Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. New and secondhand BMW parts.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The sorry saga of 1200GS/GSA fuel pump controller failures (410 so far)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Where : Andalucia
    When : last week
    Tow truck to Almeria , 90 miles away
    BMW warranty they got me a hire car for the duration
    Still had to fork out 291 euros and try and claim it back
    :3 days lost

Saga of fuel pump controller failures

Judys boy
    At home (Southampton) October 2011
    Fixed by dealer (Bahnstormer 26 mls from home)
    4 days with out bike due to weekend
    costs:£80.00 fpc £15.00 collection, and labour charge

fuel pump controller failure

My 2005 R1200GS had a fuel pump controller failure around 40 000k.
    I bought a 2009 R1200GS which is good so far at 38 000k.

Our BMW Technician showed us a way to bypass the controller in an emergency to continue your ride to the next convenient place. The fuel pump then runs all the time and so you have to be quick in riding off after starting and in shutting off when stopping.

You can also buy or make up something like this:

http://www.burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-bypass-cable.php
    Last edited by Fudmucker; 16-02-12 at 16:34. Reason: URL added

Another one...

David Coats has sent the following message from the Contact Us page on http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/:

"R1200RT 2008, La Rumorosa Baja California, Mexico, one day lost, tow $150 (50 miles to Mexicali) March 3, 2012; volunteer brought used unit to Calexico, switched, rode to Long Beach to buy new controller
    dc"
    www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk - Free Motorcycle Resources & Information + R1200GS Archive:
    .....and now Multistrada 1200 Info Pages also! and loads more :-)
    www.MTS1200.info
    ON-ROUTE motorcycle route & trip planner

Especially touring South America!......another one:

Hey Andy
    Thanks so much for such a prompt reply. I have wrapped each of the connections up in electrical tape!!! Hope that's ok! I am a little worried that water and rubbish may get into the fuel pump bay where I removed the FPC - should I shove a cloth in here and clean it every now and then or not worry?

Stats; breakdown in Puerto Madryn, Argentina, yesterday 17 March, 2012, took me half a day to get all the info on how to fix. Now in Commodore Ravadavia 500km further south and so far so good....
    2008 1200 GS, now with 9500km on the odo

Our blog is www.southamerica2up.wordpress.com

Thanks for the good luck wish, will keep you posted!
    Regards
    Andrew
    www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk - Free Motorcycle Resources & Information + R1200GS Archive:
    www.MTS1200.info

Oh Dear,

- When did it happen? Yesterday 18-03-2012
    - Where were you?: Bike at home in a West Wales garage - following unrapping from winter hibernation, cleaned off all excess acf50, battery fully charged, but sadly FPC decided not to make it into 2012.
    - rider name: PembsGSA
    - bike details (model and year) Bike bought new from BMW Cardiff - 2009 R1200GSA with 18700 miles on the clock.
    - remedy: Bike being collected by BMW Cardiff tommorrow (for service & repair).
    - How many days work/holiday did you lose? None.
    - Were there any incidental costs? No incidental costs.

And another...

George Danciu has sent the following message from the Contact Us page on http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/:

"Toronto area, Mar 2012, failure of the FPC.
    Newmarket, BMW dealer asks 2 weeks to give a diagnostic. The bike is a 2011, R1200 GSA with only 6000 miles!
    www.MTS1200.info

My last bike gsa 09 16000 miles hungary the guys at fullgas fixed it no charge

Another...

Francis M has sent the following message from the Contact Us page on http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/:

"It happened in the summer of 2011 at the Horizons meeting in Derbyshire. This is about the worst place for puplicity for BMW.
    GS1200 Adenture 2009 model.
    "
    www.MTS1200.info

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

FPC FAILURE

Hey Guys

Just a quick note on the FPC on my 2005 rt 1200,While driving to work on 10/4/12 at 7.45am the bike just cut out on the M1 .Have only got this bike since march 2012 ,bought it from a friend who died from cancer last Christmas. Anyway bike stalled couldn't get it to start so called a shop in my town who towed it at 11.30 that morning.We knew it was the FPC but he didn't have the time to fix it that week.No bike for six days. had to borrow a car from a friend for the week to get to work 30 mls away. bought the part for 112 euros .Fitted the part 85 euro bike runs again,(happy days).16/4/12 7.30am just leaving for work ,started bike in garage drove it around the house and bike cuts out.Here we go again just a week later.this time I was lucky it happened in the house.As soon as I get this fixed I am putting it up for sale as I can't afford to be loosing so much time repairing these simple recall problems.I will never buy BMW again and will never recommend them to anyone .I really like the bike but after putting a lot of time servicing and upgrading the crap battery and doing all the final drive issues ,I've had enough.I just don't think they are a reliable bike to go on tour.So will be buying another FJR next month.

Thanks to everyone for posting their help and tips.

Cheers
    Noel

...another

Anthony R has sent the following message from the Contact Us page on http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/:

Hey great page!
    My fuel pump voltage controller failed two days ago
    I had to walk about 20 min for cell reception, lucky was near home and had my local bike shop collect bike.
    2005 R1200GS. No warning just bike dead, I had smelt a funny smell a few times at start up, but not all the time.
    Your page made the diagnosis easy and fix quick, just waiting parts now. Cheaper to get them from the UK as well!
    www.MTS1200.info

Failed fuel pump controller

Noticed this thread a long time ago. My GSA just made her contribution this week on the Island of Scopelos Greece on a remote beach about 15Kms from main port. Initially didn't know what the problem was but remembered this thread. Read it and reckoned it was possible.

Made Wapping's cable out of the bits and low and behold she started and got me back to Bulgaria after the ferry back to the mainland etc.

Thanks to the folks on UKgser for their info

Quote Originally Posted by Steve V View Post
    Mine did the same in Holland 2 days ago. after three attempts on the button which simply fired her up then it died immediately, I walk away. After taking a deep breath I switched the kill switch off and back on (which had feck all to do with it but made me feel better) she burst into life, and ran as good as ever for the 500 miles home. I was convinced it would not start after the overnight ferry crossing but it's been fine ever since.
    Would you believe the same thing happened again, and at the same venue Assen almost a year to the day. last time as discribed above, this time the bike was cold and wouldnt start off the button having stood all day. it would initially fire for a few seconds then simply stop when I opened the throttle. I had a spare FPC but no torx. again the bike started eventually and has ran perfectly all the way back to the uk. Any ideas?
    " England is no longer a place for a young man, it crawls with greed and corruption. It is governed by charlatans and profiteers who think more of their pockets than they do of their principles "
    Oliver Cromwell 1640

- When did it happen? - First 23rd March and again 5th May 2012
    - Where were you? - Cardiff first time, home the second
    - Rider name - Johanna Turner
    - Bike details (model and year) - R1200GS 2004
    - Remedy - Finally correctly diagnosed and currently awaiting new controller
    - How many days work/holiday did you lose? - Not applicable
    - Were there any incidental costs? - Fortunately no. Covered by warranty.

Another failure

When - Sunday 20 May 2012
    Where - M1 motorway Ireland between Drogheda and Dundalk
    Rider - Noel Tallon
    Bike model and year - 1200 GSA 2007
    Remedy - Paid €163.93 to Joe Duffy Motors to repair
    Days lost - None
    Incidental costs - €170 to get the bike transported to BMW dealers

Other comments - Cruising at 120kph on a motorway the bike just went dead and into complete silent mode. Could have been very dangerous but luckily it was a quiet Sunday afternoon. The bike was effectively freewheeling so I let it freewheel as far as I could up a nearby exit ramp. One hundred and seventy euro to get it picked up really hurt but another one hundred and sixty three to get it fixed really sucks,

New Member (less than 15 Posts) Click here to find out how to Subscribe

class action coming bme sort it out or we will make you

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

26/05/12
    Central London
    Chris Green
    r 1200 gs 2005
    not fixed yet
    the best riding day of the year so far
    not quantified yet

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast