Eastern Europe ?

(RIP) ugg

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How many folk are riding over Eastern Europe this year , and what plans have you?

has anyone got cheaper ferry ticket prices and found a good place to stop that wont cost too much ?
camping mostly , or cheap diggs.

Were lookin at a trip but not too sure where yet

ugg

I did a 10 day clockwise route of Poland back in 2006 and loved it. Caught the ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg, then rode across Denmark and Sweden to Karlskroona and caught the over-night ferry to Gdansk. Then rode to the WOLFS LAIR. From there I rode down to Warsaw (which was a lot smarter than everyone had lead me to expect) and from there down to Krakow which was fantastic and I honestly wish I'd spent a day or 2 there. :( Met a mate in Auschwitz for a day, then he went to Dresden while I went onto Northern Poland and then crossed over to Berlin for 2 days. Berlin is fantastic and highly recommended. I then rode up to Hamburg (sorry but I must have missed something here, but I was only there a day, so I may have just seen the worst part of the place) and then caught the ferry back from Esbjerg to Harwich again. I stayed at cheap hotels (not camping) and would definately do it again.

How many folk are riding over Eastern Europe this year , and what plans have you?

has anyone got cheaper ferry ticket prices and found a good place to stop that wont cost too much ?
camping mostly , or cheap diggs.

Were lookin at a trip but not too sure where yet

ugg

Girlie and me, planning on a 2 week trip aiming for southern Poland via Germany to see her mate ( my girlie is Polish)in September. Coming back to see mates in Switzerland before heading to see a mate in Chatel, on the French/Swiss border, and then heading back thru France and home.
Nothing set in concrete as yet, gonna take the tent and see where we end up, but aimin on a circular... ish route.

wer just lookin at a posible route , nowt too organised , as we like getin lost:blast much

Norway was a possibility, but it seems expensive at the mo.
we could do the countries we missed , Switzerland, Italy, n slovania. croatia

just need a half way point and an end ...any wear in between well just ride around , no need for green card this time

am fishing at the mo:augie

ugg

All being well, I'll be riding to Moldova again. I have to stop in Prague for a couple of days for a business meeting, then plan to ride via Krakow and Lviv to Calarasi. No idea yet which route I'll take back (probably a bit further South).

The easy negotiations are done (boss, time off work etc.), I just need to speak to the wife :augie

I'm busy planning a 2 week trip to St Peterburg via the Baltic states and back through finland/sweden/denmark. Am looking for sights to see myself.

If your headed further south I recommend heading for a place called Český Krumlov in Czech Republic (brilliant place - wiki info here). Hire a boat, get on a tour raft or talk to locals and borrow an inner tube to do the proper water tour. Very unusual place! :thumb
Plenty of good riding in the area is well.

Then head south-east to Bratislava (nice enough city for a days visit/overnight stay).

Budapest is about half a days ride away and in my opinion is a million times better than Prague (has the same sort of sight-seeing/better night-life without the mass tourism around, and they have world famous Spa's). Spend a couple of days here.

Would recommend heading north-east into the Tatra mountains. Spectacular place with very little traffic around. Or head west to do the Austrian alps, or even south west to do Slovenia (another great country to bike around).

Damn we're lucky to live in Europe. So many cultures and great places to ride. The difficult thing is choosing where to go.

Friend and I (+ an American called Bill I think) planning to to go round the Baltic last week in May

Plan is to cross via Hull / Rotterdam, up through Denmark and Sweden and ferry from Stockholm to Riga then south through the Baltic states, Poland and Germany

No fixed plans as to where to stay

We always find somewhere

Second and third weeks in July I'm planning it. Me and an Irish mate are getting the ferry over to Denmark where we'll pick up an Australian biker who's flying over for the Roskilde Festival. Then we're heading down into Germany to pick up a couple of German Biker mates. That's when we'll turn east and the tour starts proper.
Funny thing about my touring (24 countries and counting), I've never ever ridden with English bikers..... :eek:

Hope you do a write-up when you get back. Would like some ideas before my trip. :thumb

Trouble we had with Transylvania Gavin was lack of campsites. Part of the charm of touring is getting a nice campfire going while sleeping under the stars.
We found one campsite in the entire of Romania (run by a dutch bloke in fact), they are impossible to find!
Found this website after the trip http://www.campingo.com/campsite-romania.htm.
Put some campsites into that website and you'll get a lot more useage! ;)

Russia, Arkhangelsk, August 2009.

My Plan A is ride my siecar (the tub) Oslo-(direction East!) Karlstad in Sweden-ferry to Finland-border Russia (direction North) -Petrozavodsk-Kargopol-Arkhangelsk, then direction West-Kem/Belomorsk-fedrry to the islands in the fjord and return to the bikes in Kem/Belomorsk-direction South to Petrozavodsk and back to home in Oslo.

-I need a lot of information, so tell me ALL you know! :thumb2

:) Liv.

Hi mate.

Just joined . Done Krumlov 3 times and everytime to go to the festival in June. It should not be missed

Trouble we had with Transylvania Gavin was lack of campsites. Part of the charm of touring is getting a nice campfire going while sleeping under the stars.
We found one campsite in the entire of Romania (run by a dutch bloke in fact), they are impossible to find!
Found this website after the trip http://www.campingo.com/campsite-romania.htm.
Put some campsites into that website and you'll get a lot more useage! ;)

i dont exactly know the road , but theres a great campsite on the main road through TIMMASORA that has cabins , with good facilities , n a good breakfast. The good thing also is they take euros, so if yer run out of lea, yer sorted.:D

we found this late at night riding back home, it was better than the alternative , sleeping at a truck stop...noooo ta:augie

ugg

i dont exactly know the road , but theres a great campsite on the main road through TIMMASORA that has cabins , with good facilities , n a good breakfast. The good thing also is they take euros, so if yer run out of lea, yer sorted.:D

we found this late at night riding back home, it was better than the alternative , sleeping at a truck stop...noooo ta:augie

ugg

You mean the one with the freindly ladies hitch hiking just outside on the road to the airport !

G

Bulgaria

2 or 3 of us are heading to Bulgaria in June, rough route will be ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg across France and Switzerland stay 2 nights near the Stelvio pass then down through Italy, Ancona to Split ferry onto Bosnia , Serbia them Bulgaria, stay a couple of nights in Sunny Beach then down into Turkey then Greece, ferry to Italy then treck back home (havent decided what way to return accross Europe yet)! :)

I am planning to go to eastern europe this year. I have been as far as budapest.This year i would like to go farther.

Euro trip

I'm travelling down to Turkey in a couple of months and then travelling up through Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Lithuania, Lativa, Estonia and then up into Finland and home.

Going to stop at Auschwitz for a day.

No firm plans on routes and will take it as it comes.

Camping throughout the trip either at campsites or rough.

Can't wait to get started

Will post a trip report with photos in early July.

GR

Back
Top Bottom