Barcelona to Santander

robb

Reaction score
Has anyone done Barcelona to Santander in one hit? If so how long did it take please?

Reason we are going to watch the Catalan GP in June and there is a ferry back at 18:00 on Monday. I reckon my new big comfy GS will eat the 400 or so miles but some of my Fazer, VFR, Fireblade mates are worrying about the distance.

cheers...Rob

No I haven´t done it myself, although I will be shortly. Its around 700 kms and you take the Mway to bilbao, zaragoza, Lleida and Bcn.

expect 5-6 hours with stops - probably more for yer poncy mates to check their hairdos and polish the plastic.:rolleyes:

Montmeló is around 30-40 minutes outside of barcelona (towards France)

Robb, R U camping or Hotel? done the Cat GP brilliant!

What price the crossing?

TD

Greg and Myself rode Victoria to Gibralter last year in one hit 640 miles no problem.

The roads in Spain easliy allow this we also did Gib to Benicarlo which is South of Barcelona. 600 miles in 8 hours and some of that was on bendy stuff.

My recomendation is to have an early start and break the jurney.

Set off at Seven and ride hard for 3 hours... By doing this you could knock of 240 miles before a mid morning breakfast at 10.00.

You've then got all day to ride 160 miles.

When I left Benicarlo I did the first 340 miles in 4 hours.

It's all about a little bit of discipline... set your goals and stick to them.

e.g.
Leave at seven sharp 'that means on the bike' no pissing around
All bikes fulled up the night before
When you stop for fuel no fags phone calls or coffe, it's helmets left on one person fills all the tanks and pay on one card.. a quick turn around is the goal.
Plan your stop 3 hours and 240 miles away and have every one comit to reaching that place as the first stop.

Have fun

Hotels - we did it two years ago but came back from Caen on the following Wednesday after some fun in Andorra, Toulouse, Le Mans and La Rochelle. One of our number got us some cracking hotels via a spanish girl he deals with at work.

We are looking at £230 each for a group of 4 ( 4 bikes and a 4 birth cabin both ways). There will probably 8 of us doing it

Wreford Miles said:
It's all about a little bit of discipline...

quite right!

You can go pretty fast on Sapnish motorways, but beware, they aren´t as good as the French and the Police (Guardia Civil - green uniform, shinny black hats) are famous for their interpersonal skills and splendid sense of humour. Have good one. if you want me details Robb, just in case PM me.

Rob,

I've done Barcelona to Bilbao fairly easily in a day but your mates on Fireblades etc could have problems with the number of fuel stops they'll have to make :D

Seriously if you can get away before 08:00 and don't hang about you should make it OK.

A word of warning though. Any big group of bikes tends to cover distances slower than a solo rider as there's always loads of pissing about at fuel/food stops. You have to be organised and disciplined to get through fuel stops in a reasonable amount of time.

It might even be worthwhile splitting up into pairs/threes determined by fuel range and arrange to meet in Santander.

Just my opinion of course.

Cheers

Dick

millage

Another thing to consider is speed, if the blades etc do over 110 mph for example they will not be making the most of fuel / time ratio .

I came back from Andora solo om my VFR doing 130 + on the mways when in hind sight would have been better off at 90 mph and less fuel stops. Still it was fun till the cow ran out in front of me 10k from caen.

:confused:

Thanks for the comments guys.
We are having a get together next week to discuss the finer points. The comments about fuel stops is a good one as when we went last time one of the group had a Firestorm which would only did about 100 miles at a time. The remainder were all around 180-200 per tank which was manageable.

Back
Top Bottom