Escape to Colditz

Big Nick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've always fancied a trip to Germany and a visit to Colditz is on my to do list

Anyone know any good hotels nearby?

I'm not after luxury just a clean reasonable room with en-suite and the all important late night bar!

When I visited Colditz in 2005 the tour guides told me there were plans for it to be turned into a hotel!

:(

Want more photos?

ToulouseDresden042Small.jpg

ToulouseDresden118Small.jpg

ToulouseDresden116Small.jpg

ToulouseDresden117Small.jpg

We poped in to Colditz when travelling to the MotoGP at Sachsenring and it was well worth the detour. Fascinating touring the place, a nice town and great roads in the area as well. We bumped into a group of Brits who were staying at Colditz itself: I got the impression it was more of a hostel than a hotel but they said it was great. Apparently, they had just had a bit of a late night and got locked out but managed to break in.

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Colditz-022641.en.htm

..... We bumped into a group of Brits who were staying at Colditz itself: ..... Apparently, they had just had a bit of a late night and got locked out but managed to break in.
Bloody unbelievable, when you bear in mind how many tried to break out of the place. :rolleyes:

I've been to Germany 3 times, but have never managed to make it to Colditz yet. Its still on my list though. :thumb2

Stayed in this hotel on the outskirts of Colditz http://www.waldhaus-colditz.de/ and would highly recommend it. A bit quirky but good.

Proprietor Günther Krebs
Lausicker Straße 60
04680 Colditz
Tel: +49 (0) 34381/3371

Stayed there in 2002 - it's about a mile outside of the main town square (see last pic below - view from town square with castle up on the hill)

Attachments

• DCP_1159.jpg
    DCP_1159.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 703
  • DCP_1161.jpg
    DCP_1161.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 699
  • DCP_1153.jpg
    DCP_1153.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 774
My brother and I are off to Germany next month and are aiming to visit Colditz along the way. The closest we're staying is the Harmonie Hotel in Bad Grund, some 160 miles away, so it could make for a long day out :augie

Great place.

Went in 1991 ish just after wall came down.

Got shown around by old guys who actually were based there during the war.

Well worth a visit, :thumb there's an amazing room in there where you can see all the kit the prisoners made from belly button fluff and snot.

Leipzig is just down the road I'd stay there as plenty of nightlife :augie

You can stay in Colditz Castle itself as part of it (what I believe was the accomodation wing used by the german guards) has been turned into a (DGH) German youth hostel. The 2nd of the previous snow covered photos shows what is now the youth hostel although it has been somewhat tarted up since the photo was taken.

Stayed there in June 2007 and it had not long opened as youth hostel. Very comfortable. Had a four bed en-suite room all to myself.

There is another B&B just below the castle - bottom left of the towns market square. Cannot really miss it as it is only a small town.

Hotel in Colditz

This may be a bit late as you may already have been but just in case you have yet to go. Hotel " Zur Alten Stadtmauer" in Colditz has been recommended to us by a friend and we are going there in August. Cost 60 euro for a double room with breakfast and there is a garage for the bikes. You can view the place on www.colditztravel.com and contact direct by e-mail to ralgy@web.de:beerjug:

We really enjoyed our stay in Colditz Castle. The part that's been turned into the Youth Hostel (the most glamorous one I've ever seen) was previously the accommodation area for the German guards. The inner courtyard which held the Allied POWs has been kept as was.

Not on a Wednesday !!!

:rob When a group of us rocked up to Colditz on a very wet Wednesday last summer we found out that the town is closed, so don't plan for much on a Wednesday lol :aidan

just back from there the waldhaus is cool real 1942 feel bout it or as tim sez the hostel ,altough as we done the tour there were some freaky screams comin from the place bunch a of youths on the piss most likely , do the tour or you dont get to see half the stuff or hear the true stories :thumb2

I went around and was the only person there. In the chapel they are renovationg as they are the castle. The Saxon authorities are returning it to a hunting lodge as it was 400 years ago so alot is changing white washed walls ect. However I managed to actualy climb into the tunnel the french made that ran under the floor of the chapel and then down into the ground.
Big smile day as my dad used to tell me about Colditz Stories

so the chapel it as of 6 weeks ago is the only part as it was during the war (I think)

We really enjoyed our stay in Colditz Castle. The part that's been turned into the Youth Hostel (the most glamorous one I've ever seen) was previously the accommodation area for the German guards. The inner courtyard which held the Allied POWs has been kept as was.

Have been to East Germany a few times since 1986 and got stuck on the tranzit routes until the wall came down. The last time we were there in 1994 it was a Monday and the Castle was closed.

Have booked a couple of nights (after reading this thread) on the way to Liberec and then MotoGP in Brno.

Have been to East Germany a few times since 1986 and got stuck on the tranzit routes until the wall came down. The last time we were there in 1994 it was a Monday and the Castle was closed.

Have booked a couple of nights (after reading this thread) on the way to Liberec and then MotoGP in Brno.

It's not a kick in the stones from the Sachsenring probably the best motogp weekend on the calender for food hotels etc

Back
Top Bottom