the RT vs GS thing

Overall, we were very very impressed and can't wait to ride one for 3000 miles in the States at the end of May :cool:
Whats the plan Sven, what areas are you riding? be great on an RT :D

Sven
Not sure how you had the "loaner" set up but just a thought - when I demoed the RT the only thing I didnt like was the cramped seating position, I am 5ft 11 tall so used it in the lower seat position. After a few hours I got used to the bike and stopped and put the seat on the highest setting (just cos my confidence in the bike had grown). Bloody amazing the difference - I now would not use the phrase "can put both feet flat on the floor" but only a "stretch" now not as bad as the GS was. However the seating position on the bike is brilliant - long distance is no probs and it feels like I am now on the bike not in it.

Rik

I guess I'll have a play around with the seat height in May as my dodgy knee was very painful all day yesterday.

Ebbo - we're setting off from LA and heading to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, Rockies, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco and then down the Pacific Coast Highway back to LA :cool: After Wednesdays testride, I'm sure we've booked the perfect bike for the trip.

I guess I'll have a play around with the seat height in May as my dodgy knee was very painful all day yesterday.

Ebbo - we're setting off from LA and heading to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, Rockies, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco and then down the Pacific Coast Highway back to LA :cool: After Wednesdays testride, I'm sure we've booked the perfect bike for the trip.
Spot on Sven, you know what your doing, if you have Garmin CN Nth America my track log maybe of use download here

Recomend horseshoe bend view over the Colorado River near Page on US89 its on the above file.

I've had a 2011 GS for one whole year and put just over 8000 on the clock and I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to test ride an RT. Why? cos' I'm sick to death of the constant wind buffeting to which there seems to be no cure. I've tried every screen in every position but I can't find an answer so sod it, the bloody bike can go.

I just traded My 07 RT for a GS, why? A number of things. The RT is an impressive tourer. It is lighter than it's competition and handles better, but it's too far removed from my idea of a motorbike. It's a two wheeled armchair. Now if you want supreme comfort and two up capability then fine, but most of my riding (especially overseas touring) is B road stuff, motorways bore me to death. It's overkill for what I like to do. The GS is more nimble, raspier and has more of a fun factor and that's what I need. If I had the money to buy more than one bike and needed a tourer in the garage I'd get a RT again for that purpose. You can buy heavier, larger capacity, faster uber tourers than the RT but none will do the job any better.

Hi Guys,

Treading in these step of the woods of the GS area :eek:. However i need some advice. I have an 2008 F800GS at the moment and have owned it since November and put 2,500 on it so far with travelling to Uni etc. The GS itself is restricted from 85BHP to 33BHP of which the bikes handles really well and i hardly notice the restriction other than the throttle. I on the other hand really want to move to an RT (no idea why but i just do as a long term bike instead of a car for Uni) but the issue i have is i don't know whether restricting a 1200 is stupid and impossible. Anyone have any ideas if it would be possible at all and if im just daft and should wait till my restriction removes in 2013?

Cheers Chaps. :thumb

Not sure how much fun a 33hp RT would be!
It's a big bike and it pushes a lot of air out of the way- think it would feel quite under-powered at 33hp

Stick with what you have. Get plenty of valuable experience on a lighter, more easily handled bike. That will make you a better, smoother rider in the future.

I use my RT for university!

Yeah i think they are perfect for Uni as they have a huge screen and a lot of wind protection plus excellent luggage. Although i thought an F800gs was heavier than the RT. :O My bike now is already too heavy so no hope if the RT is heavier. :thumb

Interesting thread.

One question that I have is how well the RT deals with 50mph crosswinds on exposed roads in the winter compared to a GS.

I read Sven's headwind comment, but headwinds aren't a problem on R1200s, its the whipping and gusting high winds that bug me out. This Winter seemed very windy (in the NW and NE) and I got blown around a lot on a R1200GS and was conscious of keeping the tank full to compensate.

Does anyone have any experience of an RT in awful conditions?

Just wondering whether a RT is good Winter bike?

I've followed RT mounted French coppers around the Loire during the Winter in awful stuff, they seemed happy enough.

Ta.

I've had a 2011 GS for one whole year and put just over 8000 on the clock and I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to test ride an RT. Why? cos' I'm sick to death of the constant wind buffeting to which there seems to be no cure. I've tried every screen in every position but I can't find an answer so sod it, the bloody bike can go.

Did you take the plunge?

Interesting thread.

One question that I have is how well the RT deals with 50mph crosswinds on exposed roads in the winter compared to a GS.

I read Sven's headwind comment, but headwinds aren't a problem on R1200s, its the whipping and gusting high winds that bug me out. This Winter seemed very windy (in the NW and NE) and I got blown around a lot on a R1200GS and was conscious of keeping the tank full to compensate.

Does anyone have any experience of an RT in awful conditions?

If by that you mean riding one all year round for the last umpteen years ( 1150 & 1200RT) yep, it's a good bike in bad weather. Frankly the only thing better would be called a car. :rob

I concurr.

I'm very comfortable riding the RT12 in windy conditions. Relax the grip on the bars and go with the flow and it rides fine.
\v/

If by that you mean riding one all year round for the last umpteen years ( 1150 & 1200RT) yep, it's a good bike in bad weather. Frankly the only thing better would be called a car. :rob

That's the kind of riding experience I'm after ;-)

Cheers.

Interesting thread.

Best bike I've had in a crosswind would be the K12R , worse by a long way was the KTM950Adv.

My RT is not quite as good as the KR, as its still a fair cross section, but its way better than my GSA.

Riding back from last years Silverstone Moto GP in torrential rain and high winds and it didn't move much at all, shoulders and boots were a tad damp tho.

Stu

Took the plunge and picked up a nice new RT SE on Thursday and am I impressed. Don't get me wrong I loved the 1200GS but as most of my riding includes a lot of long motorway runs the GS just didn't give me the wind protection to make the distance comfortable. I've had to adapt my riding style to suit the RT because it is a lumbering brute compared to the very filickable GS but now that I've got the hang of it long distances are going to be a pleasure and not a chore.
Wind protection is excellent, the seat is comfortable so long distance is going to be easy and it's manageable enough through the lanes and around town so that makes me one very happy new RT owner.

Took the plunge and picked up a nice new RT SE on Thursday and am I impressed. Don't get me wrong I loved the 1200GS but as most of my riding includes a lot of long motorway runs the GS just didn't give me the wind protection to make the distance comfortable. I've had to adapt my riding style to suit the RT because it is a lumbering brute compared to the very filickable GS but now that I've got the hang of it long distances are going to be a pleasure and not a chore.
Wind protection is excellent, the seat is comfortable so long distance is going to be easy and it's manageable enough through the lanes and around town so that makes me one very happy new RT owner.

I may be next, let me know how you're getting on with it in a month or so.

Tyre pressures are ok, must just the way I'm riding it, perhaps I should try and be a bit more layed back, more tourer and less adventure. I'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

Tyre pressures are ok, must just the way I'm riding it, perhaps I should try and be a bit more layed back, more tourer and less adventure. I'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

Yeah, though it's a bit strange for it to feel like a lumbering brute. A lot of people coming from a GS feel that it "falls into" corners. On another thread here, I posted this:

"the recommended pressures (solo; cold tyre) for front and rear is 2.2 bar and 2.5 bar respectively. Strangely enough, I've never ridden my RT at those pressures (must give it a try)! Mine have always been inflated to 2.5 bar front and 2.9 bar rear, the two-up and luggage setting."

So if you're on the 2.2/2.5 bar pressures, try the bike on the 2.5/2.9 combination. Others have tried it and liked it :)

Back
Top Bottom