Sprockets

Lost John

Reaction score
Has anyone tried fitting a smaller sprocket on the back or a bigger sprocket on thr front of the 800? Would like to sit at 90 without wanting to wait for a piston to jump out the side.

17t Front

Hi, I just traded my yellow F800Gs, but a few weeks ago I ordered a renthal 17tooth front sprocket thinking it had originally a 16tooth one from the factory.
When I got it off it was exactly the same, my next move was to order a smaller rear sprocket, I think it's the only way so check the teeth before u order, might save u some £££..

Up a tooth

17 now on the front of mine, lowers the cruising speed revs my 500rpm, fuel economy is up getting 64 cruising at 85mph.

Best £15 mod I've done to the bike.

Hi, I just traded my yellow F800Gs, but a few weeks ago I ordered a renthal 17tooth front sprocket thinking it had originally a 16tooth one from the factory.
When I got it off it was exactly the same, my next move was to order a smaller rear sprocket, I think it's the only way so check the teeth before u order, might save u some £££..

I could give that spare sprocket a good home if it needs one... :beer:

G

Hi there

Just carried out my yearly service including the valves and changed the front sprocket to a 17 tooth on the front and took it out for a test ride today, and wow what a difference. Not only does it lower the revs by about 500 rpm which makes 85mph cruising much more liveable but it also makes the bike much smoother with no issues on acceleration really.

The only issue was that the sprocket was sized on and and I had to persuade it off with a slide hammer but all good and the bike is great.

All for now

Mark

Up a tooth

Does this mod make any noticeable difference to the acceleration?

Andy.

I've noticed it's better for overtakes as it hangs on a bit longer before needing a change up the box.

I always thought the standard gearing was made for the bike going off-road with knobblies on. Way to low for everyday road riding. It will still pull away on an incline in 2nd :thumb

17t

I could give that spare sprocket a good home if it needs one...

Hi Greggers, I don't need it, but it's done 12k I think unless it was changed when they did the chain recall. It looks in good condition & ok for test purposes, but I wouldnt recommend fitting it long term. If u want it cover the postage no problem.

Thanks guys, sprocket on the front is currently a 16 so just ordered a 17. Will give some feedback once fitted :beerjug:

I've got the 17 tooth front sprocket on mine too. Definitely better cruising, lowered the consumption by 4mpg on a long motorway run and hasn't affected the acceleration that I can notice.

Definitely makes things too high geared for proper off-roading, but if you're doing 90% road riding then swap to the 17 front, and buy a 15 for the days you wanna get dirty!

I always thought the standard gearing was made for the bike going off-road with knobblies on. Way to low for everyday road riding. It will still pull away on an incline in 2nd :thumb

How different we all are. I have gone down to a 15 on the front and up to a 45 (from 42) and I think it is now perfect for normal weekend riding.
It was working hard on a 4 day trip to Scotland though.

How different we all are. edit: deja vu.. :0)

I'm trying to suss out the best mix for sharper acceleration and useability on rough tracks. I run TKC's permanantly and live in the Far North of Scotchland - so sitting at 90mph in a straight line isn't exactly at the top of my list. I want low end useability, more mid range pull and couldn't give a monkeys about fuel consumption or high cruising speeds.

What do we reckon for that, then?

I find stock gearing just about right for road riding. It revs a bit on motorways at 80 but copes well with it and the fuel is ok circa 65 depending on wind and hills. The bike is happy in 4 or 5 gear on the tighter Dales roads, watching the fuel consumption meter its sometimes happiest with high revs and low engine loads which gives very good and instant acceleration out of bends. I get 69 mph average and 95% of my riding is on country unclassified roads. Over the last 28000 miles I have not felt the need to alter the gearing.

I have put a 17 teeth sprocket at the fornt, and after a bit of getting used to I just love it. Since I still have my 1150GSA, it's nice that the 800 is much more alike with the new sprocket than before.

I ride a lot of motorway km's, and it lowers the revs with about 500Rpm, making the current fifth gear the same as the original sixth gear. But now I've got some kind of overdrive left for long streches of motorway.

Besides, I had put the Touratech Desierto3 fairing at around the same time, and it transforms the 800 from a "wind in the face, fighting the wind, high reving" bike into a relaxed motorway cruiser, without losing any of it's nimble features ;)

Grtz, Philip!

How different we all are. edit: deja vu.. :0)

I'm trying to suss out the best mix for sharper acceleration and useability on rough tracks. I run TKC's permanantly and live in the Far North of Scotchland - so sitting at 90mph in a straight line isn't exactly at the top of my list. I want low end useability, more mid range pull and couldn't give a monkeys about fuel consumption or high cruising speeds.

What do we reckon for that, then?

I would start off by going down one tooth on the front cos its cheapest thing to change, £15-20.
If you still want sharper / stronger acceleration try going up at the back as well.
I am sure someone on here said three up on back is the maximum you can get away with on a standard chain.

If I find the thread I will post link.

There is no-way I will be going back to stock gearing!!

Back
Top Bottom