Revised Plan-The Phoenix option-Turkey here I come

JackoUK

Reaction score
A couple of disasters have befallen me in the last couple weeks that have rendered my long anticipated trip to South Africa a non-starter. (My tenants setting my house alight whilst growing cannabis topped off with a minor but potentially serious medical condition, both arising within 1 month of the start of the trip:blast) are sufficient to put the mockers on the whole trip.
However, down but not out should be my family motto, and my revised plan is to accompany my travel mates down to the Syria border, via Italy, Greece and Turkey, and then have a bit of solo fun in Turkey before returning home by any route I decide. Hence the 'Phoenix Tour'
I need some recommendations for places to go/see and I notice that there are some on here that could help. I recognise that I'll be heading near to Istanbul both out and back, but big cities are not really what I crave.
Hope you guys can give me some ideas
JackoUK:thumb2

Contact Francis Maxey of this parish - he went that route last year and had a great time - before Syria went tits up.

Sounds like an awesome trip. A friend and I just had a nine day, 3800km blast through eastern Turkey two weeks ago. I can recommend a few nice places. I guess you'll be in Hatay province next to Syria and that is just a great place. Antakya (Antioch) is the birthplace of the Christian religion and has some of world's oldest churches. The food there is amazing.

Gazantepe is a really nice well preserved old, yet modern Turkish city. The downtown is packed with historical buildings and baazars but it is not touristic. The locals are shopping there. Be sure to eat at İmam Cağdaş restaurant! It is one of the best in Turkey. Lunch was fantastic (be sure to order Ali Nazik and the mixed grill).

From Gazantepe is it only a couple hours to Mount Nemrut (7000ft) which is just amazing. Google it. The western approach is the easier (paved) road. We came up the eastern side and that was pretty hard. Once you are up there is no way to get a bike around to the other parking lot. We went down halfway then found a track around the mountain (in the dark), that took us to the west side.

We went to the Karadeniz region which is in the extreme N.E. up against the Georgia border. It is very mountainous and green and lush with tea farms, waterfalls, rivers, great, great curvy roads and fantastic food. Go to Hamsikoy and try the freshly made Sutlac. (Rice, milk pudding) I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Sumela Monastery is beautiful. But it rains a lot so the autumn might not be the best time to visit.

Cappidoccia is not to be missed if you are riding across Anatolia. Google it. It is one of the most amazing natural and culture wonders of the world.

The roads are OK. You'll get everything from the autobahn outside of Istanbul to goat tracks. And the surface can change from one to the other very quickly especially in the east. Be careful of the traffic though. It is totally treacherous. What bad can happen, will if you let it. Fuel is good (95 octane and up) and gas stations really good. The people are super if they are not driving!

It's a great place to have a bike holiday.

Cheers

Thanks for those responses. I'm now seriously looking forward to this modified tip, and I know it'll be a good time. Anything else you can think of, jump straight in. I'm especially looking forward to the food in the rural areas
Cheers JackoUK

I'm currently in Kas & have ridden here from Ist via Sanliurfa. I can give you more info on accommodation food & routes later as I hate typing on this facking phone.

I'm currently in Kas & have ridden here from Ist via Sanliurfa. I can give you more info on accommodation food & routes later as I hate typing on this facking phone.

that'll be cool denny, hope to hear from you later. I leave in a couple weeks, meeting up in Lugano and then riding down to Ancona in Italy then the ferry to Patras in Greece. Looks like a nice ferry ride. The trip around to Turkey through Greece looks ace too, and then I'm into Istanbul and the rest of the country. Although this is definitely a compromise trip, in place of a 6 month Africa adventure, I know I'm still going to have fun.
JackoUK :thumb

I recognise that I'll be heading near to Istanbul both out and back, but big cities are not really what I crave.
Hope you guys can give me some ideas
JackoUK:thumb2
You could take the ferry across the Sea of Marmara Eceabat-Cannakale (or further North at Gallipoli) if you wanted to miss out Istanbul in one direction . Shame to miss it completely, however.

In Western Turkey, http://www.gallipoli.com.tr/ is a nice place as a base if you want to see the Gallipoli area.

Hi JackoUK, finally home after a looong day in the saddle!! RR to follow.

So....what do you have in mind...any specific cities? Will you be taking a tent with you? Budget?

D

Hi JackoUK, finally home after a looong day in the saddle!! RR to follow.

So....what do you have in mind...any specific cities? Will you be taking a tent with you? Budget?

D

Denny, sorry I took so long with the reply. I'm going to travel largely on a budget and I will be taking a tent with me. I'll divide accomodation between budget hotels and camping, depending on how things are. Just anything or anywhere you can recommend really. Be good to hear from you,
JackoUK

I would totally recommend passing through livigno on way down or back. Beautiful, cheap, surrounded by best roads in alps, fantastic place. Pm me if you want details or need any camping kit for the trip. Have a great time, I recently modified my trip from Crete to Corsica and the trip was still a blast :)

Bad luck Jacko..... Hope you can salvage some of cannabis.....

No such luck

Bad luck Jacko..... Hope you can salvage some of cannabis.....

That would've helped I suppose but the police took it all away mate. All they left behind was a fu...ng great mess. Seems that the damage isn't as bad as it first looked but it'll still take a fair bit of work to get it right. Now working on the original plan A, to do the Pan American next July/August. Thanks for the thought though. See you when I get back
JackoUK:aidan:thumb2

Denny, sorry I took so long with the reply. I'm going to travel largely on a budget and I will be taking a tent with me. I'll divide accomodation between budget hotels and camping, depending on how things are. Just anything or anywhere you can recommend really. Be good to hear from you,
JackoUK

Hi there, apologies for my late response too!

Not sure where you plan on going but Turkey is vast with many places to visit. Obvious ones are...

Cappadocia, first stop for all overlanders! Stay at Kaya Camping in Goreme. 30TL a night, has a pool!! Go past the Salt Lake on the way there.

You'll preumably be heading east from there towards Adiyaman/Mount Nemrut. Popular for sunrise & sunsets. The sensible option to get there when looking at a map is via Kayseri & Malatya however the roads are boring and onward routes are limited. I suggest going via Develi & Tufanbeyli then K.Maras. Stay at Zeus Hotel in Kahta about 20km before. Or there are two places 12kms from the summit, can't remember their names but their prices are reasonable. One of them allows tents. Or you could pitch a tent at Nemrut Crater lake, I've not been myself but a fellow biker recently stayed there. It's not really an official campsite, just a clever local who has knocked up a few bits & pieces including hot çay on tap!

Diyarbakir, didn't stay there just went to see the sites. Not the best place to be right now either. Don't even stop in Batman! There's a car ferry over the lake from Kahta to Diyarbakir.

Hasan Keyf, ancient rock dwellings, worthwhile visit. Will be totally submerged soon due to a nearby dam :mad: I haven't stayed overnight but have been told the only b&b in town is grotty. However Midyat is very close by and has a couple of great traditional guest houses. Not cheap but not overly expensive. Haggling with a smile always works! We stayed here...

http://www.hotelnehroz.com/web_en/index.html

Mardin/Harran - Lots of history, and pesky kids grabbing you from all directions, especially at Harran.

Sanliurfa, colourful vibrant city. again, lots of history...food is fapping great!! We 'roughed it' and stayed in the Dedeman Hotel...4 star very nice...couldn't keep the wife in a tent all the time!

Gaziantep, Foods great, has lots to see, including the recently opened mosaic museum which is apparantly the largest of its kind! I stayed at my aunts so cant offer any advice, but there are a lot of hotels about.

Hatay/Antakya we opted to stay at Orient Camping, which is about 50kms from Antakya. Very close to Syria, lots of wierd & wonderful people. Museum there is awesome! Food is even better - Sultan Sofra ftw!! Turn left out of the campsite and the road takes you through a windy mountain pass then onto the coast which is a 30km stretch of dirt track along the coast. We didn't pass anybody for the entire stretch. Chose tarmac for the return leg :D

These are places that we went a couple of weeks ago. You may aboviously have something totally different in mind. The Black Sea region would be good but not at this time of year as it can rain a lot there with floods & landslides being regular occurences.

You could go further east up and into Iran. You probably wont get into Syria. I met some French travellers who tried but were turned back, apparantly you need a damn good reason to enter, or have a local invite you over. If you are going further east be careful and alert. The local terrorists (PKK) have stepped up their attacks. Their targets are military and govt, not bikers so it's ok!

South coast of Turkey is fantastic. The coast roads are awesome practically all the way from Mersin to Fethiye. Avoid Kusadasi, Kemer, Alanya, Bodrum or any other place with big all inclusive resorts. Recommend Kas - Kas Camping, excellent location with good facilities. Cirali is one of my favs, you can pitch a tent towards the end of the beach or just stay at one of the campsites. Olympos is in the neighboring valley and is more suited to the hip younger generation. I'm not old....just boring :comfort

Note that there are places called Ogretmen Evi (teachers house) all over the country. They offer basic but clean accommdation at a decent price. You don't have to be a teacher to stay there, but if you were one you'd stay for a fraction of the cost! You'll find one in most cities.

Roads...you can stick to the main roads or try cutting through. It will take longer but you get to see small villages and the scenery is generally better. Be carefull for gravel as the govt loves to scatter the shit all ofver the place without warning most of the time! And the speed limits for bikes are about 20kms less than cars. Cant remember exactly what it was though.

I can't think of anything else right now, hope this helps :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom