Any advice for someon going to Romania

Need help and assistance

Hi I am planning a bike trip 7th to 19th June no fixed plan at the moment, but would like to visit Bran Castle for the tshirt etc, any help and guidance on a route from Calais etc would be gratefully recieved, would also be interested in stopping over in the saxon villages.

I am working in Pakistan and I am trying to set this up for when I come home in June over a dodgy and intermittant internet connection, so extensive research is a bit frustrating.

Thanks

Charles

Charles

Getting here - head for Vienna/Budapest - then Oradea - better way in than Arad and avoiding DN1 .

Saxon Villages - can help you arrange accomodation in the area - ranging from luxurious to comfortable traditional Saxon guest houses. www.discovertarnavamare.org for more info about the area

Bran - suggest spending a night or two in Brasov - http://www.pensiuneastejeris.ro/ - you can then have a ride out to Bran, buy the t-shirt or false fangs and turn around! Brasov makes a good base for the mountains.

my email is gavin(AT)fundatia-adept(_DOT_)org - give me a shout and help you with loads of advice. The fee will be Bisto powder - keep asking for it and everyone brings granules!

All the best

Gavin

When at the market below Dracula's Castle at Bran, unless you take a size 'M' in t-shirts, don't bother with one.

ALL the t-shirts are actually 'M', even if they're marked 'S' or 'XXXL'! :(

Keep a close eye on your wallet ;)

Ming's over there at the moment and its 'disappeared' :rolleyes:

Summat else i've just remembered - in the cities, especially Brasov, don't change money in the wee shops or kiosks, they charge about 30% for the privilege. And once you're in the money changers shop you get hemmed in by the guards - it's all very gangsterish.

The cash machines outside the banks frequently don't work, apparently they go out of action due to the phone lines failing. When you look at the phone and power lines, it's not surprising!

Hi Zundapp,

When were you last here? phone and power is pretty reliable now. with atm's all over the place as most people have their salary and social payments directly to a bank.

the money situation is a lot easier as well....

Bryn - Where is Ming at the moment...?

Regards

Gavin

Hi Gavin, we were travelling around Romania in April/May last year, so things could have changed since then.

I don't think the suicidal driving will be any better, but maybe they now even sell big-bloke sized t-shirts at Bran Castle! :D

Thanks for the replies, I,ll try and PM you Gavin, as an expat I can understand obsessions for the little simple things like gravy. alchohol, sausages etc.

RE: Romania

Physiojo and I are thinking of heading for Romania in July. Two bikes, my r1200GS and her f650. Would appreciate any advice. Do the dates come close to yours? Would you like to ride together for a while? :beerjug:

Drop me a pm if you wish.

Regards,

Path.

P.S. Mr Ifan, I would appreciate a copy of the PM if you read this. :thumb2

Alright boys!!

I'm leaving around the 24/25 July
Any good to you?
let us know yeh:beerjug:

Cheers
Matt

Back
Top Bottom