Thread: 43X25cm pack size?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

43X25cm pack size?

hiya,is 43x25cm too big a pack size for a sleeping bag to pack on a bike?

thanks pip

07771 772511
    My Nanok packs to 15 x 15 x 45 cm and is no problem.

Yours is a fair bit larger, but will depend on what your packing it in and what else you're taking
    2008 R1200GSA
    "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much" Oscar Wilde
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"Albert Einstein
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction."Albert Einstein

1100 Rider Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    The good thing about sleeping bags is that they are light, I generally manage to get all of my bedding into one of those Aldi Dry bags easily, then as its light it goes on top of the other stuff.
    Stewart
    Old Stew
    Canbus fluid degausser hire PM me .
    You cant "Dust" for vomit

I would say don't compromise on a sleeping bag, the extra pack size is worth being warm, although the size your saying is a little on the large size. What about a decent 3 season with a liner as backup, should pack smaller and gives you some flexability. I camp 2up normally so pack size is really important, look at what else you want to take, you may be able to reduce stuff in other areas.

....... or perhaps put in one of the roll up/vacuum bags available on eBay or from Argos - reduces the volume and keeps it dry at home or lashed to the bike

North Wales TRF Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    That some sleeping bag...... I get my tent, sleeping bag and two roll-mats into one of the Crane Sport dry bags from Aldi, the type mentioned earlier.

Timpo.

Low flying GS'er Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Don't forget your hot water bottle... Stop sniggering at the back

Heat the water & roll your sleeping bag up around it when you go out to the pub. No-one sniggers on the way back in the freezing cold night air & it saves you having to get out of the tent in the middle of the night, when the beer you drank needs to escape. Just recharge the hottie... (only kidding)
    Paul
    '00 R1150GS "Adv/Supermoto"
    '95 Honda CRM250 Mk3

If it's not thrashing the fastest two wheeled machinery known to man, down country lanes lined with stone walls, sometimes in thick fog & driving rain, it's not proper racing - Thank goodness for the TT.....

http://www.encantadaholidayrental.com/ Disney holiday accommodation, available to rent in Orlando.

thanks for the replies.i know its on the large size.its a 4/5 season bag.thought it might be ok for a few winter trips.other options the coleman 1620 lite and maybe a liner.maybe smalls the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by pip001 View Post
    thanks for the replies.i know its on the large size.its a 4/5 season bag.thought it might be ok for a few winter trips.other options the coleman 1620 lite and maybe a liner.maybe smalls the way to go.
    After a cold miserable night you would make the space for a decent sleeping bag, if you get a compression sack things can be made a little smaller, a comfortable warm sleep is important. I find room for a hot water bottle for winter camps too
    Stewart
    Old Stew

MC aeternum
    No satellites available, are you indoors?
    My winter bag is probably the same size as that and as Stewart says, it's worth making the space for a good sleeping bag.

Mine fits fine into a pannier along with the tent and a Thermarest (and other stuff in the gaps), leaving the other box for clothes and food etc. When camping solo, I rarely need to strap anything to the seat or rack.

Having said that, my panniers are 11" Verns Tardis's :

Your mileage may vary....

I thought the Tardis was small on the outside and big on the inside , panniers like that I'd be taking my double quilt

reduces the volume and keeps it dry at home
    Sleeping bags are best stored unrolled. Keping them in their stuff sacks, or worse, using vacuum packs is a good way of destroying the insulation.

I keep all mine loosely drapped over the hot water cylinder which adds extra insulation to the cylinder. When I want to use them I just screw them into a stuff sack for the bike or for back packing just feed them into the bottom of the rucksac and push other kit down on top. Ignoring the stuff bag means you can force them into what ever shape is available rather then the fixed shape of the supplied bag.

right,found this.
    http://www.supertent.co.uk/product_i...e-sleeping-bag
    3 to -7 comfort range. packs to 28x26 only £34.00. i dont live far from snugpak so i might wonder down there to see if there any cheaper

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by andyclift View Post
    Sleeping bags are best stored unrolled. Keping them in their stuff sacks, or worse, using vacuum packs is a good way of destroying the insulation.

I keep all mine loosely drapped over the hot water cylinder which adds extra insulation to the cylinder. When I want to use them I just screw them into a stuff sack for the bike or for back packing just feed them into the bottom of the rucksac and push other kit down on top. Ignoring the stuff bag means you can force them into what ever shape is available rather then the fixed shape of the supplied bag.
    A good point, I keep meaning to rig a kind of clothesline in my loft, I am certain that my bags are becoming less efficient due to being kept in the stuff sacks.
    Stewart
    Old Stew