F650/800GS road test reports by UKGSers

HI there

Read your report re the new 650/800 - being of similar size I'm really interested as to how you get on with it.

I wont be purchasing for some while - as it will have to be a used one (if anybody sells them!) but it would be great to here how you get on with it.

Have fun on your new bike

Cheers

I must agree. It feels like there's 20 BHP on the first 2 mm of throttle. It makes it really difficult in low speeds, especially when standing up. I also test rode a 650 and it was much better. Really smooth and gentle in low speed.

For other bikes there are these kind of aftermarket sets http://www.g2ergo.com/

Does anybody know if there are any differences between the throttle mechanism of the 650 and the 800?

As I understand it, the throttle response at the low end of the range is is down to the fuel injection arrangement that must meet EU emission laws. Gone are the days of silky-smooth carburettors.

Seems to roll on and off much smoother in higher gears though.

I commute in London traffic and did the BMW off-road skills on the 800GS, the throttle response is something you get used to - remember clutch control?

Should have my 800gs by Friday:bounce1

You're going to love it; picked mine up today!

First impressions are.... brilliant machine. Easy to ride, great control (I haven't ridden for eight months and it treated me kindly), super-smooth clutch (I'd been worried about that as it isn't hydraulic), good power when you need it. The brake fluid 'pot' does wobble which is a distraction and the last few millimeters of the front brake grabs slightly causing a dip in the front suspension (that could be me due to the aforementioned eight month break from riding) but I guess that will wear-in with time and use.

I just tootled back across town, took my time, no lane splitting or filtering and thoroughly enjoyed the ride through St. James', Parliament Square, along Embankment and out to Docklands. Can't wait to get some decent miles on her.

Pics later!

has anyone in this threadfest ridden both the ktm 990adv and the 800gs? i'm just curious about the opinions of people who have ridden both.

Yes; had a weekend on a 990 in October last year and just had a few miles on my new 800GS today so a relatively uninformed view. For what it's worth, the GS seems smoother with a less "urgent" feel to it, it feels lighter and more nimble but the ride quality and cornering characteristics, I would say, are very similar. Then again, I haven't taken the GS on dirt yet so I'll get back to you in a week or two on that point.

Think I'm going to wait for the Touratech plastic "thingy" to be available.

Had my plastic thingy delivered last week.

Much improves the "unfinished" look of the wobbly bit and seems to keep it more in check.

Looks more integrated from the front in black - much prefer this over the aluminium.

Attachments

• TAT_0480408B.jpg
    TAT_0480408B.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,926
  • TAT_0480240B.jpg
    TAT_0480240B.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,926
Had my plastic thingy delivered last week. Much improves the "unfinished" look of the wobbly bit and seems to keep it more in check.
Where did you get it? Nippy Normans say they're out and no indication af when they're going to get it and Touratech don't seem to have a clue about which planet they're on.

cussed rant

and Touratech don't seem to have a clue about which planet they're on.

I'm glad someone else is having the same experience. They are a total disaster. Being new to the world of motorbikes and BMW's, you obviously can't avoid them, but it's definitely not a kudos they've built upon service. One week my 800 accessories are there and ready to be posted, the next week they haven't got them in stock yet, but there's a new delivery about to arrive??? This has been going on since...the battle of Hastings I think. Once this headlight protector arrives and handguards, I think I'm forever done with tt, they don't deserve my business. If they're not here before my trip to Italy and the Balkans in July, I'll graff the place on my way through. OK, you can now stand at ease. :aidan

800GS test ride yesterday

Took out a demo bike yesterday while my 1150adv was having its MOT. Quick blast up the motorway, vibes through the handlebars at 80mph, cleared at 85, screen proved effective considering its size, engine felt punchy.:)
On to some b roads and I was impressed with the slick gearbox. plenty of fork movement on heavy breaking:( I guess I am use to the adv's lack of movement.

I few A roads again proved the engine more than capable for overtaking. For a shortish ride 2 hours seat proved fine for me. The quality of the components looked and felt good.

Averaging around 50mpg also was a benefit.

Having a good think over the weekend:mmmm before I make the final decision.

Any thoughts from 800GS owners who have down sized?

Thanks

Tim:thumb

Attachments

• 800gs web.jpg
    800gs web.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,080
Took out a demo bike yesterday while my 1150adv was having its MOT. Quick blast up the motorway, vibes through the handlebars at 80mph, cleared at 85, screen proved effective considering its size, engine felt punchy.:)
On to some b roads and I was impressed with the slick gearbox. plenty of fork movement on heavy breaking:( I guess I am use to the adv's lack of movement.

I few A roads again proved the engine more than capable for overtaking. For a shortish ride 2 hours seat proved fine for me. The quality of the components looked and felt good.

Averaging around 50mpg also was a benefit.

Having a good think over the weekend:mmmm before I make the final decision.

Any thoughts from 800GS owners who have down sized?

Thanks

Tim:thumb

Tim

Not a very substantial opinion having only ridden a 1200GS for four days but the 800GS suits me much better; easier to handle, lighter, more maneuverable at low speeds etc. On the downside is the 16ltr tank and slightly more noticeable vibes but everything's a compromise and the 800GS is the best compromise for me and what I want to do.

Good luck with your decision.

Paul

F800 GS

I opted for the F800GS in the end but it was a close run thing. I took a trip to Devon at the weekend via TouraTech. The plan was to get a luggage rack, some hand guards and a big windscreen. Ironically I dropped the bike at the end of the road with girlfriend and luggage attached to the grab bars. Even though I read the road when I put my left foot down I just couldn't hold it.

I feared the worst but the only damage was a snapped end on the clutch lever. At the point where the two indentations are on the lever. They are probably there for that exact purpose. The irony is not lost on me that I was going to TT to get the protection in case of a fall.

we did 650 miles over the 3 days, two up and the F800 GS did well. on the way up we took a detour into the Cotswolds and on the ride down into Cheltenham they had resurfaced the road in that nasty gravel. There were no white lines and despite the speed limit being 10mph I had car drivers tail-gating me at 20mph.

I was cautious not to dab the front brake as it wouldn't have been pretty if I'd lost the front end up there.

on the M6 in the pouring rain and in a 50mph cross wind on the Severn bridge the bike performed brilliantly. There was always power on tap even when in 6th gear and as the conditions deteriorated the bike appeared to revel in it and perform better.

I love it and am greatly looking forward to my ride to the Alps in 3 weeks. The TT spoiler makes a reasonable improvement to the wind blast even though I wanted the large screen. The large screen is in their catalogue but when I went to purchase it they say it's in development. The rear rack is robust and versatile and I've yet to fit the hand guards.

I will definitely get an airhawk for the long haul trips though.

Jon :thumb2

The TT spoiler makes a reasonable improvement to the wind blast even though I wanted the large screen.
Jon :thumb2

Interesting...I wondered if all that screen needed was a little 'flip' to help the wind over my head. It's not like its turbulent, its a very tidy slipstream. Can I ask how tall you are please?

Interesting...I wondered if all that screen needed was a little 'flip' to help the wind over my head. It's not like its turbulent, its a very tidy slipstream. Can I ask how tall you are please?

I'm 5' 7" (176cm) and the screen is just enough. Because the standard screen is quite narrow some air flow gets around the sides. When riding two up the pillion gets most of the blast now and the screen extension does vibrate a bit in the airflow because there is no support as you know behind the screen other than the allen bolts at the bottom. I suspect the large screen is still in development for this very reason. I wonder if they will use a metal support behind in the same way they do for the 1200GSA.

I put the TT handguards on last night and they are a big improvement. I'm just fine tuning their position at the moment to get maximum protection.

Jon

My impressions of the F800GS

I finally got my F800GS last thursday, and i rode it all day today through the appennino mountains here in central Italy, through wonderful twisting roads, mountains and woods. 500 km in a day, I guess I need to book the first service soon! :)
Well, what to say. I like it a lot. Feels right from the very beginning, the riding position, levers an pedals feel exactly where I want them to be, and everything is very smooth! (but maybe I am too used to my old R80, or my other off road bike, both of them are anything but smooth).
Handling, engine and brakes are the highlights for me. I like the handling, I have been tossing the bike around the corners as I always rode it. Engine is snappy and torquey (though a bit on the noisy side for my taste).
I have to say that I spent so much time reading all the posts here in the last months that I was expecting to experience all the hiccups and problems I have read here. Well, apart from stalling the engine 3 times everything else is just fine (but I would not see this as a real issue, it happens also with other bikes, and it happened to me only when I was downshifting without blipping the throttle a bit between gears).
Very happy with the bike, and look forward to more rides!
Gianluca

Just back from a two week tour to Denmark with Gracie :)

Stayed seven nights in a wooden cabin at the MCTourcamp at Kolind, then just one night B & B at the MC-Campfyn at Ringe (both motorcycle only camp sites) Great people, warm welcome, fantastic time :thumb

Ferry crossing Harwich to Esbjerg and rode home via Germany's Harz mountains and the Eifel. 2,400 mile round trip, the F800GS has now done 8,300 miles in total.

My only gripe is the bloody windscreen :eek: It's so noisy that even custom made earplugs make no difference at all. As Tim C mentions elsewhere, I have an aching neck and shoulders as a result of those miles :(

Waiting to try the BMW higher screen for the 800GS but not so sure that it will be much better. Seen the latest version from Wunderlich but it's not available just yet.... looks like a 1200GS Adventure screen. Rather think though that without the extra support it will be a bit 'floppy' at the top... time will tell.

Everything else just perfek :thumb2

At 8,300 miles I'm on my second set of tyres, replacing the originals with my beloved Metzeler Tourance. The chain still going strong having only been adjusted just once :eek: Seems to be lasting longer than the 1200's gearbox/shaft seals then eh :augie

EWS ring gear replaced via recall, otherwise no problems. Bolts being replaced bit by bit with stainless allen versions. Paint and engine finish as new even after some horrendous conditions in the Black (read white) Forest in May.

I'll be perfectly happy to ride the F800GS overland through Europe, Turkey, Iran and Pakistan and in to India next year with Gracie... returning, of course, the Long Way Home :D

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

Attachments

• Stone Circle.jpg
    Stone Circle.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,894
  • Home.jpg
    Home.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,894
F650 Great for Short People

I recently took out an F650GS and my first reaction to the bike is well done BMW for introducing a bike for us shorter people. :bounce1 I actually found the extra lowered bike too low so that is good news for anyone with a short leg. I am 5'6" and will go for the standard suspension with the lower seat.

I am looking for a bike to ride into the City and this is ideal. It feels small but it isn't. It turns easily and its a nice weight for those of us who are not into weight lifting. Its got great acceleration and I really enjoyed riding the bike.

I found the ride very enjoyable, the only thing I might change is a slightly higher screen and add a scotoiler and some engine protection bars.

Another recommendation is its 6,000 service, all my other bikes are 4,000

Just back from a week off in the mountains in central Italy "monti Sibillini". I have done some 1.600km (am now at 4.000km after 6 weeks! not bad!) and the bikes is great! I have done some gravel and dirt roads too, with the standart tyres, and the bike handles very well. I just would like to try it with some knobbly tyres now...

I have installed adventure-spec bashplate and it's great. just looking forward to the engine bars. The standard TT case kit (29/35) is excellent too, although there is not too much space!

And finally, even after the software update, the bike still stalls. Yes. Not as often as before, but it did it again 2/3 times. I am looking forward to the next update that seems to be out in september. together with the BMW handguards, that seem very difficult to get here in Italy.

I posted here some pics from the week
http://www.gianlucamarucci.com/motociclando/Bolognola_Agosto_2008.html

cheers
Gianluca
------------------------------
www.gianlucamarucci.com

Just fitted the BMW 'touring screen' to my F800GS and it's still bloody noisy :eek:

OK, maybe not as noisy as the GBH suffered by the standard screen, and I can ride at 30 to 40mph (OK I know I shouldn't) with the Schuberth C2 flip front in the raised position. But it's not as quiet as it should be for the money :eek:

Off to Ireland in the morning for a week touring with the mates from Cork, so will know better by the end of the week ;)

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom