Travel advice reqd, Germany, Prague etc

Den

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking about going to Prague from Zeebrugge, taking about 4 lazy days to get there. Obviously, avoiding motorways and seeking mountains and lakes and bendy roads, Using B&Bs, in August. 10 days total. With Mrs Den.
I think thats all the relevant details.

I know there are various postings on this area, but tips on good scenic routes and things to see along the way. It need not be direct, a couple of hundred miles either side of a direct route is ok.

Im trying to convince Louise that this is a good idea so glowing reports and nice pics would be nice.

Ta in advance.

Cmon Lads, Am I going to have to work this out myself ?

Den said:
Thinking about going to Prague from Zeebrugge, taking about 4 lazy days to get there. Obviously, avoiding motorways and seeking mountains and lakes and bendy roads, Using B&Bs, in August. 10 days total. With Mrs Den.
I think thats all the relevant details.

I know there are various postings on this area, but tips on good scenic routes and things to see along the way. It need not be direct, a couple of hundred miles either side of a direct route is ok.

Im trying to convince Louise that this is a good idea so glowing reports and nice pics would be nice.

Ta in advance.

Went from Calais to Prague in 2001 via Hamburg, Berlin, Krakow & Slovakia.

From Zeebrugge, head towards Colmar on the French/German border - this will take you through the Vosges Mountains. Very nice, lots of tree lined twisty roads. Theres a restaurant at the top of Grand de Ballon (spelling??) with stunning views.

From there, cross in to Germany - Heidelberg, Freiburg & anywhere in the Black Forest are all worth visiting.

Then head towards Bavaria & Thuringa Wald - more tree lined (quality) twisty roads. Thuringa is slightly cheaper than Bavaria if I remember.

Cross in to Czech. Carlsbad (Karlovy Vary) is meant to be nice but I found the opposite (maybe I only saw the bad parts?). Several routes to take to Prague. You may well be amazed by the number of prostitutes lining the roadside en-route to Prague. Your choice if you care to indulge......

You have the choice of hotels or if you look on the outskirts of the city centre, you'll see signs advertising private apartments for rent. We did this, saved some money & got a good deal. The deal included breakfast, tram tickets & lots of info about any events for that month.

Instead of heading back the way you came, head north to the Polish border & cross over if you want. Small roads in to rural Poland will be like going back in time 50+ years.

You could also head south & come back via Slovakia (Bratislava) & Austria. Vienna is only 70 miles from Bratislava. If travelling in Austria, don't forget you GB sticker - I've heard it's illegal not to display, you can be fined (small amount?)

Have a good trip.

Steve

PS The Touratech factory is in Niedereschach, north east of the Black Forest.

I went to Prague and then up in to Poland a couple of weeks ago after a Rosyth- Zeebrugge crossing.

1st day was mostly main roads to get some distance out of the way, with an overnight stop in Gottingen.

The 2nd day was more rural and we went to Colditz, which is worth a visit. We stayed in Freiburg overnight and from there it's an easy trip to Prague. I can email you our route if you have Autoroute if you want.

Prague will be lovely with the missus and all the usual tourist stuff is within walking distance of the centre. We had planned to leave our bikes locked up outside the hotel, but the owner was so determined that we would put them in a secure car park, that he took us there in his car to show us its location.

Be sure to order some local currency. They will take euros no problem in the Czech Republic and Poland but at a poor exchange rate.

Current plan, for mid August. I go from zeebrugge > Prague. setting off from Zeebrugge Sat am. Wife flies to Prague arriving Mon.
So Ive got 2 and a bit days to get to Prague.
Fairly direct route reqd, missing out the nice bits a little further south.
Any advice on outward route

2 days in Prague, then set off Wed am. on scenic route back 2 up arriving for Sat night ferry.

Return journey planned, mountains, black forest, etc.
Outward (lonely) journey, any interesting routes or must sees in mid- northern Germany en route.

Dankashite.

PS, thank you for previous replies

Sorry Den I didn't see your thread until today.

I have been to Prague about 15 times since 1986 and have a variety of routes. As my holiday tends to start when I get there I ignore all the critics that moan about motorways and go for it and then start my touring when I get there.

I assume by now you have the dates firmed up and accommodation booked? If not, try the Hotel Extol in Prague. I can let you have the email address of the lady that books it for you. It's not in the city centre but close by and within easy tram ride to the Old Town and Weceslas Square. I've stayed there five times, as a family, as a couple and with a group of blokes en route to the GP and various bike rallies.

My favourite route is across through East German with a stop in Erfurt or Eisenach, I am too tight to pay for hotels and don't camp so I stay in the Youth Hostel. At Chemnitz you turn right and head through the couyntryside off motorway and across the border, then to Prague.

Or you could cut off earlier and cross the border into Czech near Cheb and do a cross country to Prague. Either way there are some decent and realtivelt free roads.

My trip in may this year incuded some Bohemian country riding to fit in a few sights and off motorway is a delight.

Feel free to email me for any pther advice. I don't claim to be an expert in all things Czech, but I lived there for a year.... and might be able to assist.

Thanks for all advice. BUT.... There has been a slight change in plans due to time restraints.
Not going to Prague now. Travelling to Annecy, round lake Geneva and up through Switz, Germany. etc.
There is enough info on this forum to find good bits. Ta again.

Is your missus still flying out to Prague though as the clothes shops over thier are very expensive.....!!!

By the way anywhere near Annecy is superb for the GS.

Have Fun

AndyT;)

No, Andy, Shes flying to Geneva now............. Thats probably even dearer.

Since my Prague trip last year had to be cancelled due to an unforseen birthday surprise, we have decided to go this year instead. August. Same plan, I ride there, Louise flies, both ride back. Two weeks total time.
Thanks for the info already provided. Any further hints and tips would be appreciated.
I.E nice towns and villages to stop en route. I always seem to end up in the shitty industrial type places, then find out on my return that there was a lovely wee"not to be missed" village half a mile away.
Hopefully my well planned trip will not be cancelled again due to someone hiring me an e type jag for my birthday week .
Some folk have no consideration at all.
Also, does anyone know the phone number of the SAS. I need them to guard my house while I am away. Im beginning to think Im developing an unlucky streak.

Incidentally, does anyone else do the, "let the wife fly and meet her there" thing.

EDIT, I forgot to say, 3 days in Prague, the rest, ont road.

Den said:

Incidentally, does anyone else do the, "let the wife fly and meet her there" thing.
One of the chaps that came to Lake Garda with me did so. He rode solo from Calais. As we stayed in the same hotel for 5 nights in Garda his wife flew into Verona and stayed with us for 4 nights. I think she flew back home too.

As we rode through the Black Forest on day 2 and the Bavarian/Tyrolean Alps on day 3 she missed some of the best scenery.

On the way back I would be tempted to spend a day or two in the Eiffel Mountains. Trier is a nice city in the Moselle valley. Worthy of a day exploring off the bike if you want a day out of the saddle. About 4 hours from Zeebrugge.

Back
Top Bottom