Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 450 exc being R$allye prepared

450 exc being R$allye prepared

I ave started to prepare a 2003 exc 450 for a rally and thought it may be of interest to some of you guys..

purchased the bike for £1600
    Photobucket

Got myself a big tight A BIG TANK 25 lt i think a bit tooooo big

Photobucket

Roadbook and Imo
    Photobucket

Roadbook mount i was going to mount it strait to the frame but i was running out of time so i opted for this.

Photobucket

IMO fitted.
    Photobucket

GPS Mount bolted on to side? not sure if it will stay there...

Photobucket

Wireing needs some planning..

Photobucket

I ran a single cable to the fuse box that is mounted under the roodbook frame.
    Photobucket

Armour cable thingy and a tidy up
    Photobucket

So i wanted to have some type of fairing to protect that expensive kit.
    So in card board tying to get my head around what is needed.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

so this is the first shape, i think i can mount it.
    Iv ordered some foam plastic stuff ( supposed to be easy to shape and mold) after speaking to a perspex suppliers and they recommended it, its not arrived yet.

Photobucket

A bit too square. I will put more shape to it, as its mounted to the forks it has to move with the steering, the downside of using that type of roadbook mount...

Lights

Got some of these of the internet, fle bay, the brackets come from the same seller. I wanted some led ones but i was concerned they would not pass an MOT.

The other concerns is the drain on the electrics etc, What with all the other kit. i have wired each system with an isolator switch so i only use the items i need.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The other thing i wanted to do was make the lights seperate from the rally kit, so i could just undo the roadbook holder and it will still have the minimum for road legality in the lights etc.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It looks like that "helping hands" character off Robots the movie..lol

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe dibdob69's Avatar
    Looks good , Not sure about the lights What rallys are you looking to do chap ?
    New site for the BBRC and Rally Riders http://rallymoto.co.uk/forum.php

Looks good johnny lights ok but my guess is that they will look much better when in the fairings
    Is this a road legal bike or not

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe BAKERMAN's Avatar
    do you recone you will need a stearing damper ?

Lights

Yep the bike is currently road legal ish ,except it's missing a horn....to be refitted asap.

The lights are e marked ! I might flip horizontally! Just need to adjust lenses and get come brackets made up.. They are designed to be used with the fairing, which I haven't made yet! Got some plastic stuff and will have a go at shaping/ moulding this week.

I was going to enter this years taureg rallye, but it did not pan out. So next year for sure.

Finn thanks for the tank I will get it fitted next week.

Steering dampener

Quote Originally Posted by BAKERMAN View Post
    do you recone you will need a stearing damper ?
    Iv never used one so don't really know if I need one! I know lots of people use them, they ain't cheep. Would get one second hand if the price is right

lights and fairing

Photobucket

Light wired in on a switch on the dash

Photobucket

Plastic/ foam thingy, got two pieces this size for £30
    Photobucket

Using the template I made earlier

Photobucket

Photobucket

Using a camping cooker i started to heat and shape the material, just like a i did in scholl in design tech It was pretty easy to shape and held its shape very well once cooled.

Photobucket

I bolted it into place using the holes in the lighting mounts and some bracket clips
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Turned out ok for the first attempt, I might have a play and swap the light to horizontal .
    Its still pretty light on the front but the light are draining too much juice, LED would be better. It actually gave pretty good protection, 50mph without with visor open= very sheltered.

Got a wide comfy seat if interested

I am

Quote Originally Posted by Phil W View Post
    Got a wide comfy seat if interested
    I will pm you.. Cheers. Although the front is so big I might after stand up the whole way....lol PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by jonnywave View Post
    I will pm you.. Cheers. Although the front is so big I might after stand up the whole way....lol PM sent
    Just noticed you are in red. No PM ! Drop me an email on johntazdixon@gmail.com

Jonny, definitely go for a steering damper, it will make the bike handle a lot easier.

Iv never used one so don't really know if I need one! I know lots of people use them, they ain't cheep. Would get one second hand if the price is right

Damper

Quote Originally Posted by dakarDude View Post
    Jonny, definitely go for a steering damper, it will make the bike handle a lot easier.
    I will get one if one comes up second hand, I can't justify the money just yet. I purchased Ht Oil cooler from the states, will fit this weekend, it will nearly double the amount of oil in the engine, .

Photobucket

Good job
    Needs a name now, how about Klukluxklan

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe john_aero's Avatar
    http://www.albertodottori.net/pagina5.htm

this guy is mean be cheap for fairings that match up with your tank

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

I will get one if one comes up second hand, I can't justify the money just yet. I purchased Ht Oil cooler from the states, will fit this weekend, it will nearly double the amount of oil in the engine, .
    Sounds good J! (Get photies up on here!)

Jono has my 525EXC in for a full looking at. Can't wait to get it back after he's worked his magic on it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast