Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. New and secondhand BMW parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitting Tucano Urbano handlebar muffs - is there a trick?

Fitting Tucano Urbano handlebar muffs - is there a trick?

OK, I'm sure its a stupid question but how do you position the muffs? I got the 319 muffs from Val and attempted to fit them to my 2008 GSA with standard hand guards. I got the muffs on but they didn't seem to be in the right position. The thin material which velcros around the mirror stem was really tight and I thought the stitching might burst eventually. Is it supposed to be like that? I expected the front edge of the muff to be more or less parallel with the bar but it was on a funny angle, the outer corner much further forward than the inner one.

Is there a trick to it? Are they normally so tight across the mirror stem?

Doesn't sound right. They do take a bit of effort to sit properly - well more of a knack really. But the velcro should not be tight across the stems and I think (I haven't currently got them fitted and it's too dark to check) that the front of the muffs are reasonably parallel though not exactly in line.

Give them a good wiggle to ensure the handguards are right into the muffs.
    Paul

Take risks with caution

Deleted Member I
    I asked a similar question when I bought mine a year or so ago. Had to endure piss taking of the highest order

I think you won't get many serious answers.

BTW ... I just wear thicker gloves and the muffs are gathering dust in the garage

Oblate Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBob View Post
    Is there a trick to it? Are they normally so tight across the mirror stem?
    The trick with muffs is to wiggle them around until you feel the position is just right.

Tight? yes please

Seriously though - just keep undoing and redoing the velcro until you are happy with the alignment.

And they are one of the best add ons for winter riding
    ----------------------
    Sent by my butler

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    If you try fitting the mirror stalk covers as high up the stalk as possible they are very tight at the velcro seam. I found it best to only have them slightly up the stalk of the mirror, then wrap the thin bungee tightly around them to keep out the rain etc.

Although a pretty good fit for the GS, they are originally designed for a scooter so the fit is a slight compromise.

Agreed that for winter riding they are an excellent product. Who cares how naff you look when your hands are warm and dry with summer gloves on in mid-winter.
    ADAM

2008 R1200GSA

Be careful not to fix them too tight though as you will need movement in them when doing a U turn or full lock etc.

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Format View Post
    Be careful not to fix them too tight though as you will need movement in them when doing a U turn or full lock etc.
    Thats why you don't buy the type that also fix to the bar ends
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Indecisive View Post
    I asked a similar question when I bought mine a year or so ago. Had to endure piss taking of the highest order

BTW ... I just wear thicker gloves and the muffs are gathering dust in the garage
    You thought wrong....

You thought wrong....
    True - but I had to exercise considerable restraint.
    Paul

Take risks with caution

Quote Originally Posted by Indecisive View Post

You want to pass them on in exchange for Beer tokens ????

Is there a trick?

No, not really, assuming you have the right model muff's for your bike and assuming you haven't got assorted additional switches / bling fitted.

Do they take a little bit of careful fiddling about to get them, just so?

Yes, it's worth making the effort, though. Once done this year, it will be easier next year.

It it worth running a cable tie around the mirror stem, to clamp the muff's 'ears' in place?

Yes.

Is it a good idea to clamp the muffs at the bar end?

No.

Why?

It impedes the muffs moving on full lock etc.

Fantastic items from Val, and once you've driven 90 miles in driving rain in summer gloves in mid winter and still arrive at work with your fingers still working normally you will fully appreciate their worth. Persevere and get fiddling.
    As for letting them gather dust in the garage...I seem to remember a certain person making a rapid stop to change gloves in a very light drizzle in France last year!

I'm too lazy to be a perfectionist, so my velcro doesn't even line up properly on mine. In my mind as long as it holds things in place the odd skipped loop is OK and I've not had a problem yet (only used them last winter and last month though).

I bought them as I was getting fed up of wearing huge gloves in weather that required precise feel. Last year I wore summer gloves all year (Result!).

TobyS

Deleted Member I
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmaslen View Post
    As for letting them gather dust in the garage...I seem to remember a certain person making a rapid stop to change gloves in a very light drizzle in France last year!
    It was still summer and it did start to pour down with rain

Oblate Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmaslen View Post
    You didnt leave him did you
    ----------------------
    Sent by my butler

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Dahoum View Post
    You didnt leave him did you
    Leave him? We were following him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast