Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoves

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    There are alternatives to Petrol, Gas, Parafin or Spirit stoves out there that after the initial outlay there is no further cost.
    I'm talking about wood burning stoves of the woodgas variety and also bigger firebox stoves

There's no screws, bolts, jets or fiddly bits to lose in the dark on these sort of stoves and you get a nice flame to sit around too
    Also there are some multifunctional wood stoves that can incorporate yer Trangia bits and gas bits too see Backpacking Light

These three pictures are a Woodland Edge camping stove
    Name:  fb10.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  41.1 KB Name:  firebox5.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  38.0 KB Name:  firebox5s.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  22.6 KB

A market opportunity for Mark Hooton at Cymarceng maybe?!!

These two are of a Liard Firebox/stove. It's bigger than the one above.
    Name:  liard.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  40.8 KB Name:  liard2.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  48.4 KB
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I just got a woodland edge stove from ebay can't wait to try it

Eddie

the only problem with the wood stoves is the time it takes to cook something or boil water.

from start to finish inc unpacking i can have a litre of water at a rolling boil with my cheapie gas or fuel stove within 5 mins

Yes I would grant you that, we've got to have something done quick quick quick these days.
    There are other issues with a wood stove, the heat output is variable and not as clean but you
    can keep boiling water as long as there's trees. You can't grill meat or make toast as well on a
    little gas stove either. Wood stoves come into their own when you are going to be static for a
    few days. I use gas, petrol, trangia or wood stoves (not all at the same time) depending on situation.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Feck me nearly 43,000 views on how to make a brew at the Hogroast!

Quote Originally Posted by repomanbe View Post
    These three pictures are a Woodland Edge camping stove
    Anyone know where I can get one of these? Did a quick web search but didn't throw up anything.

Thanks
    Steve

Woodland edge have a site here, http://www.woodlandedge.co.uk/ but they no longer list their stove, might be worth a telephone call though.

Quote Originally Posted by joness7 View Post
    Anyone know where I can get one of these? Did a quick web search but didn't throw up anything.

Thanks
    Steve
    Take a look on songsofthepaddle site they have a forsale section you might find one there I picked up one of the woodland edge stoves from ebay great bit of kit well made.
    Cheers
    Eddie

MC aeternum
    No satellites available, are you indoors?
    Quote Originally Posted by joness7 View Post

Thanks
    Steve
    I got mine from here:
    http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk/Products.php

An excellent piece of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by NLC View Post
    Has anyone used one of these before the Optimus Hiker+? From what I gather it is an updated version of an old classic. Looks like a neat bit of kit, I am just wondering if it is a bit chunky for the bike. I like the fact that it folds into a nice case. I also assume it uses unleaded petrol but can't find it anywhere on the website. Thoughts appreciated

That takes me back. It's exactly like a petrol stove I had in 1967 on a (landrover) trip to morrocco! Worked flawlessly and very stable. Bit smoky though.

electrically isolated Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    burn sticks, charge your phone

LINK
    Do keep up at the back. Still no news on mine
    -------

The countryside is a soggy sort of place where animals and birds wander about uncooked. Gladys Mitchell

---------

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    That takes me back. It's exactly like a petrol stove I had in 1967 on a (landrover) trip to morrocco! Worked flawlessly and very stable. Bit smoky though.
    I have to admit to being a bit of an Optimus fetish freak, with 3 of the things (111 parafin, 8r petrol which is brilliant but small and an old brass one that is an upright type and I have forgotten the model number.)

The 8r was my preferred stove for bike trips, or the Coleman featherlight (you can't have too many stoves!) BUT I have to admit I have been converted to a modern version. I had the chance of an MSR Dragonfly, virtually new and had only been used over one weekend...so I bought it. WOW, what a difference. The old timers are now in retirement, I shall only use the MSR from now on - if you haven't used one, you don't know what real performance is. Economic to run (FAR more so than the 8R), not that compact but no worse than anything else and just bullet proof and repairable in the field. I won't be changing any time soon - but I will give the old Optimus burners a clean and a fire up for nostalgic reasons every now and then. There is nothing like the roar and jet flame from them! The MSR does the same, just far more efficiently.

As for a Woodman stove, no thanks. Can you imagine putting the sooty, ashy, used one back in your panniers? They won't stay shiny for long - look lovely when new, but the blackened ones in use are more realistic....yuk.

My God, I've just spent time reading a thread about Stoves. My wife thinks I am quite mad.

Anyrode .......

I'm hooked !

Quote Originally Posted by swissrob View Post
    i was sceptical when i ordered it but actually its ok, i met someone that has had it for about 2 years, he uses it nearly every week while fishing and not had any issues. using petrol makes it a bit sooty but it has a cleaning cable built in. mine has had good use and no probs either.

spares can be bought - its the pump that might fail and replacements are cheap.

yes no worries at all. i have cooked on it many times and its fully controllable.

have a look around on ebay as the prices vary quite a lot - get the one with the metal pump but some sellers try to charge extra for the metal pump version although 95% of the stoves are metal pump anyway.

i bought mine from here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/spread-eagl..._sid=885120183 then look for brs-8 stove, same stove but with plastic case and an extra £20-30
    I got one after looking at this for the money ASTONISHING!!!!! ran it yesterday, easy to light and seems to control well , Lot more power than me old gas one , says it runs on gas, diesel, and petrol , got a brew on in jig time
    still no deid

Quote Originally Posted by Tinytim View Post
    My God, I've just spent time reading a thread about Stoves. My wife thinks I am quite mad.

Anyrode .......

I'm hooked !
    Not at all it,s a quite proper MAN thing
    still no deid

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    I got one after looking at this for the money ASTONISHING!!!!! ran it yesterday, easy to light and seems to control well , Lot more power than me old gas one , says it runs on gas, diesel, and petrol , got a brew on in jig time
    its a cracking little stove isnt it

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast