April 2012

Geoff Crowther

Reaction score
Hi all,
Went to Morocco on a BMW tour in 2009, such fun.
Now I'm contemplating returning with a mate for an independent trip for 3-4 weeks in April 2012.
Can someone tell me, can you just turn up at the Algeciras-Ceuta ferry and, if so, is there any benefit in pre-booking this.
Cheers
Geoff

Just turn up, the cheapest tickets can be found somewhere on a trading estate in Algerceiras, but fecked if I know the address or waypoint:)

Hi all,
Went to Morocco on a BMW tour in 2009, such fun.
Now I'm contemplating returning with a mate for an independent trip for 3-4 weeks in April 2012.
Can someone tell me, can you just turn up at the Algeciras-Ceuta ferry and, if so, is there any benefit in pre-booking this.
Cheers
Geoff

algeciras to tangier med may be better[no touts] and yes you can buy your tickets from the kiosks near the ferry.we paid between 62-65 euros one bike and rider single earlier this year. hth. j

Ok, that's all good to hear. Thanks guys!
Wideparting, was that the price to Tangier then? And by "touts" do you mean the blokes that hassle you at the Ceuta-Maroc border?
Cheers
Geoff

Ok, that's all good to hear. Thanks guys!
Wideparting, was that the price to Tangier then? And by "touts" do you mean the blokes that hassle you at the Ceuta-Maroc border?
Cheers
Geoff

algeciras to tangier med 62=65 euros one bike one rider single.yes no touts going into maroc,but a few at the entrance to tangier med leaving maroc ,trying to direct you to their mates kiosk. j

algeciras to tangier med 62=65 euros one bike one rider single.yes no touts going into maroc,but a few at the entrance to tangier med leaving maroc ,trying to direct you to their mates kiosk. j

150 euros one bike two people Algeciras-Ceuta in Sept...was I truly screwed over :eek: that was best I could find. Had three prices for three operators but pretty sure it was around 150. How do you folk get it so much less? It was the price on their computer screens so not scammed as far as I could see.

Aha - just re-read your post :eek, single - so maybe 150 ain't so bad (well, if frickin is for the distance / time aboard)

Thanks for the useful replies all.
Just booked our ferry for April 1st (how appropriate), Plymouth to Santander, returning on April 25th. That should give us 18 whole days in Maroc.
Having read updates on here we'll cross to Tanger Med.
Booked hotels through Spain and one in Tanger.
Hoping to stay in Ifrane or Azrou for a couple of nights to explore the cedar forest pistes with luggage free bikes.
Then planning to get down to the edge of the desert, Zagora area, and south west to the coast, taking in some easy pistes on the way. Might head for Sidi Ifni on the coast
Returning, possibly via Tizi n Test, Marrakech and Volubilis.

Anyone been on Chris Scott's MS5 recently, Zagora to Foum Zguid?
The book says it's easy. I trust it's not another freshly tarmacced route? We'll be on two loaded bikes and my mate's done little off road,(and I'm no trail-riding wizard), so don't want too many problems. I'll be on my 09 GSA and my pal's riding an F650GS.

Grateful for any helpful input on any of the above.

Roll on April
Cheers
Geoff :beerjug:

150 euros one bike two people Algeciras-Ceuta in Sept...was I truly screwed over :eek: that was best I could find. Had three prices for three operators but pretty sure it was around 150. How do you folk get it so much less? It was the price on their computer screens so not scammed as far as I could see.

Aha - just re-read your post :eek, single - so maybe 150 ain't so bad (well, if frickin is for the distance / time aboard)

From memory we were quoted £146 return (1 bike+rider) using t'internet in UK but we ended up paying £114 return from the ticket booths in Algeciras Port. (May 2009)

Hoping to stay in Ifrane or Azrou for a couple of nights to explore the cedar forest pistes with luggage free bikes.
Geoff :beerjug:

Sure you're aware Geoff, but Azrou is close by the Maroc Ski area (honest :eek:) so might be cool in April - we had the only cold wet weather there on way down in early Sept wence it was 40's in desert proper. We stayed a few days as a welcome break from heat - you might want to check they have heating in rooms :D

Yes Fritz, understood.
Stayed in Ifrane in October 09 and it was noticeably cooler at night. That's where the King has his summer palace, for obvious reasons.
Thanks for highlighting it though.
Cheers
Geoff

Geoff
I was going to take MS5 Zagora-Zguid The N12 two weeks ago but most of it is now graded so as we came out of Zagora to the west heading for the N12 you get to a point where the on Marokko-Topo map on the GPS and took the first track that came up on the right hand side . Followed this for about 80 km and came back to the N12

404.jpg

686.jpg

688.jpg

I have video clips of it as well When I sort the hours of clips I have

695.jpg

And this is the graded bit

699.jpg

Hi shan
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
If I understand you correctly, the first 3 pics are of of this other route you took, whereas the last one's part of the MS5?
You're bike looks like a modified F650GS, whereas I'll be on a fully loaded GSA, so my pal and I will probably be happy to ride a partly graded route, being fairly inexperienced.
Just the sort of info I was looking for, though I respect Mr Ifan's valuable point.
Cheers
Geoff

Have a great time Geoff, there's plenty of lanes in the Peaks were you could get some off road practise before you go - :thumb

Cheers Paul.
We're hoping to get further south and across to the coast, taking in some pistes on the way. Eighteen days in Maroc!
Hope all's well with you.
Geoff

Back
Top Bottom