It Wheelies off the thottle too

obewan

Was out the other day, and had this bloke in a car really worrying me. I was filtering passed fairly heavy traffic on an A road (turned out to be a very slow moving lorry a mile or so ahead) this car driver decided to do the same.

Well you can imagine the other drivers were none too happy so it was all getting a bit fraught, my mirrors being filled with this car who kept trying to get into the same gap as I was. ANyway enough of the mittigating circumstances. We got to some lights and I gunned it away.

Only when i went into second did i feel the tale tell bump of the front wheel hitting down. Shoot was that an ickle wheelie this just pulled??? Not sure, felt like the wheel touching down erm best check.

Next set of lights gunned it, yep that is for sure the front wheel coming up. Yeee Ha.

I know it's not big and it's not clever but it is fun. And folks think beeEmm make sensible old man's bike poor fools.

Anyone off to the Spills Kill rally this Saturday in London? Meet at the Ace cafe for a ride int Hyde Park. I'll be coming down from Brum for it.

now you found out?

I found (driving the demo) that must be soft not to wheelie with first gear, you can easily wheelie with second and you can even wheelie with third if you throw your weight a bit to the back

(always talk about power wheelies only)

oh it has the power :) and it has the power EVERYWHERE (full range)

if this engine was allowed to pull more than 7700 RPM (say 1000 more), it would kill MANY MANY more bikes out there (as it would top end more than 110 HP)

obewan said:
I know it's not big and it's not clever but it is fun.

It is big and clever... :D Just make sure you're in a safe place :)

I found that out after the 2nd roundabout... ya'hsee... I was borrowing the bike that Hoove rides a lot... :D and I went straight across the first roundabout,... ... pulls nice... then the next one was a right-turn, and I took the inner line, and to my pure enjoyment a few seconds later I was wheelying past the 316 in the inner lane... :cool:

Sorry Hoove, but it's a demo and it needed to demo what it can do... well, I did order one from you guys after all :D

.. Now who's got any stoppie tips for the 12? :rolleyes:

In fact any general stoppie tips? :)

Wheelies scare me, I have to admit, I'd love to be able to do a controlled wheelie but never have the bottle.

On the other hand, doing an amateur stoppie is easy, just squeeze the front brake hard and shift your weight forwards. Works on my Fazer 600 anyway. I would have thought ABS makes it easier as you can worry less about losing the front end.

The less controlled part though, I find, is when the back end comes down again with a massive crash and I worry for my rear shock. Any tips?

Stoppies!

Aside from climbing over the front of the bike and yanking the brake thats all you can really do.

I can do small stoppies on the VFR, but they need careful planning as otherwise ABS kicks in! But i find progressive application of the brakes for a few seconds followed by a quick squeeze (fnar fnar) will bring the rear upwards.

Repeating this exercise on a ZX6R loan bike i nearly ended up flying over the bars! those damn sportsbikes are so nose heavy, no proper weight distribution ;)

Mouse said:
Wheelies scare me, I have to admit, I'd love to be able to do a controlled wheelie but never have the bottle.
I went to wheelie school a month ago and had a great time. Wheelies scared the shit out of me too but a day at the school everything seemed so calm, no drama, no scares and almost easy to wheelie. Would highly recommend it to anyone, just for the experience.

Al

I'll second that!
7835720-L.jpg

Hi Spout,

I reckon you've got so good use out of my photo!

As per our chat at the rock show why not give me a bell and we'll get some more shots done, to show the lads what really can be done with an 1150!

Regards

Reggie AKA The Cameraman

NLS said:
you can even wheelie with third if you throw your weight a bit to the back
(always talk about power wheelies only)

3rd yes:D Doing a bit of lane splitting with Charlie on the Back of my 12.. down into 3rd. against the stop.. up she comes:p
Don't know who got the biggest fright, Me, Charlie or the traffic around me:rolleyes: :p

Erhm... :rolleyes: Personally I've yet to meet a person who actually can wheelie, and says it's not cool...

... Just a note, like... :rolleyes: :eek:

Hoy mush....I've got a 1200 and I'm not a mormon. (C of E actually):p
This was a reply to Paragons post, but its gone... disappeared into the ether (which is what he's been drinking methinks):p
Bloody hell...wierd, I;ve reposted before he posted. I must septic.

Para...

well said Paragon...................................eyes agog at this new phenomen.you can enroll on the wheelie school and play all day:beer:

Paragon said:
To be distinguished from the contributors to this thread in that way is indeed a compliment - thanks - praise indeed.
If this is all you can contribute to the Forum you are indeed men of knowledge
Unleash hell
If all you can talk about are "wheelies" you all need counseling

Bill, Surely you can cast your line better than that.. :rolleyes:

grin factor

listen guys, you have major grin factor opportunites and I love blowing off all those crutch rockets when i'm out.........
my STX1300 is about redundant and the VFR is not far behind, mind the week in scotland with a day with an average riding speed of 82mph over 307 miles was fun..............but nothing competes with going anywhere(just about) on my G/S.GS
Dood'

Re: grin factor

Fred Doodey said:
listen guys, you have major grin factor opportunites and I love blowing off all those crutch rockets when i'm out.........
my STX1300 is about redundant and the VFR is not far behind, mind the week in scotland with a day with an average riding speed of 82mph over 307 miles was fun..............but nothing competes with going anywhere(just about) on my G/S.GS
Dood'

I can't condone such hooligan behaviour.. my Wheelie was purely accidental.
Should be ashamed that you achieved such an average speed on Public Highways:(

Back
Top Bottom