Radar detectors

Kav

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I think this has been covered before but does a Zumo 660 count as a radar detector in the Baltic states and Scandinavia where they are verboten.:confused:

They do in Germany and Switzerland if they have warnings for fixed cameras. Local versions don't have the warnings. Confiscation and fines are possible.

disable the camera warnings in the menus if you are worried - they won't alert then. Never had a problem when stopped in germany

how could this be provable? It is highly unlikely they will confiscate your sat nav :rolleyes:
Relatively simple to see if the GPS contains speed camera data if you're standing next to a camera, the thing will be beeping away.

disable the camera warnings in the menus if you are worried - they won't alert then. Never had a problem when stopped in germany
Doesn't do it unfortunately, if the device contains the camera position data it's illegal.

Relatively simple to see if the GPS contains speed camera data if you're standing next to a camera, the thing will be beeping away.

Doesn't do it unfortunately, if the device contains the camera position data it's illegal.

So does that include when its turned off ?

Iain

Radar and GPS is 2 different things....radar detectors detect laser emitting guns and some fixed camera's with x band.. Europe only uses KU and Laser on mobile units I believe...

From memory most EU countries have in recent years banned the use of Radar detection devise's
GPS speed scamera 's on your sat nav are still legal in central and eastern Europe..

But Iam sure you will get a Romanian cop telling you they are banned for a fist full of dollars.
:augie

GPS speed scamera 's on your sat nav are still legal in central and eastern Europe..
Depends on your definition of Central/East Europe. GPS with camera locations (eg UK Zumo) are illegal in Germany and Switzerland - don't know about Austria.

Looking at TomTom and no mention on the list they are illegal.
Man, nobody is trying to persuade you, its been widely discussed here and elsewhere (AA and IAM websites have full info).

Choose to believe what you want.

Depends on your definition of Central/East Europe. GPS with camera locations (eg UK Zumo) are illegal in Germany and Switzerland - don't know about Austria.

+1 :thumb2

I've looked into this a bit over the weekend - from what I can make out it is illegal, in Germany, to have any electronic device that holds information on the position of speed cameras. I reckon that would be the same whether it is turned off or on! It doesn't appear to be a problem to have the position of the speed limits etc only the position of the cameras.

Therefore I reckon as long as you haven't got a POI giving the position of the speed cameras themselves - there is no problem using a sat nav.

But this is only an opinion - Enjoy your trip

As above, gps indicating the speed limits is ok but having POI on the gps or a pure GPS based camera warning system is a big no no. plod and border patrols know where to look on a gps for the database.. i know as i have been stopped and they checked it.

quite ironic as quite a few police websites list the camera locations and the type of camera e.g. red light or speed.

linky for swiss law

.....it is illegal, in Germany, to have any electronic device that holds information on the position of speed cameras. I reckon that would be the same whether it is turned off or on!

You are absolutely correct Sir.:thumb2 What's ironic though is that it is perfectly legal for motorists to call in to radio stations advising where mobile speed traps have been observed and for the station to then broadcast this information. There must be a logic to this somewhere although I'm blowed if I can spot it.

When travelling in southern Germany ensure that you have Hit-Radio Antenna 1 tuned into your headset. In fact, if you're taking a rest stop near a Wi-Fi hotspot and have your Netbook with you, then you can even check out this page http://www.meinantenne1.de/news/verkehr/kameras/ . The green camera symbols are the current location of mobile speed traps......hovering your mouse over one of them shows you a picture and physical location of where they are.

This is what the AA say.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/germany.pdf

"A GPS based navigation system which has maps indicating the location of fixed speed cameras must have the ‘fixed speed camera PoI (Points of Interest)’ function deactivated. Should you be unable to deactivate this function the GPS system must not be carried."

As it happens I often turned it off on the bike anyway because I wasn't breaking the limit and I found the bing bing bing in my ear and interrupting the mp3 player bloody annoying.

This is what the AA say.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/germany.pdf

"A GPS based navigation system which has maps indicating the location of fixed speed cameras must have the ‘fixed speed camera PoI (Points of Interest)’ function deactivated. Should you be unable to deactivate this function the GPS system must not be carried."

As it happens I often turned it off on the bike anyway because I wasn't breaking the limit and I found the bing bing bing in my ear and interrupting the mp3 player bloody annoying.

the AA says the same for switzerland but it is incorrect, the law here is clear... if the gps has the database and you are caught you will in some do-do :rob

does not make any difference if it is disabled or not.

would not rely on the AA info.

it appears i have cocked up the link in my earlier post above....... remove everything before www.

Back
Top Bottom