the RT vs GS thing

I enjoyed the RT I had for 3 years and nearly got another but the GSA has an edge which is difficult to put a finger on. I just get more pleasure and fun from it. And I agree with an early comment in the thread about the RT screen being just a bit too much even in the low position.

I also find the GSA is very nearly as good with weather protection and in some areas (top of the knees) better.

Anybody who thinks the RT doesn't handle is sadly mistaken. But it is very sensitive to having the "correct" tyres.

Paul, which tyres did you prefer? I am running BT21's which I believe can be improved on?

Sorry to hijack this but the tyre quote got me thinking :rob

Avon Storm Ultra II's worked very well on my RT. The original Metzeler Z6's were good too.

Bloody hell - the passion is flowing now......

I am not really too fussed what others think - I loved my old GS (2006 std) but I did fancy a change - I have to be honest for the first 1000 miles of RT ownership I was kind of neutral the bike was great but I would say that all the usual things of difficulty tipping into corners and unassuming weight etc were in MY mind.

To be fair as soon as I did the first good trip away on it - bloody hell, did I fall for this bike, its perfect for what I want. Very rewarding ride and as good at cornering as I could ever be.

I did look at an FJR at the time I swapped but the cost of it was excessive and the ST was out of bounds because I couldnt get a demo.

All I would say is it doesnt bother me if others dont like the RT it is my choice of bike and I love riding it - I ride with a few mates at weekends quite often and they have GS's and they love them too. Thank Christ we are all individual - or it would be a boring world!

Rik

Paul, which tyres did you prefer? I am running BT21's which I believe can be improved on?

The ones I found streets ahead of any others I used (though IIRC I never tried BT21s) were the Conti Road Attacks. But there are 2 versions (and don't let tyre dealers kid you otherwise); go for the ones with the stiffer sidewall "C" fitting. I found they transformed the handling compared with the OEM Pilot Roads. Gone was the slight shmmy at motorway speeds, felt much more planted and turned better.

Downside was less mileage and I once had the non C fittings which were nowhere near as good and wore the front in a very funny way and became very nasty.

I don't think I'd buy an RT on the strength of it's percieved weather protection. I did a tour of Scotland a couple of years ago, I was on a Tiger 1050, one mate on a Thunderbird Sport, the other on an R1200RT. Needless to say it pissed down and blew a hooley while we were away. The guy with the RT was just as wet as me and the other bloke, plus the RT was getting blown all over the place, particularly on the motorway and was unable to keep up as a result.
There's not much point being encumbered with all the extra weight, and having to dismantle the fairing to get at things. I'm quite happy with a screen just for deflecting a bit of wind presure.

rt

if the RT is anything like the GS then high speed cruising is not really possible, my GS feels a bit strained by about 90 (and is guzzling fuel like a V8 muscle car)

125mph is about tops for the GS/GSA, compared to 135mph + for the RT .

Fuel consumption is around 40mpg on the GS/GSA compared to 45ish on the RT.

The RT will cruise at 100mph + all day long, I’m fcuked if I’d want to do that on either the GS or GSA and beleive me I've tried.

The big difference is that the GS variants are great off road, but are beaten hands down by the RT on tarmac, where it’s quicker more economical and far more comfortable.

You have had a lot of guessing going on, so before you start guessing again I’ve had one GS and two GSA’s and now have a 2010 RT

That said, they are both great bikes in their own way and I like many enjoy the differences they bring to the riding experience.

Loftboy reminded me of some other good things about the RT!

On a recent trip to France Spain the RT averaged 54 mpg regularly going 280 miles before ready for a fill.

Travelling back up from the MotoGP through Navarra it was blowing a gail and I have to say the effects of side winds on the RT is much less than it was on my old GS (Cant speak for a GSA)

Comfort was far better than the GS (I had a Seargent Seat fitted to the GS) but the standard RT seat is comfy for the tank range easy.

Wouldnt like to have to pick it up if it fell over / got crashed though!

Rik

On a recent trip to France Spain the RT averaged 54 mpg regularly going 280 miles before ready for a fill.
Max I've done is 340 miles to the tank, but I have drilled the filler tube so its easy to brim the tank. Thats one hell of a range :thumb

Max I've done is 340 miles to the tank, but I have drilled the filler tube so its easy to brim the tank. Thats one hell of a range :thumb

Ebbo, what year is your RT? Is it pre 2008? I think they reduced the tank capacity in 2008 from 27 to 25 litres, so that would make a difference to the range. Having said that, I have managed 320 miles on a tank on my 2010 RT, which is still an impressive range (though not as impressive as what you can get from a GSA before any of the GSA lads chip in and point that out:) )

It's an 06 Bob, before I drilled the filler neck 300 miles was about max

Cheers Ebbo:thumb2

They have changed the filler neck on the later models so drilling the neck doesn't have the same effect.

Feck me all these people cruising effortlessly at 100mph+ speeds, seemingly for hour after hour. Pray do tell of this paradise with no traffic and no police patrols.
I've often even found the derestricted german autobahns too cluttered to travel at such speeds safely.

Feck me all these people cruising effortlessly at 100mph+ speeds, seemingly for hour after hour. Pray do tell of this paradise with no traffic and no police patrols.
I've often even found the derestricted german autobahns too cluttered to travel at such speeds safely.

Try the M6.... Just keep your eyes peeled :thumb:thumb

You must have eyes like Superman. I tend to cruise between 70mph and 90mph on the m/way, weather and traffic conditions permitting, with the occassional blast over the ton for no more than a minute or two. I'm unable to identify unmarked police vehicles at such high speeds, and I used to drive them. :)

Back
Top Bottom