Adjusting paralever bearings

dancata

Reaction score
Hi all,

My '95 1100GS has some rear wheel play; if I press the rear brake, the play is still there, so that means it's not the big bearing, and all I have to do is adjust the shaft bearings, right?

Just want you to correct me if some of the below steps are not OK...

shaftdrive.jpg

• Remove rear wheel.
• Loosen strut at rear wheel drive (1).
• Release clamping strap (2).
• Heat free bearing journal (3) to max. 120 °C/loosen; heat fixed bearing journal (4) to max.120 °C/loosen.
• Clean 3 and 4 of Loctite
• Grease the bearings
• Screw in fixed bearing journal (3) using Loctite.
• Apply Loctite to the entire length of the thread on free bearing pin (4), and screw it in.
• Tighten fixed bearing of swinging arm. (3)
• Torque Fixed bearing journal (3) to 150 Nm
• Tighten Free bearing journal to 7 Nm (4)
• Tighten Locknut to 105 Nm (3)

Is this all? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Wile I am in there, I should also replace the inner race roller bearing, right? bike has now 104000 km.

yes, to adjust them, just heat the inner pivot, loosen the locknut, then using the 12mm allen wrench, move it clockwise a degree at a time, do this all with the wheel still on, check play by grasping the wheel, when play gone, do up locknut, recheck the wheel for play in 500 miles, if its back, then replace bearings :thumb

all I have to do is adjust the shaft bearings, right?

if your just adjusting the bearing there is no need to remove anything, not even the wheel - use an extension bar between the spokes.

yes, to adjust them, just heat the inner pivot, loosen the locknut, then using the 12mm allen wrench, move it clockwise a degree at a time, do this all with the wheel still on, check play by grasping the wheel, when play gone, do up locknut, recheck the wheel for play in 500 miles, if its back, then replace bearings :thumb

So no need to heat/unscrew free bearing pin (4)? Just heat the inner pivot (3), get it out, clean it and put it back in while adjusting?

Q: when I remove the inner pivot, does it get back inside easily?

Hi all,

My '95 1100GS has some rear wheel play; if I press the rear brake, the play is still there, so that means it's not the big bearing, and all I have to do is adjust the shaft bearings, right?

I'm no expert but if the symptoms are as described above we are talking about
exactly the big FD bearing don't we? The worn paralever bearings should manifest as a play which will be gone when the rear brake is applied, or am I wrong?

So no need to heat/unscrew free bearing pin (4)? Just heat the inner pivot (3), get it out, clean it and put it back in while adjusting?

Q: when I remove the inner pivot, does it get back inside easily?

no need to unscrew, clean or remove, your just tightening it slightly to remove play :thumb

It's the bearings i need to adjust, cause with or without the rear brake pressed, the wheel moves together with the final drive, so the big bearing inside the FD is ok, even at 100k km.

Also, I thought I needed to heat the adjusting screw because of the loctite on it... Won't the adjusting screws threads get destroyed if screwing or unscrewing it without previous heating?

Thanks.

• Heat free bearing journal (3) to max. 120 °C/loosen; heat fixed bearing journal (4) to max.120 °C/loosen.
• Clean 3 and 4 of Loctite
• Grease the bearings
• Screw in fixed bearing journal (3) using Loctite.
• Apply Loctite to the entire length of the thread on free bearing pin (4), and screw it in.
• Tighten fixed bearing of swinging arm. (3)
• Torque Fixed bearing journal (3) to 150 Nm
• Tighten Free bearing journal to 7 Nm (4)
• Tighten Locknut to 105 Nm (3)

Is this all? Am I missing something?

Note the fixed bearing is (4) and free is (3). You start getting them mixed up half way through :blast

Don't use loctite when you replace everything, it's not needed and the threads won't come undone.

It's also makes life easier if you need to adjust the bearings whilst on a trip.

Don't worry too much about torqueing up when you adjust, just take up the free play and tighten the lock nut hard then check again.

If it needs adjusting again within a couple of thousand miles then the bearing will almost certainly need changing.

Don't worry too much about torqueing up when you adjust, just take up the free play and tighten the lock nut hard then check again.

Because the bearing will not be worn evenly (it only rocks back and forth).

Don't use loctite when you replace everything, it's not needed and the threads won't come undone.

It's also makes life easier if you need to adjust the bearings whilst on a trip.

If it needs adjusting again within a couple of thousand miles then the bearing will almost certainly need changing.

Spot on - people can get a bit anal over the paralever bearings and adjustments. :D

My only fear is that i will destroy the threads while adjusting, without heating the screw, but if you say it's ok, I will go ahead.

You will need to heat the screw, if it has threadlock on :augie

Yeah what he said – I’ve stripped the threads out of swing arm before by not using heat. Had to buy a whole new swing arm. Whilst I appreciate that it may be possible to adjust paralever pins with the rear wheel in situ, I think it would make sense to remove and heat – just in case.

if your just adjusting the bearing there is no need to remove anything, not even the wheel - use an extension bar between the spokes.

another thread with another post that has saved me from doing stripping out more than i need too:clap:clap:clap thanks all:)

now that thread lock those box heads use:eek thats some serious shit:eek

now that thread lock those box heads use:eek thats some serious shit:eek

You're not wrong there. I reassembled mine with ordinary blue loctite (243?) but I think if I take it apart again I'll try it without any threadlock (Steptoe recommended this but I bottled it and used loctite :blast )

steptoe replaced the bearings on mine last year tightened up without any loctight nothing has moved,i think bmw just do it as a 'belt and braces' policy

Back
Top Bottom