Going back in time?

Jon P

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Moving back to the UK in a few months and have decided to sell my 1200GSA over here.......for many reasons. Once back in the UK I am thinking about going back to what I understand is now called an airhead (of course they weren't called airheads when I last had them).

I guess the point of this note is what are the older GSs like these days?? - my last one was a 100 PD I bought back in '93 (prior to that I had a '90 80 GS and a '92 100 GS - I did 150,000 miles between them in four years). Well over the past few years I have pretty much bought what ever new one has come out and ridden for thousands of miles but still can't get the charm of the simpler GSs out of my mind. And besides I have got fed up spending so much cash getting the latest one all the time.

Looks as though really nice ones go for about 4k, which I guess is a lot for a bike that's fifteen years old but not if it's what you really want?

Am I just wearing rose tinted glasses? I remember going up to the 100 after the 80 and being amazed at the extra grunt - of course I realise that a 100 now will seem down on power compared with a 1200 but I figure most of the time I don't use that much of the power anyway but I rememer the 100 having it's grunt much lower down the rev range than the new 1200s do. I also remember them being very flexible - provided I had a good 2,000 on the tacho. I also found that they were rough and lumpy until way past 10,000 miles - you really did have to wear them in.

I also remeber the brakes - I loved the rear drum (well, I had to as the front disc was, well, you know........?) But seriously, I always thought that the rear drum had superb feel and the front works just fine - you just had to squeeze that bit harder!

I also remember sensible maintenance, only two valves to adjust, simple carbs with no surging, easy change gear and final drive oil, brakes that were simple to bleed, tyres that you can change yourself, a comfy seat.

I know that with the passing of time there have been issues with drive shafts and electrics / charging.

I guess what I am thinking of is a late (low miles?) GS PS with kickstart, orginal condition......not messed with. Then I would lke to fit a rear Ohlins, new fork springs / oil and a set of Zega panniers.

Do these bikes still exist...............or do I have to buy a project????

This bike...

74735317_vYumn-M.jpg

Is on its way from Spain to EuroClassics in Northampton to be readied for sale, it sounds exactly like what you're after.

That looks ace :thumb

If Jon will forgive me butting into his thread - what's a 'ball park' value of something like the bike pictured above?

Ta
Matt

I know a local guy selling a US spec 93 red model similar to the above with only 13K miles on it for $2,000, c/w alu panniers.

There is a catch though........see address.

I know a local guy selling a US spec 93 red model similar to the above with only 13K miles on it for $2,000, c/w alu panniers.

There is a catch though........see address.

Well I (and I assume many others) would snatch his hand off at that price and mileage (but I guess the shipping would be a killer!).

Matt

Certainly looks the part and 'un-messed' with. When I get back to the UK I'll take my time to get just the right one. I would like one with a kickstart - if I remember those classic black ones didn't have it?

By the way is that you Phil, from Euroclassics? We met many times...........firstly on Anglesey in about '94 - you were on an R80GS and on another occasion you re-built a box on my R100R.

Certainly looks the part and 'un-messed' with. When I get back to the UK I'll take my time to get just the right one. I would like one with a kickstart - if I remember those classic black ones didn't have it?

By the way is that you Phil, from Euroclassics? We met many times...........firstly on Anglesey in about '94 - you were on an R80GS and on another occasion you re-built a box on my R100R.

No I'm not Phil, I bought my firsts GS from Phil I just happen to know the owner of this bike who has used Phil's services before to bring a bike over from Spain, prep it for UK and sell on his behalf.

PD Classics did indeed have Kickstarts, as ornamental a feature as I have ever known on a bike - but as you talk in such fond terms of the rear drum 'brake' :eek: I guess you're a fairly unique kind of chap ;)

PD Classics did indeed have Kickstarts, as ornamental a feature as I have ever known on a bike - but as you talk in such fond terms of the rear drum 'brake' :eek: I guess you're a fairly unique kind of chap

Ahh the drum rear brake . . Now there's an ornament :augie

:D

Bob.

I wouldn't bother with a kickstart. It's virtually impossible to use and seldom works.

Ahh the drum rear brake . . Now there's an ornament :augie

:D

Bob.

Drum "brake" I thought it was a drum bake as its only function it to warm the rear drum. As my front brake light s/w is u/s for the mo' its only purpose is to switch the brake light on for me. The Amoco Cadiz could stop in a shorter distance.

That looks ace :thumb

If Jon will forgive me butting into his thread - what's a 'ball park' value of something like the bike pictured above?

Ta
Matt

I know the exact figure the buyer wants but as he hasn't yet agreed it with Euroclassics and its a commission sale I shouldn't say but these fetch between 4 & 5k - condition and originality is king in these cases.

I know the exact figure the buyer wants but as he hasn't yet agreed it with Euroclassics and its a commission sale I shouldn't say but these fetch between 4 & 5k - condition and originality is king in these cases.

Thanks Judge.

cheers
Matt

Those kind of prices do make sense - especially if the bike is good, clean and original.

So, do I have my rose tints on then regarding the rear drum.........mind you I always kept the working parts good and clean.......I fondly remember the sensitive feel and sensible stopping of mine.

As for the kick start - I used mine all the time and always got it to fire after the first two or three (hundred!) kicks.........The day I rolled my shiny PD out of the showroom I took it to the first garage to fill up and then thought I would use the kicker - within a few minutes I had a growing audience looking over at this brightly painted shiny bike with me kicking.....and kicking and kicking and kicking and sweating - oh bugger it, I just got on (whilst trying to keep my head down) and pressed the button and rode off:blast

Just doing a quick search on line all the pictures I can find of the classic show it without the kick start and with regular footpegs as opposed to the GS pegs.

Hi Judge!!!!

Is the bike still in Spain?

I hapen to live in the north of Spain and might be interested in the bike...

I leave you my mail for if you can send me details:

franro "at" pescafria "dot" com

Thanks in advance

Regards

Fran

very 70's.

Same goes for the rider :D

My Monos rear brake is superb but the one on my 100 PD is probably the worst brake I've ever had on a bike. Just fitted a new brake cable, checked the operation of the pivots and still nothing apart from a gentle deceleration :nenau Fortunatly, thanks to some HH brake pads, the front brake is very usable.

Ah, rear drum brake....plus a kick start ( which actually works :augie )....a proper fully restored 80g/s indeed ... :spank

Sorry Kenny, looks like a bit of an Old Dog, that one. :aidan

Bike looks nice though. I do agree about the brake and kickstart on the g/s though, can lock the rear wheel on mine, ( with the brake ,not the kickstart)
100gs completely different, sort of a gentle retardation.

Back
Top Bottom