The sorry saga of 1200GS/GSA fuel pump controller failures (410 so far)

Sorry, an Aussie failure

When did it happen? 22-09-2011
- Where were you?: At home, left the bike out in some heavy rain overnight.
- rider name: Mick (Releng)
- bike details (model and year) 2008 R1200GS with 79000km on the clock.
- remedy: I pulled the Piece of crap apart and bypassed it, the same as the last picture on this page: Motorcycle info page
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? None, took the wifes car.
- Were there any incidental costs? No, not yet, although I will have to get another one I suppose.

Maybe we should start one of these pages for drive shaft uni joints. My bike had only had a headlight globe blow in 3 Years and in the last month I have had a uni joint fail and the fuel pump controller. Whats next? This stuff usually happens in threes.

When did it happen? August 2011
- Where were you? Devon (no phone signal)
- bike details (model and year) 2006 GS approved used
- remedy fixed by BMW emergency call out
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? 1/2 wondering around looking for phone signal and waiting
- Were there any incidental costs? Free, but they tried to charge me £89
- 3 rd thing to go wrong in 2 months of owning a GS overall cost to BMW for repairs in excess of £4000

just seen this thread so here's mine
when sept 2011
where spanish pyrenees
transported to dealer
R1200rt 2007
costs 50 euro taxi to hotel, then 190 euro taxi to collect bike,190 euro later refunded by AA after complaining to customer service. plus 136 euro for the repair
lost 1 day holidey

fpc

Ok just fitted 2nd one in 6 years
when Oct 2011
where At home fortunately
R1200GS 2005
costs £70 approx from Sherlocks
This was looks different to the last so fingers crossed

Where : Andalucia
When : last week
Tow truck to Almeria , 90 miles away
BMW warranty they got me a hire car for the duration
Still had to fork out 291 euros and try and claim it back
:3 days lost

Saga of fuel pump controller failures

Judys boy
At home (Southampton) October 2011
Fixed by dealer (Bahnstormer 26 mls from home)
4 days with out bike due to weekend
costs:£80.00 fpc £15.00 collection, and labour charge

fuel pump controller failure

My 2005 R1200GS had a fuel pump controller failure around 40 000k.
I bought a 2009 R1200GS which is good so far at 38 000k.

Our BMW Technician showed us a way to bypass the controller in an emergency to continue your ride to the next convenient place. The fuel pump then runs all the time and so you have to be quick in riding off after starting and in shutting off when stopping.

You can also buy or make up something like this:

http://www.burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-bypass-cable.php

Last edited:
Especially touring South America!......another one:

Hey Andy
Thanks so much for such a prompt reply. I have wrapped each of the connections up in electrical tape!!! Hope that's ok! I am a little worried that water and rubbish may get into the fuel pump bay where I removed the FPC - should I shove a cloth in here and clean it every now and then or not worry?

Stats; breakdown in Puerto Madryn, Argentina, yesterday 17 March, 2012, took me half a day to get all the info on how to fix. Now in Commodore Ravadavia 500km further south and so far so good....
2008 1200 GS, now with 9500km on the odo

Our blog is www.southamerica2up.wordpress.com

Thanks for the good luck wish, will keep you posted!
Regards
Andrew

Oh Dear,

- When did it happen? Yesterday 18-03-2012
- Where were you?: Bike at home in a West Wales garage - following unrapping from winter hibernation, cleaned off all excess acf50, battery fully charged, but sadly FPC decided not to make it into 2012.
- rider name: PembsGSA
- bike details (model and year) Bike bought new from BMW Cardiff - 2009 R1200GSA with 18700 miles on the clock.
- remedy: Bike being collected by BMW Cardiff tommorrow (for service & repair).
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? None.
- Were there any incidental costs? No incidental costs.

My last bike gsa 09 16000 miles hungary the guys at fullgas fixed it no charge

FPC FAILURE

Hey Guys

Just a quick note on the FPC on my 2005 rt 1200,While driving to work on 10/4/12 at 7.45am the bike just cut out on the M1 .Have only got this bike since march 2012 ,bought it from a friend who died from cancer last Christmas. Anyway bike stalled couldn't get it to start so called a shop in my town who towed it at 11.30 that morning.We knew it was the FPC but he didn't have the time to fix it that week.No bike for six days. had to borrow a car from a friend for the week to get to work 30 mls away. bought the part for 112 euros .Fitted the part 85 euro bike runs again,(happy days).16/4/12 7.30am just leaving for work ,started bike in garage drove it around the house and bike cuts out.Here we go again just a week later.this time I was lucky it happened in the house.As soon as I get this fixed I am putting it up for sale as I can't afford to be loosing so much time repairing these simple recall problems.I will never buy BMW again and will never recommend them to anyone .I really like the bike but after putting a lot of time servicing and upgrading the crap battery and doing all the final drive issues ,I've had enough.I just don't think they are a reliable bike to go on tour.So will be buying another FJR next month.

Thanks to everyone for posting their help and tips.

Cheers
Noel

...another

Anthony R has sent the following message from the Contact Us page on http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/:

Hey great page!
My fuel pump voltage controller failed two days ago
I had to walk about 20 min for cell reception, lucky was near home and had my local bike shop collect bike.
2005 R1200GS. No warning just bike dead, I had smelt a funny smell a few times at start up, but not all the time.
Your page made the diagnosis easy and fix quick, just waiting parts now. Cheaper to get them from the UK as well!

Failed fuel pump controller

Noticed this thread a long time ago. My GSA just made her contribution this week on the Island of Scopelos Greece on a remote beach about 15Kms from main port. Initially didn't know what the problem was but remembered this thread. Read it and reckoned it was possible.

Made Wapping's cable out of the bits and low and behold she started and got me back to Bulgaria after the ferry back to the mainland etc.

Thanks to the folks on UKgser for their info :beerjug:

Mine did the same in Holland:eek: 2 days ago. after three attempts on the button which simply fired her up then it died immediately, I walk away. After taking a deep breath I switched the kill switch off and back on (which had feck all to do with it but made me feel better) she burst into life, and ran as good as ever for the 500 miles home. I was convinced it would not start after the overnight ferry crossing but it's been fine ever since:confused:.

Would you believe the same thing happened again, and at the same venue Assen almost a year to the day. last time as discribed above, this time the bike was cold and wouldnt start off the button having stood all day. it would initially fire for a few seconds then simply stop when I opened the throttle. I had a spare FPC but no torx:blast. again the bike started eventually and has ran perfectly all the way back to the uk. Any ideas?

- When did it happen? - First 23rd March and again 5th May 2012
- Where were you? - Cardiff first time, home the second
- Rider name - Johanna Turner
- Bike details (model and year) - R1200GS 2004
- Remedy - Finally correctly diagnosed and currently awaiting new controller
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? - Not applicable
- Were there any incidental costs? - Fortunately no. Covered by warranty.

Another failure

When - Sunday 20 May 2012
Where - M1 motorway Ireland between Drogheda and Dundalk
Rider - Noel Tallon
Bike model and year - 1200 GSA 2007
Remedy - Paid €163.93 to Joe Duffy Motors to repair
Days lost - None
Incidental costs - €170 to get the bike transported to BMW dealers

Other comments - Cruising at 120kph on a motorway the bike just went dead and into complete silent mode. Could have been very dangerous but luckily it was a quiet Sunday afternoon. The bike was effectively freewheeling so I let it freewheel as far as I could up a nearby exit ramp. One hundred and seventy euro to get it picked up really hurt but another one hundred and sixty three to get it fixed really sucks,

class action coming bme sort it out or we will make you

26/05/12
Central London
Chris Green
r 1200 gs 2005
not fixed yet
the best riding day of the year so far
not quantified yet

Back
Top Bottom