Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening of new 'Tanger Med' port

Opening of new 'Tanger Med' port

The new port of 'Tanger Mediterranean' is coming online this summer in a phased introduction. As from today, 17 May 2010, all ferries from Algeciras that previously went to 'Tanger City' will instead go to 'Tanger Med' which, seeing as it is a shorter crossing, should result in a faster transit.

Ferries from Tarifa, Sète, Barcelona and Genoa will for the moment continue to land at Tanger City, but will transfer to Tanger Med in October.

The map below shows the new ferry route in red. The road links from Tanger Med are excellent with a new motorway (shown in dark blue) connecting the port to the existing A1 motorway heading south to Rabat.

Heading east is a new four-lane highway to Fnediq (next to Ceuta) that then connects to the new motorway to Tetouan.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
    and enlarges the world in which you live,"
    Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco GS Knowledgebase

Nice info Tim

Pro Conveen fitter Click here to find out how to Subscribe Fanum's Avatar
    It's about time

I hope they've upgraded the customs system rather than transferred the chaos that was/is Tanger city......

There's a nice track by the way Tim, a mile or so down the road from the port heading inland that is worth a look
    A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving

Well whoever is the first to use it, can we please have a decent report on the entry system and whether it has improved etc

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe Steptoe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gsrichie View Post
    Well whoever is the first to use it, can we please have a decent report on the entry system and whether it has improved etc
    A few of us went in it last year on the way back from the morocco dash. At the time the entry system was a man in hi-vis with a traffic cone. It was still being built And the road over to ceuta was fecking windy...
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post
    There's a nice track by the way Tim, a mile or so down the road from the port heading inland that is worth a look
    If it's the one I'm thinking of I wild camped down there one wet and windy night. Talk about cold!

For anyone who's interested in civil engineering and the like, there's a great thread on the new port on Skyscraper City. Post #70 on the thread shows a passenger train on the link between the passenger terminal at Tanger Med and the recently opened Tanger Ville station (in Tanger) with trains every two hours. From 2013 the Tanger Ville station will host Morocco's first TGV links, with a target of cutting the transit time to Casablanca from nearly six hours to just over two.

Tanger City port will concentrate in future on cruise ships and the development of a marina.

Tim
    "For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure

French Pyrenees...fast twisties all over the place...
    Thanks for that Tim...a good find...I head back in Sept for about 6weeks off roading...hopefully someone can post as to what they find in the way of getting thru customs...in comparison to the normal Tanger debacle

mongo
    Im gonna give this crossing a go when i go over in July will give a report on my return

French Pyrenees...fast twisties all over the place...
    Great.....(I just hope it will be more fluid than the other ports...)

Entered via Tanger Med yesterday. Police passport control on board ship with check as you disembark that you have been stamped. Then you ride about 1 km to the customs. Happy smiling faces, not a tout in sight.

I had a new passport, hence a new police control number so I had to visit a police cabin first whilst I was entered on the computer, then the customs stamped my temporary bike import form, and that was it.

mongo
    Thats decided it for then im gonna use this entry when i go next week. Cheers Tim

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe BD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cullis View Post
    Entered via Tanger Med yesterday. Police passport control on board ship with check as you disembark that you have been stamped. Then you ride about 1 km to the customs. Happy smiling faces, not a tout in sight.

I had a new passport, hence a new police control number so I had to visit a police cabin first whilst I was entered on the computer, then the customs stamped my temporary bike import form, and that was it.
    that all sounds alot easier than the stories i`ve been hearing,can you tell me afew things tim. do you still fill in your temp import docs for bike before you go? and how much was the ferry crossing and any more details as where did you leave from etc would make it simple fora group of first timers going in 6 weeks. cheers tim..

Senior Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    that all sounds alot easier than the stories i`ve been hearing,can you tell me afew things tim. do you still fill in your temp import docs for bike before you go? and how much was the ferry crossing and any more details as where did you leave from etc would make it simple fora group of first timers going in 6 weeks. cheers tim..

Google Morocco Ferries and select Algeciras to Tangier Med crossing. Select dates and get a quote.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe Jacal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonibe63 View Post
    Google Morocco Ferries and select Algeciras to Tangier Med crossing. Select dates and get a quote.
    Yeah but is that a 'set in stone price'....If you did that with P&O ferries from Hull, you would pay twice as much.

The price I paid in 2008 seemed very expensive for such a quick crossing and it would be a great help to people if those that have travelled this route a lot would please give a price they paid insted of being vague, after all, it is a big part of your overall budget.
    The older I get, the better I was

Senior Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacal View Post
    Yeah but is that a 'set in stone price'....If you did that with P&O ferries from Hull, you would pay twice as much.

The price I paid in 2008 seemed very expensive for such a quick crossing and it would be a great help to people if those that have travelled this route a lot would please give a price they paid insted of being vague, after all, it is a big part of your overall budget.

We did Algeciras-Ceuta last year and did get an online quote before we left the UK but didn't book it (£148 I think). When we got to the ticket booths (about 10 in a row next to each other) it worked out cheaper to buy at the Port (£130) open return.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

I booked through www.aferry.to and paid something like £65 return bike and rider Algeciras to Tanger Med using Acciona Trasmediterranea.

I set the return date way in the future, no problem when I returned earlier.

Yes, completed import forms online per thread on this forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast