Power commander

beemercarl

:bounce1Has anyone put a power commander on the R1200GS .

was it any good? Where did you get it from and how much was it.

Many thanks:)

I have one but I haven't fitted it yet.

I don't know yet.

It was a birthday present from my wife.

Haven't a clue.

In that order....:)

:bounce1Has anyone put a power commander on the R1200GS .

was it any good? Where did you get it from and how much was it.

Many thanks:)

I have a Wunderlich Power Controller which is pretty good but only serves to allow you to add fuel in 6 modes (throttle ranges/rpm bands)......Power Commanders are much more sophisticated with pretty much unlimited performance 'tuning' possibilities (with the aid of the right equipment and a dyno) or by 'uploading' preconfigured fuelling 'maps' to it from a laptop/PC via USB - so should perform even better.
What mods have you done to your bike already? The more modified (exhaust, air filter, air intake etc) your bike the better the benefits of a Power Commander in tuning the bike.

Prices/distributors:
http://www.dynojet.co.uk/powercommander/index.htm

R1200GS Power Commander 'Maps' (9 at the moment)

I'll be interested to hear from guys that have fitted a Power Commander as well..........might be tempted to upgrade from the Wunderlich unit :)

Schtum - can't believe you've not got it fitted yet! :eek:

I have a Wunderlich Power Controller which is pretty good but only serves to allow you to add fuel in 6 modes (throttle ranges/rpm bands)......

The Wunderlich units are just re-labelled "Techlusion" units - available from the USA for about half the price. :eek:

If you read up on them (and the Power Commander) - you realise, that for most (if not - all) - that additional fuel is what is required due to the lean-running nature of modern engines.

Al :thumb

I have fitted a Power Commander to mine, an 08 GSA. Really pleased with it. Vast improvements through out the rev range, just nice to ride, mid range grunt is fantastic. I bought it from Dynojet UK, they retail about £270, but they fitted mine and spent about 3 hours with it on the dyno creating a map which they will put on there website for downloading. Bike spec is K&N filter, Remus headers with std can.
Well worth the money.

Prop

I have fitted a Power Commander to mine, an 08 GSA. Really pleased with it. Vast improvements through out the rev range, just nice to ride, mid range grunt is fantastic. I bought it from Dynojet UK, they retail about £270, but they fitted mine and spent about 3 hours with it on the dyno creating a map which they will put on there website for downloading. Bike spec is K&N filter, Remus headers with std can.
Well worth the money.

Prop
Did you get a dual map - i.e. a map for each cylinder or just a single one?

Spend the money on some decent training - you'll go much much faster than you will spending a shed load on a box of smoke and mirrors.....

Mike I meant to a GS ;) I have one fitted to my Mille R and yes it makes a big difference :beerjug:

Ahh....ok :) I'll let you know when I finally get round to fitting mine. I primarily got it because I was a bit concerned that with a full Remus fitted, my engine might be running a bit lean at times.

I got a dual map. I was shocked at how lean the GSA was at certain revs. The map shows having to add 26% fuel at some points but also taking away 10% due to over fuelling in others.
I was not chasing power just the fuelling being better. I think the 08's are worse than the older ones for fuelling and the tech guy said it is the worst 1200 boxer he has seen for lean running.
It is a different bike now.

Prop

Is this a map where the fuel ratio at each rpm has been programmed for each throttle body independently.

I am surprided the power commander has this facility. I know of some others that will do it but they are a lot more expensive.

Also I would have thought to get an accurate reading the balance pipe would need to be disconnected or use separate headers.

Is this a map where the fuel ratio at each rpm has been programmed for each throttle body independently.

I am surprided the power commander has this facility. I know of some others that will do it but they are a lot more expensive.

Also I would have thought to get an accurate reading the balance pipe would need to be disconnected or use separate headers.

Yes the Power Commander has this facility programming at 250rpm increases.

You are correct on your thoughts, the Remus Headers I fitted do not have a balance pipe.

Prop

Yes the Power Commander has this facility programming at 250rpm increases.

You are correct on your thoughts, the Remus Headers I fitted do not have a balance pipe.

Prop

So at each rpm point can you input different fuelling levels for the left and right cylinder i.e. at 2000rpm drop the fuel by 5% on the left cylinder whilst increase the fuel by 5% on the right cylinder.

I am surprised the power commander has this facility. I know of some others that will do it but they are a lot more expensive.

Yes, each cylinder gets its own map.

The PCIII can do it for at least four cylinders.

The balance pipe does not have to be disconnected but the tuner has to replace the lambda probe in each downpipe (before the balance pipe) with one connected to the dynamometer rather than just stick one in the exhaust outlet. Obviously the job takes twice as long.

I am curious about the variations between cylinders on a boxer engine. On a v-twin, the rear cylinder runs under quite different conditions to the front - usually hotter - so the fuel adjustments look quite different. On a boxer both cylinders see very similar conditions but the lack of water cooling could increase variations.

I would have thought that the only reason for a PC on a BMW would be variations as BMWs, no matter what else you might say about them, fuel really well.

When tuning, the tuner can just tune for one of the cylinders and use the manufacturer's offset for the other one(s) to improve the overall situation. Increasingly on engines meeting the onerous Euro 3 regulations, this is less effective and to get real improvements you need a per-cylinder map.

You get bugger-all top-end power from a PC tune but the difference in mid-range is remarkable and, on bikes with less advanced EFI like KTMs, the difference in rideability is marked.

Back
Top Bottom