Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. New and secondhand BMW parts.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump controller workaround

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Fuel pump controller workaround

Robin, of this parish, was kind enough to give me the plug from the bottom of his written off fuel controller.

With this I was able to make a work around fix, enabling me to run the bike’s fuel pump without its controller, should my controller also fail.

I discovered that my controller was sitting in a deep puddle of murky water, dead flys and what our US cousins might call rocks. I call it small stones and grit. All in all, it’s not surprising water eventually gets into the controller unit, writing it off, leaving you stuck.

The controller is easy to remove, only two brass screws to undo.

Once the controller is out, you can see the plug and socket, sitting underneath.

I made a simple flying lead, using Robin’s donor plug. I had originally planned to power the plug from the switched auxiliary socket in the beak. Like most cunning plans this fell at the first. I discovered that the fuel pump must draw more than 5 amps, as the canbus simply switched off each time.

I made a second flying lead and ran it to the battery, via my Optimate’s flying lead. This gave me a suitably fused power supply. The only downside is that, as it is not switched via the ignition, the fuel pump runs continuously. This is not a problem as it is easy enough to simply disconnect the lead from the battery, no more difficult than plugging my Optimate in and out.

Whilst digging around for some connectors I found a spare Optimate battery flying lead. I will keep this to use should a friend’s (without an Optimate lead) controller break.

Having got the fuel pump spinning, I started the bike....Bingo!.....One bike running, without a fuel pump controller, without a problem. Certainly good enough to get me home.....or further.

A big “Thank you” to Robin for donating the plug.

Well done Wapping. 10/10

solid stuff wapping.

heres a question for you, as you seem to be that way inclined.... if we can run the bike by bu-passing the relay, and a relays function (I assume) is to stop current surgess etc to the fuel pump... why do we actually need the relay? is the relay actually controling the current flow?.... yes I'm a Mechky and was lousy at the sparky bits...

Quote Originally Posted by deaninkl View Post
    solid stuff wapping.

heres a question for you, as you seem to be that way inclined.... if we can run the bike by bu-passing the relay, and a relays function (I assume) is to stop current surgess etc to the fuel pump... why do we actually need the relay? is the relay actually controling the current flow?.... yes I'm a Mechky and was lousy at the sparky bits...
    That's a very good question....

I will ask a friend of mine - who worked, for years, for Visteon / Fords on the engine fueling side in USA and Germany, to see if he can come up with an answer. He has got a 1200 and was unaware of the failure risk.

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    i've been told 2 reasons for the pump controller...

1. there is a pressure relief/bypass valve on the 11 series bikes that is not fitted to 12

2. it minimises electrical draw on the 1200 watch battery. don't give that one too much credence myself.

Alternative Solution

A good fix
    A pity that after year 4 of production the problem has still not been sorted and retrofitted under warranty for all owners.

I copied another fix from adventure rider, printed it and keep it with my vehicle documents.I have another for bypassing the sidestand switch.

Fit 2 jumper cables( std household flex will do) from Pin 1 on the external multiplug (3 pin)that fits to the top of the controller to pin 1 on the multiplug below the controller( 2 pin).

Jump from Pin 2 on the external multiplug (3 pin)that fits to the top of the controller to pin 2 on the multiplug below the controller( 2 pin).

Pin 1 is the +ve supply
    Pin 2 is the -ve return.

Job done, controller bypassed and now has a direct feed. Another option if you dont have a ready made cable to bypass.

Many ways to skin etc etc..........

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    Good post Wapping. I have "stickied" it in the 1200 section and copied it over to the Font of all Wisdom section too.
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Brilliant have you got the polarity of connector you butchered?

I was just going to ask the same Q. Can you do a diagram of the wires please? I,E. which pin on each plug/socket is + and - .

... This, like the ring antenna is a common problem and has persisted for years. It's doubly irritating because, like the antenna, it will leave you stuck at the road-side and it's never convenient when it does happen.

... Is there any way we can collectively group a response to the BuMW Super-Cheese about both problems, perhaps along the "not fit for purpose lines"

... We will do BuMW as much of a favour as we do ourselves, it must be costing them a fortune not to be fixing these problems, whilst we bend over, grip the collective ankles and take it up the inconvenience cornhole.

... I'm back in UK in 10 days time. I'm quite prepared then to stick my head above the parapet for the greater good. I would appreciate some advice and support if opinion suggests this is worth going for. What say the assembled?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bede View Post
    ... This, like the ring antenna is a common problem and has persisted for years. It's doubly irritating because, like the antenna, it will leave you stuck at the road-side and it's never convenient when it does happen.

... Is there any way we can collectively group a response to the BuMW Super-Cheese about both problems, perhaps along the "not fit for purpose lines"

... We will do BuMW as much of a favour as we do ourselves, it must be costing them a fortune not to be fixing these problems, whilst we bend over, grip the collective ankles and take it up the inconvenience cornhole.

... I'm back in UK in 10 days time. I'm quite prepared then to stick my head above the parapet for the greater good. I would appreciate some advice and support if opinion suggests this is worth going for. What say the assembled?
    Bebe, I have asked the same question a couple of times, the forum members here are a big group of people the US adventure site has even more GS riders. Why are we not doing something about this at least in the UK/Europe or US..... I really can't understand a manufacturer that allows this to persist if they are aware of the problem.

Does anyone here have a good idea about how we can start a collective complaint and have it put infront of BMW UK?

I live in Malaysia and the most hardened GS fanatic I know recently gave up and bought a Versys.... he still runs a dedicated GS shop but is fed up with the response from BMW to his complaints and decided eventually to let his feet do the talking, (he lost a finger in a servo failure on a down hill twisty in Thailand...).

It's a lot of work, but do-able

Quote Originally Posted by deaninkl View Post
    Does anyone here have a good idea about how we can start a collective complaint and have it put infront of BMW UK?
    ... The approach bit is relatively easy, 'we' draft a formal letter from the collective tossers (a substantial group of international GS owners) politely suggesting that we've collectively had enough. It would be prudent to highlight the benefits to BuMW were they to respond positively.

... Depending on that first response 'we' might need to subsequently infer, in equally polite terms, that if these problems are not properly resolved they might require the attention of consumer protection regulators in all countries where the product is marketed. BuMW are continuing to place known flawed product into the hands of innocent consumers etc, etc.

... The initial letter should be addressed to the Head of BuMW Motorrad in Germany, copied to the managing directors of BuMW Motorrad divisions in the countries where the product is sold. Then wait ... a bit!

... Second (if required) and subsequent letters should then go to increasingly influential 'bodies'

... An escalation path is required and it should not go thermo-nuclear until BuMW have had proper opportunity to address the issue.

... Here's where I would need help.

- 1 - Define the issues
    - What are the specific technical issues at component level
    - Which models are affected
    - When did these problems first arise
    - How long have they persisted
    - How many bikes have been affected (% of total production)
    - What have the effects been to owners/riders
    - What do we estimate the cost has been to BuMW
    - Insert your contribution(s) here
    (First stumbling block, if only 2% of bikes are affected, we would be pissing in the wind!)

- 2 - Who are the complainants
    - Gather a list of those willing to 'sign' up (how many can we muster)
    - Establish which territories are affected
    - Agree a forum(s) for maintaining contact/news (eg. UKGSer, ADVRider, GSClub, BMWmoaners clubs)

- 3 - What is the required solution?

- 4 - Who can resolve the defined issue

- 5 - What is the escalation model?

... you would hope that BuMW actually read this and simply deal with the issue(s) without the need for all this bollocks. However the track record so far isn't encouraging, it seems they prefer to weather the warranty costs.

... Is it worth inviting BuMW to participate in this process, once the issue is defined
    ... Rationale - Because they might just take the hint and avoid the need for a mass customer whinge

... Is it worth inviting dealers to spearhead the charge
    ... Rationale - They are first in the firing line of the disgruntled customer

... As I said before, I'm prepared to stick my noggin over the parapet, but without support and assistance I'm not up for tilting at windmills on a one-Bede crusade. The collective may well wish for somebody else more moderate or influential to be chief cheerleader, which is fine by me too.

... What say the assembled?

Quote Originally Posted by parkys100 View Post
    Brilliant have you got the polarity of connector you butchered?
    Quote Originally Posted by bustupbiker View Post
    I was just going to ask the same Q. Can you do a diagram of the wires please? I,E. which pin on each plug/socket is + and - .

I can't see my pic's at the moment but from memory:

Blue was neutral.

White was positive.

Robin's 'second hand' plug had a white lead and a blue lead. Mine was a yellow (I think) and a blue - maybe his had just faded or because mine is a GSA and his, I think, a vanilla 1200GS? Either way, blue was neutral.

Re the Bede’s post.

Whilst oft banded about, ‘Not fit for purpose’ will just set BuMW laughing. It’s a phrase that’s tossed about like confetti and just about as solid or useful.

I don’t think anyone needs to be terribly aggressive or technical with BuMW. Rest assured they have an awful lot of people a lot more technical than us....some of them might even know why the damned controller is there.

Better, surely, to stick to the simple facts?

(1) Does anyone know if the newer ‘08 bikes have been significantly altered? If so, BuMW probably know about the problem, though they are unlikely to admit it.

(2) Does it look like the alteration is retrofittable, or is it some complicated moulding, different beak, different controller, making it impossible?

(3) It is sufficient to say that there is more than just anecdotal evidence to suggest the controllers are failing, regularly. That being said, mine has done 22,000 and has lasted longer than the final drive, hey-ho.

(4) That the cause of the failure would seem to be ingress of water, into the delicate circuitry boards of the controller unit. The hollow that the pump sits in becoming a swimming pool. Use my picture if you like.

(5) The circuitry fails, leaving the bike without a fuel pump. Good for the environment, perhaps but not so useful for getting from A-B.

(6) Ask if BuMW are aware of the problem? Ask if they intend to offer a solution or to simply wait until enough broken down owners have arrived at BuMW’s spares desk?

Sit back and see what happens.

PS Ask what the controller actually does, perhaps? I am not convinced it's a good idea to run too far without it in place, without knowing what it does, exactly. It's a get you home fix, not I'm cleverer than BuMW and can out engineer them. I'm an insurance clerk....I know my limits.

PPS You do not need an army of thousands. BuMW will not be impressed one bit. Write a nice letter to BuMW to the Customer Services Manager, BuMW Motorrad in Bracknell.

(1) Does anyone know if the newer ‘08 bikes have been significantly altered? If so, BuMW probably know about the problem, though they are unlikely to admit it.
    The '08 GSAs are just like teh earlier models. My relay is currently semi-submerged in its own paddling pool, no cover at all.
    The only thing I am master of is my own destiny, and at best only half of it - the rest is entirely random.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by CityBum View Post
    The '08 GSAs are just like teh earlier models. My relay is currently semi-submerged in its own paddling pool, no cover at all.

One mystery solved.

I am surprised we haven't seen a string of threads, so "Some XXXX's niicked my fuel controller".

I was just looking at a couple of GS's parked up...it would be so easy....

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast