Romania !!!!!!

Personally, I love the country. Yes, it's dangerous on the road and many of the roads are in appalling condition, but the people are great, the food's good and it's still cheap for "us westerners".

I didn't have any problems with speed traps or cops there, unlike some of the other countries in that area :nenau

To summarise, I'd happily go there again.

I didn't have any problems with speed traps or cops there, unlike some of the other countries in that area :nenau

Then you must have been very lucky.
We saw loads and on the Arad/Sibiu road there was a radar trap in about 50% of the restricted sections - only stopping the foreign plated vehicles of course.

have planned the E68 to the E81 to bucharesti after popin in to brasov.. this is the main highway...bugger
any sujested other route to get to Brasov?

hi ugg,

is not the fastest nor the shortest route but if you have enough time, can try this: Arad - Oradea - Cluj-Napoca - Targu-Mures - Sighisoara - Brasov.
i have no info about the first sector (Arad-Oradea) but the rest of the route deserved to be done. until Brasov it deserves to spend a couple of hours in Sighisoara visiting it.

btw, E81 does not touch Brasov. the closest point is Sibiu but the sector Sibiu - Brasov is a real mess.

if you tell us what's your plans (places to visit) in Romania, i can give you some dirrections.

enjoy your trip!

Cheers bogo:beerjug:

it looks a good route, were trying to find Vlad's castle , was told its around brasov area..so the plan was the E81 then head off towards brasov..

Will the route ye gave us takes us any where the castle?

wer heading towards Bulgaria , so bucuresti to varna is the way wer heading to home base..

Ta ugg

from the castle we will then be heading for constanta , then varna. bulgaria

now is all clear :)
so, Vlad's castle is in Bran (less than 30km from Brasov on the way to Campu-Lung - Pitesti). since you want to meet Vlad, i renew my sugestion: do not miss Sighisoara!

from brasov to constanta you have 3 choices:
1. brasov - ploiesti - bucuresti - constanta (autoroute) and then varna
2. brasov - cheia - valenii de munte - ploiesti - bucuresti - constanta
3. brasov - intorsura buzaului - buzau - slobozia - constanta

now:
1. is the principal way. very crowded. not reccomended
2. very scenic until ploiesti.
3. ... i would take this one
(2 combined with 3 are our prefered 1 day trips and you'll see why)

from constanta to varna you can stop a bit in vama veche (last village before ro-bg border) it's not what it was but still remain one of the last hippie bastion.

also as a sugestion, do not stay in varna. is a medium-not-much-to-see city. instead you can stay somewhere in albena, burgas, nessebar or obzbor. these are much more touristic oriented places.

________
LE: soo, you want drinking places... then vama veche is a must! but try to avoid saturdays and sundays. friday night is perfect! (you can stay overnight and you're at only 80 km by varna.)

Last edited:
so, Vlad's castle is in Bran (less than 30km from Brasov on the way to Campu-Lung - Pitesti).

So this is on the E547..towards pitesti after we can drop on the A1 /E81 to Constanta just need to find a route up to the E60 towards urziceni to carry on to Slobozia?....

thanks for info..wer you at? we could drop by for a potta ,tea:D

ugg

you've perfectly right. the route from brasov to pitesti is not a bad choice. but from pitesti to constanta you have to ride about 270 km of autoroute which have no fun. and also you gotta cross bucharest which, bellive me, is not a think i'd do in one of my vacantion days :)

i live in bucharest now and yes, i'll be happy to drink something togather and have a chat.

yup map readin is ok wen ye have lines all over , but wen ye on the road , different thing all together , thats why im getin as much info before hand.
end of the day wer just gona go for it:D

will post up on this thread before we go n we hopefully should be by Romania on the forth or fifth day ..set off from UK 18th July on the ferry from hull.:thumb

ta for now ugg

Buna Dimineata Bogo! glad to find another Tosser in Romania!

Been meaning to reply to this thread but finding time has been hard.... I think Dazzer had a bad time and got the Arad to Brasov DN1 at its worst. It is a busy road with crap drivers and a lot of pollution - I should know I have spent the last two years commuting between Hunagry and Brasov - and used this route for speed as far as Deva (then cut of to Lugoj and Timisoara).

The road in from Oradea is much nicer - excellent tarmac most of way once you are 30km past Oradea. Nice views and allegely the best mici in Romania is found in the village of Negrini along the route. Traffic in the cities is fun but easier than london or Manchester... just keep your eyes on the road!

As Bogo said Sighisoara is worth a visit - hotel sighisoara lets you park round back if you ask nicely, Casa cu Cerb is my favourite if you want a nice bed... a cheaper option is to stay in my area in a village guesthouse in the Saxon Villages... I can help you arrange that if you want - about 20€ bnb and a real good insight into rural romania. www.fundatia-adept.org - we have a TIC based in Saschiz (I live there too...) 20 km on road to Brasov. But best to make arrangements in advance.

Brasov is well worth a visit and I recommend http://www.pensiuneastejeris.ro/ on the hill above - parking for bike, good rooms and cheaper than staying in centre (10 min walk down 2-3€ back in a taxi) Nice family run place with a wonderful terrace.

Then detour to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poienari_Castle is the real Vlads castle and it is on the Transfagarasian Highway! Sorry cant find the waypoint at the moment

Long day out from Brasov but doable

Then Bogo's route 3 to Constansa sounds good!

Romania is a terrifying scary place with expensive beer, ugly women, rain, 3€ a litre fuel, .... the list is endlesss .... you really dont want to come... that way you will be safe and not at risk.....

of wanting to stay!!

When you coming - maybe you come to visit! And I can tell you I told you so.....

Ride safely .....

We were in Romania one month ago, nothing but good memories!
Don't expect drivers to be very polite like in western part of Europe. Nobody will let you through if you are just waiting for that - but just go and everybody will accept you. And don't forget to keep your eyes open all the time, because somebody else may be driving like you too :D
And yes, it's very busy traffic, but not too big problem if you are riding a motorcycle.
Little story about our trip here:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352679

also as a sugestion, do not stay in varna. is a medium-not-much-to-see city. instead you can stay somewhere in albena, burgas, nessebar or obzbor. these are much more touristic oriented places.
________
LE: soo, you want drinking places... then vama veche is a must! but try to avoid saturdays and sundays. friday night is perfect! (you can stay overnight and you're at only 80 km by varna.)

Been there in May 2008, go for it, these places are very nice but "tres touristic" The roads are in good condition at this part of Bulgaria and the food (not much to tell about the taste) is very cheap a it is to stay. 5 star hotels in Pomorie for 100 - 150€ per night (luxurious)
have a nice ride

Attachments

• pomorie.jpg
    pomorie.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 126
An update on the Arad - Sibiu - Brasvov road

Hi All,

Passed through this road last Saturday and its getting better.

1. Brasov to Sibiu - Still road works every few kms to upgrade bridges, lots of them have small detours but others you need to stop at lights although on a bike its a chance to get to the front of the traffic. There was one huge dip in the road near Sibiu but there is a sign saying to slow to 40kph so follow that and you will be OK. i didnt spot it until the last minute and gave the blackbird a whack on the front wheel but came out un-scathed i think. Closer to Brasov they are resurfacing so a few pot hole to watch out for and the road narrows to 1.5 lanes wide so take car with the trucks etc coming the other way.

2. Sibiu - Deva - Arad. From Sibieu to Deva its pretty good and no real problems.

3. Deva - Arad. This section is now almost completey re-surfaced and is magic, nice scenary and race track smooth and was a great way to finish the holiday. Had a great time. Arad to Hugarian border, fine, no real problems.

Leaving Romania I travelled this route on a Saturday and there were very few trucks which made it so much more enjoyable and i would definatley do this on a weekend if you could. i travelled this route on the previous Wednesday and it was horrible.

Regarding the cops - Yep they are in most villages you pass through but i just stuck to the speed limit and had no problems. This Italian came flying past me in a Merc and was pulled up when i came road the corner so keep the speed down and you should be OK.

Most drivers flash you to let you know so know and warn you.

The Transfargaran pass was open as of Saturday and I went all the way to the top approaching from the north. didnt bother going down the south side though.

As dazzer said, its hard work travelling through romania but not having the trucks on the road made such a difference.

happy travels to all.

gazzr

We were in Romania one month ago, nothing but good memories!
Don't expect drivers to be very polite like in western part of Europe. Nobody will let you through if you are just waiting for that - but just go and everybody will accept you. And don't forget to keep your eyes open all the time, because somebody else may be driving like you too :D
And yes, it's very busy traffic, but not too big problem if you are riding a motorcycle.
Little story about our trip here:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352679

Entertaining report randel, am looking forward to riding in the same countries and scenery as on ye route..:thumb
Hope we can do as a good report as yours, no doubt we get lost , but that's the fun parts eh?

nice one ugg

Back
Top Bottom