Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm just registered... F800GS blown up!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

**800cc engine probs*** Ouch

Not my bike but a mates
    but I feel bad as I'd told him how good BM's were....
    He bought a new pre registered ( ex demonstrator) with 1600mile on the clock

Virtually immediatly it had strange ( metal scraping ) noises and by 1650miles was back at BMW for a NEW ENGINE........
    just over 1000miles later.........

metal scraping noises again and its going back to BMW for another NEW ENGINE.

The noise is a metallic scraping from the bottom of the block by the water pump.

My mate was a bit p***ed off to say the least having got rid of a minter of a VFR.
    He's argued with the dealer and has now as a result taken it to another for the work ( now going to Oxford BMW who appear most helpful)
    but ........
    The BM will be at the dealers for approx 5 weeks

no loan bike......

I guess the bike will be repaired under warranty and then sold
    my mate is OFF BMW now
    back to HONDA.....

Oh I feel bad
    Gone to a far far better place

Marjorie Proops
    Look on the bright side mate, it's ony two thirds of the problem it could have been

Seriously, you must be feeling but there is no way you could have foreseen this outcome - surely your mate will see it that way.

sound bad, but there is a positive in everything (caugh.. BULLS!IT)

Sorry to here the story. I think that there may have been a problem with wearing in the engine. I hit the rev limiter on a demo bike with only 78km on the clock. Bikes don't like that! No engine does till it had done at least 1000km, 2000km is better.

You will probably find that the manual had a guide as to running in the engine. 'keep it under 4K for the first 600 mile, 1000k under 5K'.

He got a demo bike, it would have been pushed, The second engine, did he push it??? (could be a factory fault) I know it should have not failed like that, just not have performed as well in the long run.

Truly I wish that a Jap producer had a bike that challenged the 800gs. The closest match is the V-storm (my opinion). I would buy the Jap over the German in a second. Knowing fault statistics (most important, i study it at university) and the price advantage.

Duvskog
    Quote Originally Posted by snowlife_9999 View Post
    Sorry to here the story. I think that there may have been a problem with wearing in the engine. I hit the rev limiter on a demo bike with only 78km on the clock. Bikes don't like that! No engine does till it had done at least 1000km, 2000km is better.

You will probably find that the manual had a guide as to running in the engine. 'keep it under 4K for the first 600 mile, 1000k under 5K'.

He got a demo bike, it would have been pushed, The second engine, did he push it??? (could be a factory fault) I know it should have not failed like that, just not have performed as well in the long run.

Truly I wish that a Jap producer had a bike that challenged the 800gs. The closest match is the V-storm (my opinion). I would buy the Jap over the German in a second. Knowing fault statistics (most important, i study it at university) and the price advantage.
    So Snowlife....what motorcycle do You drive?

Quote Originally Posted by snowlife_9999 View Post
    I hit the rev limiter on a demo bike with only 78km on the clock. Bikes don't like that! No engine does till it had done at least 1000km, 2000km is better.
    Hitting rev limiter is probably no problem on a modern bike, as long as it has been warmed up before.

Many "experts, tuners etc." do not break in motors by recommedation from factory for getting better performance etc.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ10 View Post
    Hitting rev limiter is probably no problem on a modern bike, as long as it has been warmed up before.

Many "experts, tuners etc." do not break in motors by recommedation from factory for getting better performance etc.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    Yeah but those people don't care about longevety. Mind you, nor do BMW at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Millichap View Post
    Yeah but those people don't care about longevety. Mind you, nor do BMW at the moment.
    Yes they do, at least them I know but you have do it the right way, which is not as easy as the old fashion way.

moto1527
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZ10 View Post
    Yes they do, at least them I know but you have do it the right way, which is not as easy as the old fashion way.
    Well, ive had no problems with mine but im glad ive got the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty!

Alex P Hull

Thumbs down 800 gs engine prob's.

My friend and I had a test ride on the 1200 & 800 gs on Saturday, Yep the 800 locked up after 40 miles, we didn't thrash it, & I never revved it above 6000 rpm, I can't speak for my mate but the bike had done 6300 miles, so is there a inherent problem there, how many others have had problems I wonder? Alex.

Ooh me Chalfonts Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvskog View Post
    So Snowlife....what motorcycle do You drive?
    According to the profile, a GSX250F .
    Keefffff

I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day, and tomorrow does not look good either..

Poor rebuild

Well my mate got his bike back two days ago, its worse than before and now a rank poor rebuild with bare ( not even painted) crankcases,
    gasket goo all around the joints, exhaust on twisted
    4 weeks to NOT sort it!

He's NOT impressed with BMW machanics.

even some damage to the wheels

He's sent me the pictures and he's right to complain

He was considering a flat twin BMW racer style bike as a next step but not any longer

Its going back and he's off to Honda

When will BMW learn?
    Gone to a far far better place

they don't do themselves any favours,do they

"If you knew when you were going to die, would you live your life differently?"

the-other-bradders
    many engineers swaer by thrashing it from mile 1, and these guys do want some longevity

apparently the issue is not revving hard, its worse to keep at one rev range for too lonmg....ie lots of 70mph cruising in the same gear

Quote Originally Posted by the-other-bradders View Post
    its worse to keep at one rev range for too lonmg....ie lots of 70mph cruising in the same gear
    the break-in section of the manual tells that

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I can only speak from experience

17,500 miles since April and running beautifully...

No issues...

No problems...

www.adventure.gs
    Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain"..... Dolly Parton

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Name and Shame the dealer you brought it from as a demo bike. IMHO they should have sorted this for you to your total satisfaction and within a reasonable ammount of time and causing you the minimum of inconvenience, or simply just return the bike, write to BMW uk etc etc...

So, which dealer did you buy it from, i'm dying to know.. i bet i can guess....
    In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast