Power commander

Just so there's no confusion.......those are short 'power' runs only, no bike setup/PCIII setup included.

I don't for sure but as far as I know none of the electrical connectors have changed (TPS, fuel injectors, O2 sensors - anyone know for sure?) but I think the standard ECU fuelling has changed so the settings for the WPC may not be right...(comment from DynoJet UK re PCIII models: "The 936-411 (2005/2007 bikes) and 949-411 (2008 onwards bikes) Power Commanders are actually the same unit however as the ECU mapping is different between the bikes, the two versions are supplied with different base maps")

Actually I think maybe not, see here:
http://wunderlich.de/Online-Shop/R1200GS-Adventure/Tuning-Schalldaempfer/Performance-Controler/

Might be worth contacting Wunderlich:
http://wunderlich.de/wunderlich/special/1/3/
This chap was very helpful for me, Henning Jeske:
hjeske@wunderlich.de

I'd be interested in the outcome ;-)

:thumb2
Thanks Andy. I've just emailed Wonderlich.
:beerjug:

Just got a response from Wonderlich:

Hi Brian,

The "old" Performance controller won't fit to your new R1200GS ADV., but we have the possibility to modify your controller with an updated program. We can offer you this update for 50 Euro + shipping costs. Please tell me where are you from, so we can calculate the shipping costs. To update your Performance Controller you have to return the Controller back to us.

If there are any question or problems don't hesitate to contact me.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Henning Jeske

Seems reasonable to me, so i'm gonna send mine off to get updated:thumb

Been reading this thread with interest. I have a 58 plate GS 1200 adv. Fitted with Keiham Headers & Ackr can. Ever since Keiham headers fitted the bike does have some flat spots when accelerating hard through the rev range so I have concluded the bike must be running lean at these points. The bike runs better with the exhaust system but I do notice sluggish steps as it passes through the revs say between 2500rpm to 6000prm or so. Been thinking about a power controller by Wunderlich. There is also the more expensive Power Commander. What I've learned from this thread is that to get the best setup I will need a rolling road setup. Before I spend my money I don't want to waste it by buying blind and therefore have three questions...

1. Can I go to any bike rolling road for a setup or should I travel to a recommended one?
2. Will it smooth out the flat spots through the rev range when hard accelerating?
3. Should I also buy a K+N filter or keep with stock?

to 1.

yes pick a good one, for example Mark Brewing from BSD Motorcycle Development in Peterborough, you read their name often in the bike mags as well.

1. Can I go to any bike rolling road for a setup or should I travel to a recommended one?
If you're going to fit a Power Commander, you'd want to go to a Dynojet Centre. The Power Commander allows you to take fuel out of the map as well, whereas some of its competitors only allow fuel to be added.

I've heard good things about the Dimsport Rapid Bike as well.

2. Will it smooth out the flat spots through the rev range when hard accelerating?

It should do that and make the bike more responsive throughout the rev range.
3. Should I also buy a K+N filter or keep with stock?
Keep the stock one.

Thanks for replies guys!

Been quoted £500 for Power Commander + custom map via rolling road from...

1. GT Motorcycles Plymouth
2. Riders of Bridgewater

You can buy from www.mdracingstp.com in the US for $260 - not sure about postage. i think a couple of site members have bought from them.

I had a Wunderlich Power Controller and wouldn't recommend it to be honest. The Power Commander is probably the better option.

Back
Top Bottom