be wearing something with a bit more protection in those areas.

Call me a cissy if you like but give me some tips anyway.

The nose :angel

Sounds to me like you're thinking of making a habit out of this Andy!

Once bitten......

Simon the theory is - if you put all your rain gear on, it wont rain!

Anyway, an M25 hard shoulder Armco at 50+ when someone's taken your bike away from you hurts (for a long time).

The Nose

Wreford Miles said:
Hi, Andy

I wear a Knox, the silver and black one, it fits well and has a good coverage.

Wreford
Same suggestion - this is probably is the best for the whole back:

0001.gif

THE RACE KC2000 BACK PROTECTOR
Years of practical experience have made Knox back protectors our best selling item. The KC2000 is the latest evolution in protection and comfort. The KC2000 is an update of the best selling KC 100. The new KC 2000 has been anatomically improved to offer more comfort on the bike, - the changes we have made are subtle but very effective. Use of "Trauma-Lite" honeycomb panels ensures that the KC 2000 gives more protection than ever before over a wide area. The "Trauma-Lite" is covered by Carbon/*Kevlar which offers excellent abrasion resistance. The back protector is held in place by a system of adjustable shoulder and waist straps. THE KC2000 - IT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE. Available in the following 5 sizes and now available in ladies sizes.
Mens Tour: 60cm long
Small Mens / Ladies Tour: 53cm long
UK & EU (Inc VAT) £74.99

Ask any Racer and they'll tell you they wouldn't ride without one - it's an essential piece of kit. Ask anyone who has crashed with and without one and they'll tell you the difference. Whether Racing or Touring, whatever bike you ride, a top quality back protector is an essential investment. While no back protector can prevent a broken spine, a well designed one will reduce the amount of injury to the back and can prevent painful injuries such as broken ribs, shoulder blades and other bones in the back. It will also reduce muscle damage which may not be life threatening but can cause immense long term pain.

I'm glad your feeling better Andy - you can check the information and order online at Planet Knox

Words from the wise.

Thanks guys.

I've heard some good words about the KC2000 from other sources over the last couple of days.

I'll be trying one on as soon as I can get out and about.

Thanks again

The nose

Andy:
What size are you mate? I've got a Frank Thomas lower back and kidney protector, unused, cost £50, you can have for £15.
Simon E.

Size matters

Simon

I'm 5'9" with a 32" waist, if you think it'll fit it's a deal even if I only used it as a backup.

Andy

It'll fit you Andy. I'm 36" waist and it just about fits me (it's marked "small" but the removable tag said Extra Large). It fastens up with a chunky patch of velcro on a 4" wide elasticated waistband. Probably fit anybody from 28" to 36". I was just checking in case you were bigger!
Frank Thomas Arma-Sport Plus Kidney Belt.
Keeps your back and kidneys nice and warm too!
Are you up and about yet? Going to Bracken on the 30th? If not, then let me have an address and I'll try to stick it in a jiffy bag and sneak it into the post at work.
Simon E.

Be kind to your kidneys

Simon

Can't get about yet, bikes not mended and I've got to wait another couple of weeks for me ribs to mend. Truth is I'm still breaking into a sweat when I pick the paper up let alone a GS.

I'll send you a private email with an address. If the post costs you I'll pay.

Thanks again Simon

Andy the nose

On its way by snail mail Andy . . . guess you're not in a hurry to get out and use it!
Simon E.

Back
Top Bottom