► Bashplates, crash bars and other protection

HR0

Reaction score
I spoke to TT today, they haven't got any F800GS bits in for my order ( top and bottom enging bars hang guards and tank bag) and no expected delivery date from germany but they did say they would ask ?

i did explain that i thought that as TT tested the bike before launch so they have had time to make a stock and that all the bits were advertised they shouldn't accept orders that they have on indication as to when they could honour them.

I mounted my new BMW bashplate yesterday,looks very nice in black powder coating.
While in Sweden had a look at the Toratech one,which comes in two parts,one for the eninge and one for the oilfilter/cooler.

Glad I got the BMW one ,looks much better,front will cover the oilcooler/filter:D

TT Crud catcher

I just noticed on the touratech website they are now selling a crud catcher to fit on the BMW metal bashplate.

It has the added advantage of storage space for tools :beerjug:

01-048-0165-0_I_01.JPG

Which crashbar for the F800GS? BMW or TT?

ok, after much thinking I finally ordered my 800GS and this is due to arrive end of June, not bad! it will be sitting next to his older sister, my trustworthy GS basic!

I am planning to use this bike next year in southamerica, overlanding from Peru' to Tierra del Fuego, so mostly on gravel roads.

I ordered the bike with the Alu bashplate, and I also wanted the BMW crashbars, which seem sturdy and well built. I finally decided to hold for this, as I am not sure they are really useful, as they do not cover the fairing, and even less the radiator.

I think the main purpose of the crashbars should be to protect the radiator when crashing the bike. The engine itself does not seem to be that much exposed. I also saw that TT is producing their own version which goes further up to cover the fairing and apparently the radiator.

Any advice? shall i go for the BMW, the TT, or shall i just give up?
thanks!
grazie!
gianluca

------------------------------
www.gianlucamarucci.com

I think the BMW crash bars might be the better option... but I'm waiting to see. I believe that probably Touratech will have developed BMW's crash bars for them only to be told that now Touratech can't sell it, only the dealers, so Touratech have now to develop a crash bar of their own to sell... which will, per se, not be as good as their first design which BMW have sole rights to sell :eek:

This happened with the sump guard/engine protection plate it would appear!

So Touratech get wise and develop crap looking handguards which then BMW sell in their parts listing.... for Touratech to then develop their own version for sale in their catalogue. I'm waiting for mine from Touratech :thumb

In Germany next week and will be looking at the Hepco & Becker version if available, but for now the BMW's look the best option methinks.

Radiator protection... it's designed to 'move across' in a fall so we could probably get away with a crash bar that's not totally on the outside of it :mmmm

Just my thoughts on the issue...

Yeah those are nice - look like they would do the job of keeping the engine/radiator/fairing/indicators off the floor. Less intrusive than the TT ones too. Where from please? Can find any Givi suppliers listing them :(
As they are Givi, Bykebitz just down the M3 from t'Smoke in Yately can probably order them for you.
http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/

They sell the Givi luggage systems but don't seem to have the any BMW fit bars on their website so suggest phoning them.

Well, at least it seems there are options! the GiVi one is good, agree. and I got some of them in the past years on a transalp and do the job of saving expensive japanese fairings!

I still have 2 issues though: both the GiVi and the TT use as attach point the frame just behind cylinders ( you can see in the pic here the TT one)
01-048-0302-0_I_01.JPG

and i am not entirely sure that in case you hit hard, you are safe from twisting the trelly. that is why not everybody is using crashbars. On the other side the BMW one seems to be better designed as it is attaching down to the engine cases, but it does not go up to save the radiator, which is the only really exposed part...

well... i still have time, I guess best is to wait and get the bike first, and then I'll figure out the best solution...

Gianluca
------------------------------
www.gianlucamarucci.com

I’m out here far South, in fact South Africa and should be receiving my F800GS in 3 weeks. I like your Givi Bar and was hoping that your could send me some more photo’s of the bar especially the lower section where they mount.
I would like to makeup my own set.

Thanks
Gerrit
gerrit@symara.co.za

The comments about frame and engine attachment leave me wondering what exactly one is trying to protect with crash bars. I suppose it boils down to stuff that stops you riding the bike, at least for a couple of hundred miles or so, as opposed to the prettiest or most expensive bits.

This in turn makes me wonder what the showstoppers are that really need protection. I think levers probably don't count on the basis that it's easy to to carry spares of those whereas a radiator or rectifier are not so easily carried.

The comments about frame and engine attachment leave me wondering what exactly one is trying to protect with crash bars. I suppose it boils down to stuff that stops you riding the bike, at least for a couple of hundred miles or so, as opposed to the prettiest or most expensive bits.

Most "protection" is only good for low speed stuff, maybe below 30 mph. Above that, all that you'll do with the bars etc is transfer the damage to something that isn't protected, just like the 1150 GSA engine bars :blast

So I fit bars for the walking speed off's, if it's any quicker me / the bike will probably need alternative transport :(

that is exactly the point i was making with the original post. I have some experience offroad having done enduro reces and rallies for a few years, and with a single cylinder what you need to protect are the carter and radiators. With the GS800 once you have put the BMW bashplate, which seems to be very protective, you should be ok for the engine carters.

I am not sure about the crashbars, because they do not protect neither the fairing, nor the radiator. that is why i am holding. I have used the GiVi ones on a transalp years ago and they were well thought and built, because they used to cover the fairing and the radiator as well. these seem to be quite low. the only set that seems to do the job are the TT ones (with the optional extension) but seems to be too complicated nd with too many bolts...

I do not want to add unnecessary weight to the bike, or just put them on because they look cool.

gianluca

Hmm... Had a play on the Metal Mule 800GS at the BMF show and it had some Metal Mule accessories on it. Bash plate, brake fluid reservoir protector and probably other bits I missed.

Don't know if they are in production yet as there's nothing mentioned on the website but it might be worth a call. I think Bike magazine were going to do a piece on it, but I don't read it so don't know if it's been out yet.

Details are on the home page of the web site: http://www.metalmule.com/

BASHPLATE £139.99 - made of 4mm strong NS4 grade aluminium, protects crankcase and extends right back to the centre stand.

RADIATOR GRILL £39.99 - to protect your F800's radiator from flying stones, made of 2mm anodised aluminium mesh, stylish yet tough.

RECTIFIER COVER 19.99 - made of 2mm anodised aluminium, protects this vulnerable electronic component, looks good too.

FRONT & REAR BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR COVERS £33.99/£24.99- our 2mm anodised aluminium guards provide both support and protection for your brake fluid reservoirs.

METAL MULE BALANCE SYSTEM £229.99 - allows the fitting of equal-size panniers on both sides of the bike. Built to Metal Mule's specification by Scorpion, the balance system consists of a link pipe and oval end can, which positions the exhaust closer to the bike.

Tim

I'm not amazingly mechanically minded but having had a quick look at the instructions for my GIVI Bars decided it looked straightforward enough. It was all very easy except that the bolt that fits bottom left front is NOT long enough so you need to go to a motor factors and get a longer one. They look very fine now fitted.

BMW crash bars are not available yet and there is said to be a "production problem" - I have been waiting since March.

Fitting the BMW bashplate
Fitting the BMW bashplate is fairly easy. On the F650GS you need to purchase the £25 bashplate kit comprising four rubber 'silentblock' adapter screws, a screw to go across the front and five nuts.

This comes with a 60-page multilingual manual of which you need just six pages (at this stage mathematicians might now deduce there are 10 languages covered). With some forethought this might have been cut to just four pages per language. Problem is, though, this manual is for the installation of the rather useless plastic guard, not the aluminium plate. So 0 out of 10 for the instructions.

Anyway, if you turn your bike upside down you will discover three prominant screw positions. These aren't the ones you want. You need the four recessed screw positions, and you screw the four silentblock adapters into them and secure them with a 21mm socket (use a wheel brace from your car).

Loosely position the collared nuts on the adapter, then insert the screw into the front position. I spent some time trying to get this through the opposing side before realising it was a screw fit and the fifth nut isn't needed as the bashplate already has a captive nut.

After sorting that, just tighten everything (preferably with a torque wrench).

The second photo (before installing the bash plate) shows the result after just 11 miles of offroad, so I might be fitting something to the front mudguard to cut the crap.

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_1785e.jpg
    IMG_1785e.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,027
  • IMG_1786e.jpg
    IMG_1786e.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3,113
transparent headlight protection

Hi everyone,
has anyone seen or heard from any BMW dealer of the transparent headlight proector for the F800GS?

I saw it on the photos of the TT africa trip last year, and it is supposed to be one of those parts TT has developed for BMW.
But my dealer knows nothing about it, and on the TT catalog you can only find the metal grid.

thanks!

yes, touratech are making it for BMW but it's not been made yet. i considered waiting for this but with HID's you also need to get the surround to prevent the glare reflecting back off the perspex, so i decided to opt for TT's black grid which i think might actually look better on the more off-road orientated 800.

Hi there

I do have it on my bike and is BMW's. i ordered it with the bike.

It is VERY CLOSE to the one on the picture. Very convenient as you can take it of really quikly and without any tools. Is like the one for the GS1200 but it is attached to the aluminium plates, not like in the 1200 that you must change the headlight "frame".

IT WORKS

Regards

Fran

Back
Top Bottom