Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Royal British Legion Iron Butt 1000 - Are you tough enough? June 22-24.

Like it or lump it Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Bouncer View Post
    Am keen to do this in 2012...perhaps with 1 or 2 others if willing.....

I'll register soon if I can ride shotgun as per above; if not, I'll register and do it solo.....
    Register. We have got a few who have already paid. Closer to the time we will see whose doing what and pair like minded people after a e-harmony questionnaire. Question 1. Do you like pies?

Coming from London I'm looking to due the clockwise north route depending on the sun.

No man left behind.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthLondonCookie View Post
    Register. We have got a few who have already paid. Closer to the time we will see whose doing what and pair like minded people after a e-harmony questionnaire. Question 1. Do you like pies?

Coming from London I'm looking to due the clockwise north route depending on the sun.

No man left behind.
    OK...have registered & paid me dosh, so I'm def in...

Yes, I like pies...

Would love to do Scotland...
    Bounce

R1200 GS Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

I'll be giving this a wee bash...

Having done the route over the years and in all directions....just fab roads. (the northern route that is)

Who needs an exuse to ride ya bike on some of the best roads over a 24 hour period...

TD...

Sorry to have missed the planning session on Sunday but am up for this challenge too.

Hoping there'll be a follow up meeting in London for those participating?

Quote Originally Posted by immigrant View Post
    Sorry to have missed the planning session on Sunday but am up for this challenge too.

Hoping there'll be a follow up meeting in London for those participating?
    If you call deciding on whether to have bacon or sausage a meeting then you missed a very important one. Certainly another meeting will happen after x-mas. When you register let me know and I'll put your name up on the board.

Pie Eating Champion Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Very tempted by this. Well up for a long run out and to raise money for a good cause. I need to move a planned Alps trip 1st as it clashes.Back soon.
    What Bill Clinton REALLY said to Monica Lewinsky was: "Sack my cook"

Some inspiration from the 1993 Iron Butt Rally

1993 Iron Butt Rally results

"Once in a Blue Moon"
    September 11, 1993

After 11 endless days riding around the perimeter of the United States, competitors returned to Mansfield, Texas on Saturday, September 11, 1993 to complete the sixth running of the Iron Butt Rally. Riders left Touring Specialities in Mansfield headed for checkpoints in Pomona, California; Spokane, Washington; Chicago, Illinois; Gorham (Portland), Maine; and Daytona Beach, Florida before returning to Texas. To boost their standings and earn a Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze medal, riders had the option of visiting bonus destinations.

The 1993 Iron Butt Rally started on the eve of a rare "Blue Moon" and some riders quipped that the opening bonus --- a visit to Branch Davidian Compound in Waco, Texas --- was a sure sign of what was to follow during the grueling event. The ending bonus was a visit to the "Broken Butt Saloon." In between riders could visit countless locations around the United States, including such scenic locations as Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon N.P., Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument, Yellowstone N.P., Badlands N.P., Pike's Peak (Colorado), Niagara Falls, Mt. Washington (New Hampshire), and the Smokey Mountains. Some of the more bizarre bonuses included The Elvis is Still Alive Museum, caressing a Melaleuca Tree, the City Hall Grill in Selma, Texas to find out how much a discount customers get when they stop in with a traffic ticket, the famous Cadillac Ranch, an underground Titan Missile Silo, a one-mile long earthquake fault, "The future birthplace of Enterprise Captain James Kirk" (from the Star Trek TV show), the world's only radioactive waste dump that's open to the public, the "Oldest Producing Oil Well in the World," and the World's Longest Continuous Bridge.

This year's rally set several records. At 69 years old, Garve Nelson (San Leandro, California) became the oldest finisher of the Iron Butt Rally, breaking his own record from the 1991 rally when he was 67, on a 1990 Honda Pacific Coast. Riding a very-tiny looking Honda CBR600F2, Don Dingbaum (Salt Lake City, Utah) earned the honors of being the smallest displacement (and possibly the "smallest" size) motorcycle to complete the Iron Butt. Riding a Kawasaki KLR650, Doug Packard (Horseheads, New York) is the first rider to finish the Iron Butt on a single cylinder motorcycle. Ardys Kellerman (Providence, Rhode Island) is only the third woman to finish this grueling event.

British Invasion!

Steve Attwood, a management consultant from Ampthill, Bedfordshire, England, shipped his 1983 Moto Guzzi MK III LeMans to the United States to compete in the Iron Butt. While the rest of the field of 41 riders came equipped with radar detectors and laptop computers (for navigation), Steve showed up with a set of simple AAA maps and an iron will to finish.

Eleven days and 12,458 miles later, Attwood won the Iron Butt Rally by a decisive 1,751 points (only 6 points separated the top three in 1991)! Steve overcame enormous odds to win the rally. Besides the handicap of locating remote bonuses (imagine finding places like Lee's Ferry, Arizona or Kelso, California in Europe on a rally of this type), Attwood had to deal with flat tires (the '83 Guzzi uses tube- type tires which require time-consuming wheel removal to repair) and had to replace wheel bearings in Florida. On the last day of the rally, with just 150 miles to go, the LeMans refused to start. Attwood traced the problem to a broken ignition coil and with just three hours remaining before being time-barred and eliminated from the rally, Attwood pulled out a spark plug and rode the final leg on one cylinder. With just 29 minutes remaining, he limped into the final checkpoint in Mansfield, Texas with the Moto Guzzi sounding like a large air-compressor rolling down the road.

Great Britain has thrown done the gauntlet to the American Long Distance Endurance Riding Community. Is the U.S. up to returning the Iron Butt crown to the States in 1995? Only time will tell!

Fast forward to 1995 and bad luck reared its ugly head. Steve hit a deer on day 3 and was uninjured but did not finish the rally.

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    If 286 riders ride 1000 miles = 1609km , that's 286,000 miles/460,174km = 5200 gallons/23640 litres of unleaded at an average 55mpg @ £1.375 p/litre so that's £32,505 spent on fuel alone....

If each rider stayed in bed and just sent the cost of the fuel to the RBL with gift aid they's actually raise more money and you wouldn't have a sore bum

Please don't take this the wrong way - I am an avid RBL supporter but this doesn't seem the most efficient way of rasing money for any charity .... unless one of the petrol companies joins in to help.
    Sadly there so much middle-class tokenism about these days

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    Sadly there so much middle-class tokenism about these days
    Agreed.

Perhaps we should sell our bikes, watches, jewellery, flat screen telles only eat pies with no meat in them and camp in front of St. Paul's. Sadly we would make very boring company at a cocktail party.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthLondonCookie View Post
    Agreed.

Perhaps we should sell our bikes, watches, jewellery, flat screen telles only eat pies with no meat in them and camp in front of St. Paul's. Sadly we would make very boring company at a cocktail party.
    Raising money for this cause is both noble and sadly necessary, shame you don't pick up on part of your reply unless of course you believe the more recent loss of life and injuries are justified.

An Iron Butt ride as a protest against what's happening in Afganistan etc. is something I'd be more inclined to take a pro active role in

The overlooked point which Gecko made was, it'll probably cost you more cash to do the ride than you raise....which raised the question, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    Raising money for this cause is both noble and sadly necessary, shame you don't pick up on part of your reply unless of course you believe the more recent loss of life and injuries are justified.

An Iron Butt ride as a protest against what's happening in Afganistan etc. is something I'd be more inclined to take a pro active role in

The overlooked point which Gecko made was, it'll probably cost you more cash to do the ride than you raise....which raised the question, why?
    The bigger question is who really cares how much it costs me?

BTW I tend to buy Heinz ketchup over the Tesco brand. Why? It tastes better and I can afford to do so.

Suddenly I feel like I am trapped inside a Lib-Dem conference.

G-spot locator Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Timolgra you ask the question why?
    you can do the 1000 miles within 36 hours or within 24 for the iron butt accreditation.
    it is up to you and for once you are riding your bike in a good cause as well as your own pleasure last year this ride raised over £38000 for the poppy appeal.
    If it costs you more than you raised in donations then that is down to your lack of effort.
    ride safe g.s.john
    Blessed are those who are cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    OK i'll go to my room now

1999 R1100G.S. ABS, RED ONES ARE NICER

ADAM

2008 R1200GSA

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

Again

Did the N route anti clockwise in 2010 and will go the other way round in 2012. Why is a good question? Because it's there maybe the answer?

Thumbs up

Just registered,
    I'd like to do the North route clockwise with an early start.
    Hope to see some of you guys there.
    David.

Me Too

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Just paid up so will be doing this in June. To be honest I have never done anything like this before and I am a little apprehensive, but it should be fun and I am definitely looking forward to it.

CB

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast