Travelling to Bulgaria

Anthonypowell

Reaction score
Hi
Has anybody travelled from Italy through Slovenia,Croatia,Montenegro and then either Albania or Serbia Montenegro into Bulgaria, I am trying to find the best route as a friend of mine lives near Sofia. I know there maybe a problem with Kosova so thought Albania maybe the answer or come of the coast early through Serbia Montenegro. any advice would be welcolme. Also has anybody travelled with a Khyam Biker tent as I have had one for 6 years but still find the packed size quite large and takes up quite a lot of space on the bike
many thanks
Tony Powell

I have travelled through most of those countries on the way back from Turkey last Summer. My route was Turkey, Greece, up into Bulgaria and west through the mountains, back into Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria etc. Macedonia wanted 50 Euros for insurance to drive though, which is why I dropped back down into Greece before entering Albania. All countries enjoyable to ride through.

Travelled that route , but went thru Albania to Macedonia then into Bulgaria. No problems , but watch out for the "bura" (high winds) in Croatia, if the road is closed, don't ignore it!!! I did at my peril, got a pic of me and the bike pinned to the armco on a mountain bend by the wind. A nice policeman stopped to help and almost couldn't get out of his car as the wind pinned his door shut! Insurance expensive for Macedonia (or was it Montenegro?) as far as I remember there are 3 prices - one for bikes one for cars one for lorries, I drew a picture, a euro sign and a question mark to get the right price and saved lots.)

Take the detour and visit Mostar in Bosnia & Herzegovina. (Don't ride after dark!)

The Albanian people are very kind and helpful. Roads are sh1t, but makes for a very interesting ride, specially through the centre of Tirana! (they might have mended them since then.)

You'll cry when you see lake Bled in Slovenia - it's stunning.

Go to Veliko Tarnovo in Bulgaria - it's fab, very higgledy piggledy.

Are you going to Romania? Go to Sinaia, Brasov, Bran, then Sighisoara where Vlad Dracul lived. Lovely medieval town.

Jealous, very jealous. have a great time:thumb

yeah, Bled is beautiful, nearly as much as Killarney ;)

and watch out on that Sofia ring road - some parts are dual carriageway, up to 4 lanes on each side, WITH PEDESTRIANS CROSSING :blast and it quickly narrows down to a 2 lane single carriageway !!!

If you go to Romania there are nice roads in the Carpathians but the valley of the Danube is very boring.

Sibiu, Brasov, Sighosoara etc are worth visiting :)

Hi,
Me and my friends have decided to take a road trip this time for the Bulgaria.. I will be heading there next month and little worried about the routes as I have no idea about this place.. I was wondering to know anybody know the best route for it? Please help!

Hello..
Bulgaria is my mother native place but now we all live in Cambridge.. I have never been there before and want to experience the road biking.. From where should I start my journey? And also from where I can rent a bike?

You can get cheap flight tickets to Bulgaria. In comparison to earlier days the flights tickets have been so cheap now-a-days which can be easily afforded by the people. Today people also prefers getting flights to Kathmandu to make their journey relaxing and memorable.

Having ridden to Istanbul this September I can report that I was refused entry into Albania from Northern Greece, as I didnt have Green card and they wouldnt or couldnt sell me insurance. They were pretty unfriendly and unwelcoming. This went against what I have read from most accounts, but my advise is DO travel with a Green card, and ensure it covers all the countreis u r planning to visit. The other alternative to your routte is to go to Bukgaria via Romania, which was my route down. I can highly recomend Romania. It was a fabulous country to visit by motorcycle. have a good trip.

I'm looking at doing this in 2012. I was considering going down through Italy and then taking a ferry to Greece but it looks as though you can get a ferry in Croatia and avoid going into Bosnia and then through Montenegro & Albania. What's the insurance situation though? I'm sure no UK company will insure me and I don't want to get all that way and then not be able to buy insurance at the borders

Did a fair bit of most of these countries in the last two years, not Albania though!
Couldn't get a green card for a couple of them from my UK insurer so either didn't bother where I could get away with it or bought it at the border. No real problems apart from Serbia wanting 80 euro for the 1 day we were there....
I was advised by a Bulgarian motorcyclist to visit an insurance broker in Eastern Europe, they will apparently sell you a green card for anywhere at little cost. I haven't tried this but I'll give it a go this year!:augie

JC

UK to BG

Hi
The best route is, France,belguim,holland,Germany, Austria Hungary, Rumania,
Entering BG at the Ruse crossing over the Danube. 1800 miles from Doncaster
I've drove to BG 5 times using this route. Used the other route once throu Slovenia got stung by there customs 200 euros insurance. Keep to eu countries.

keep to the eu countries .... fecking silly concept

Hi
Keep to eu countries.

Thats a VERY VERY silly idea.... Serbia is great ... and now no insurance issues if you have an EU reg bike!!, Bosnia i Herzogovenia is fecking excellent... Croatia is almost EU... but still Balkan...

And all 3 are very much BIKERS WELCOME!!! Go see them before the EU rogers them silly.....

gets easier all the time....

SRB - no green card required and is now covered with the minimum level in EU on all policies. and if you want to travel with extended .. ie comp etc ...Groupama through Carole Nash do!!

BiH - Groupama do... but also border insurance is fairly cheap

Croatia - same as SRB ... and included on most policies now

SRB - no green card required and is now covered with the minimum level in EU on all policies. and if you want to travel with extended .. ie comp etc ...Groupama through Carole Nash do!!

BiH - Groupama do... but also border insurance is fairly cheap

Croatia - same as SRB ... and included on most policies now

I concur with Gavinbell, I am setting off early hours with my end route being Glamoc in Bosnia, the only extra cover i require is on entrance to Bosnia :clap

I am with motorcycle direct - Aviva :JB
I cant wait.....:clap

Hi guys
I am just prepping a solo ride round the Balkans and a bit further east leaving next week for 5-6 weeks and Carole Nash offered a green card for all the non eu countries plus Armenia and Georgia for £46 no problem. Seems like some of the advice I have read on this thread indicates that some countries might be using the old rules.....ie requiring local insurance. Is this the case?

Also, anyone know whether I need to bother with an IDP? The AA recommends it for some but do I need it?

What is the situation with camping rough? Is it a problem? Any security concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks

Hi
The best route is, France,belguim,holland,Germany, Austria Hungary, Rumania,
Entering BG at the Ruse crossing over the Danube. 1800 miles from Doncaster
I've drove to BG 5 times using this route. Used the other route once throu Slovenia got stung by there customs 200 euros insurance. Keep to eu countries.

its a good fast route, but a bit borin, lots of motorways, easily do able to varna in less than 3 days that way though if your in a rush, some easily accessable places on that route though, Budapest, Vienna Sophia etc

Back
Top Bottom