Athens - Pindos - Instabul - Izmir

petkostas

Reaction score
Will be doing this trip during the last week of August, if anyone has info (regarding lodging mostly) and scenic routes would appreciate it.
2 GSA's we are from Greece (so no need of information for the Greek part) but would like to know if there are any must visit spots in Turkey (we have heard numerous places, but would prefer some feedback from fellow riders), also we are planning 2 day stay in Instabul and then the rest over Izmir, is there another place worth staying along the way? (we will probably travel the seaside road) any cheap but comfy spots to arrange our stay?

After istanbul you should visit canakkale troy, assos and pergamon than its efesos..capodacia and pamukkale. itss beautifull.no problems with the roads at all.going back to greece, you can use close greek islands which are chios(I live just opposite the island) kos and rhoedos.I always use chios to go athens 7 hours and night sail and 28 euro..pp and 22 euro for the bike.
on google , you can check the kanaris tours chios and get all the info.

let me know if you need any further info.

On the coast between Cannakale and the ferry to Chios is the small seaside town of Candarli. I can recommend the Cafe Pansyion. It is on the beach with several excellent eateries right next door. It is family run with great atmosphere and pleasant rooms

Tel +90 (0) 2326733122

N38 56.231 E26 55.778

Do try and squeeze in the town of Sirince, if and when you get down to Ephesus. They are in the same vicinity and Sirince is a nice little town with authentic village houses let as B&Bs for backpackers and travellers alike. You will enjoy the rural atmosphere and the locally brewed house-wines. Cappadocia is magnificent, definitaly a must-see, but its located further inland and would be pushing it to squeeze it all into 1 week considering the fact you're planning to spent 2 days in istanbul, then some in izmir and the rest blimbing down the Aeagean coast.

Gallipoli

A ferry across the river at Cannakkale, very cheap, and then ride over to Anzac Cove.
All signposted, and you can reflect on the fruitality of war. Such a pretty place.
Mind the Tortoises!

Istanbul

Spend soon time here.
Fantastic.

Stay at Turkoman hotel 100 m from the Blue Mosque.

we will probably travel the seaside road

You might want to consider traveling inland for one stretch of the trip (via Yalova/Bursa/Balikesir or vice versa) as you'll have a 3.5 hour ride from the Greek border to Istanbul...and then back to Canakkale (or vice versa)

There's not too much to see on this route though other than the usual Turkish countryside, BUT I would recommend a stopover at Bursa for an Iskender kebab and a kunefe dessert...and then a half hour snooze!

Thank you all! :)
Still planning and collecting information! :)
The initial trip was supposed to be Turkey - Syria - Jordan but due to the unrest of the 2 last countries the trip has been cancelled.
I would love to see Cappadocia (which still tickles my mind) so either a tour of the coast of Turkey, or a 1 night stop at Istanbul and then straight to Cappadocia :)
Any other information would be much appreciated! :)

Hello All,
Since we are now a few weeks ago, would like to know which would be the best spot to stay in Instanbul, any info would be appreciated.

Istanbul place

Spend soon time here.
Fantastic.

Stay at Turkoman hotel 100 m from the Blue Mosque.

Saying again.
Fantastic place.

If you can not find them they will send out a guy by taxi, who will sit on the back of your bike (on my tent actually) and he will take you through the streets.
Mind you, if he does what he did for me. The wrong way up one-way streets and through Blue Mosque pedestrian area. Maybe that is the normal thing !

Malc

We booked at the http://www.booking.com/hotel/tr/the-basilica.en.html
Don't know if it is good (well 2 nights it will be) but it is located near the interest spots and has a parking as well...
My problem is now to book somewhere around Izmir...Selcuk is my initial plan (limited options though) any other suggestions for that place?
It will serve as a launch base for the rest of the days (Pamukkale, Izmir, Bodrum etc).

Selcuk:

Hotel Akay

Make sure you get a room in the courtyard section, seperated from the main hotel by an alley. The pool is in this section and each of the rooms has a small terrace with table and chairs.

I suggest that you take a couple of hours to visit Sirince, a small village in the hills behind Selcuk. It's an old Greek village, much restored and where fruit wine is a speciality. If you get there make sure you try the blackcurrent and redberry flavours (you be offered loads of free tasters). St John's basillica is very near to the hotel in Selcuk, and is a must see place. Don't bother with the Virgin Mary's house in Ephesus, it's utter crap and is almost certainly not where she lived.

Thanks everyone for the info!
1 week in magical Pindos has come to its end, tents have been packed, bike is ready...so we off we are today for the last waypoint in Greece (1 night stay) and tomorrow we will be entering Turkey!
Wish everyone the best! And talk to you soon! :)

Would like to thank everyone for the information (also about booking hotels), the trip was lovely and I really enjoyed my time at Turkey.
When I get the time I will post some pictures and a small write up! :)
Here is the garmin log from the trip:
full.gif

Back
Top Bottom