Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: the RT vs GS thing

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Thanks Paul.

I don't think I'd buy an RT on the strength of it's percieved weather protection. I did a tour of Scotland a couple of years ago, I was on a Tiger 1050, one mate on a Thunderbird Sport, the other on an R1200RT. Needless to say it pissed down and blew a hooley while we were away. The guy with the RT was just as wet as me and the other bloke, plus the RT was getting blown all over the place, particularly on the motorway and was unable to keep up as a result.
    There's not much point being encumbered with all the extra weight, and having to dismantle the fairing to get at things. I'm quite happy with a screen just for deflecting a bit of wind presure.

rt

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    if the RT is anything like the GS then high speed cruising is not really possible, my GS feels a bit strained by about 90 (and is guzzling fuel like a V8 muscle car)

125mph is about tops for the GS/GSA, compared to 135mph + for the RT .

Fuel consumption is around 40mpg on the GS/GSA compared to 45ish on the RT.

The RT will cruise at 100mph + all day long, I’m fcuked if I’d want to do that on either the GS or GSA and beleive me I've tried.

The big difference is that the GS variants are great off road, but are beaten hands down by the RT on tarmac, where it’s quicker more economical and far more comfortable.

You have had a lot of guessing going on, so before you start guessing again I’ve had one GS and two GSA’s and now have a 2010 RT

That said, they are both great bikes in their own way and I like many enjoy the differences they bring to the riding experience.

Loftboy reminded me of some other good things about the RT!

On a recent trip to France Spain the RT averaged 54 mpg regularly going 280 miles before ready for a fill.

Travelling back up from the MotoGP through Navarra it was blowing a gail and I have to say the effects of side winds on the RT is much less than it was on my old GS (Cant speak for a GSA)

Comfort was far better than the GS (I had a Seargent Seat fitted to the GS) but the standard RT seat is comfy for the tank range easy.

Wouldnt like to have to pick it up if it fell over / got crashed though!

Rik

Quote Originally Posted by Riktus View Post

On a recent trip to France Spain the RT averaged 54 mpg regularly going 280 miles before ready for a fill.
    Max I've done is 340 miles to the tank, but I have drilled the filler tube so its easy to brim the tank. Thats one hell of a range

Senior Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbo View Post
    Max I've done is 340 miles to the tank, but I have drilled the filler tube so its easy to brim the tank. Thats one hell of a range
    Ebbo, what year is your RT? Is it pre 2008? I think they reduced the tank capacity in 2008 from 27 to 25 litres, so that would make a difference to the range. Having said that, I have managed 320 miles on a tank on my 2010 RT, which is still an impressive range (though not as impressive as what you can get from a GSA before any of the GSA lads chip in and point that out )

It's an 06 Bob, before I drilled the filler neck 300 miles was about max

Senior Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Cheers Ebbo

They have changed the filler neck on the later models so drilling the neck doesn't have the same effect.

Feck me all these people cruising effortlessly at 100mph+ speeds, seemingly for hour after hour. Pray do tell of this paradise with no traffic and no police patrols.
    I've often even found the derestricted german autobahns too cluttered to travel at such speeds safely.

Quote Originally Posted by original_concept View Post
    Does Rasher work for MCN?
    dunno but reckon he could talk a glass eye to sleep. Gotta be a wum.

Quote Originally Posted by fatal View Post
    Feck me all these people cruising effortlessly at 100mph+ speeds, seemingly for hour after hour. Pray do tell of this paradise with no traffic and no police patrols.
    I've often even found the derestricted german autobahns too cluttered to travel at such speeds safely.
    Try the M6.... Just keep your eyes peeled

You must have eyes like Superman. I tend to cruise between 70mph and 90mph on the m/way, weather and traffic conditions permitting, with the occassional blast over the ton for no more than a minute or two. I'm unable to identify unmarked police vehicles at such high speeds, and I used to drive them.

There's nothing wrong with either bike. It's the rider that's the problem!

Some like the GS's some the RT's. I'm an RT man, ridden more than a few GS's when on "loan" from dealer as my RT's serviced.

I just prefer the RT, simple as that.

\v/

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    I own a GS and borrow an RT on the weekends sometimes. The RT has excellent wind protection. I've ridden it in the rain without rain gear and stayed mostly dry. Great for cold weather, kind of sucks in hot weather when you wish more air was hitting you. I don't like the riding position. My feet always hit the fairing when I put them down at a stoplight. It seems more awkward with a passenger at parking lot speeds. It's the type of bike that makes it seem like you are going 50 when you are really going 80, which I don't like.

Both bikes handle great in the corners. The RT is better on the freeway. The GS fits me perfect and I like the wider bars. I've done some touring on it. It's great on dirt roads or paved roads in poor condition. I always feel more confident on the GS. I definitely prefer the GS and can't think of a bike that I would rather own.

Owning a GS and borrowing an RT is definately the way to go
    If you can't fight then wear a BIG hat

06 BMW R1200 GSA
    03 Triumph Bonneville (Desert Sled)
    03 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)
    72 Triumph Trophy TR6C

Rt

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Nice 'n' Fat View Post
    Owning a GS and borrowing an RT is definately the way to go
    Beg to differ! Owning a RT and borrowing a GS for the vary rare times off road is the way to go!👍

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast