Ownership experience

My fork seals have been leaking slightly since new. I thought they would bed in but seem to be getting worse after 1200 miles. I end up looking at other peoples fork sliders when stopping on a ride and keep wiping my own sliders during the day!! Never had any problems with fork seals on bikes during the last 42 yrs of riding ( and 60+ bikes). Anyone else had or heard of problems with seals on the S10 ?

Common (ish) issue apparently. Just get them replaced under warranty.

Thanks Tobers. Will contact the dealer to arrange the repair. The thing is, what's to stop them popping again if there is an inherent problem?
It's disappointing that a bike which is meant to go off road should do this. The only time I am likely to go off road is if I'm crashing!!
Still, it will give me a chance to have my tarnished spokes replaced (as agreed by dealer) with stainless ones.
Apart from these two "flaws" I really like the bike. It is roomy for my 6ft 4" frame, I like the handling and engine characteristics and it's economy. I suppose faults occur with all bikes!

Fit some Kriega fork seals (protectors) stops any shite getting into the seals, mine have been fine, nearly 3k on the clock now.

Yes, good idea Den. Thanksfor that :thumb2. Saw the pictures that you posted of them and they look really smart.

Just rung my dealer (Keith Dixon's in Accrington). He said he would fit forks from the just put on the road demo bike rather than strip down and replace the old seals (don't know what he's going to do when he comes to sell the demo!).

He's also going to replace the tarnished spokes with stainless ones free of charge and claim from Yamaha for the "ordinary" spokes. What a result :D although I have bought about 20 bikes from him over the years so he tends to look after me! Bike should be going in sometime next week :aidan

Fork seals

Had mine replaced under warranty today was told three hours took nearer 5 so worth doing before warranty runs out. As been said common problem apparently.

I fitted a set of Renthal Twinwall handlebars to my S10 recently. In common with the GS, the bars are swept back too far for my liking, putting my wrists at an odd angle.

The Renthals were the "RC High" model and are pretty much the same dimensions except for being a tad narrower and obviously straighter.

The Yamaha handguards wont fit so I have some bar end fitting Barkbusters on the way. If you don't want handguards, then the end weights fit fine with some of those expanding Rawlbolts.

Overall, a nice and effective change.

Tobers... reading this thread with interest, as swaying violently from a GSA to a S10. Where did you buy yours from.. dealer or private ? I'm having trouble finding one anywhere near what you paid for yours.....

JP

Tobers... reading this thread with interest, as swaying violently from a GSA to a S10. Where did you buy yours from.. dealer or private ? I'm having trouble finding one anywhere near what you paid for yours.....

JP

Just lots of ringing around. It was an ex Yamaha bike which I got from Powerbiking in High Wycombe. They had two going at a v.decent price. Unfortunately word is getting out and prices are moving up again, and it's spring (though you wouldn't know it). I picked up mine at the end of last year.

Just lots of ringing around. It was an ex Yamaha bike which I got from Powerbiking in High Wycombe. They had two going at a v.decent price. Unfortunately word is getting out and prices are moving up again, and it's spring (though you wouldn't know it). I picked up mine at the end of last year.

Thanks Tobers. Managed to get hold of a 2010 S10, with 5k on the clock and full luggage. Here's hoping it's as bomb-proof as folks suggest. Reckon serviving costs will be much less than the KTM990 Supermoto I've just sold........

1200 tenere or keep gs

Hi,thinking of purchasing a tenere 1200 es 2016 model,after many years of owning numerous gs bmws including lc models my latest one has developed corrosion in the engine paint,drive shaft,diff case,after going to dealer with it i was told it wasnt to bad!!!(i bought the bike last year with 150 miles on 9 months old) its not used in the winter and garage is bone dry.Enough of my rant ,ive looked at teneres before but always shyed away because of residuals but the new gs now seems to be in the same boat over supply i would think,back to my main question is has anybody made the same step.

S10 ownership

BMSOULS

I went through a similar experience, I had an 8yr old 1200 GSA and had been through the usual problems fuel strip, corrosion, gear sensor, batteries, BMW dealers etc over 30K from new so I was thinking something "Very" expensive was going to go soon so I did the usual search for a replacement and kept coming back to the S10, it seems the only people who do not like the Yamaha are the press, owner riders all over the world love it, so who do you believe?

I bit the bullet and got a S10 XT1200ZE a year ago and still think its great, good handling and with a few cheap mods comfortable and a good all day ride, Oh and reliable I blow a fuse taking too much load from the Aux socket so cost this year 10p-ish. but I spent a small fortune on mods, panniers, end can, hugger, Fuzeblock, rear brake pedal extender etc.

Overall a great bike but don't bother with Yamaha luggage personally I would go with the Kappa Garda cases and buy from Italy on line, much cheaper. These cases are the same build quality as the Givi but without the hinged top which usually leaks. I've got the Garda 46
very good top box in all respects.

Good Luck with your search, you will find many here that really like the S10.

Regards
Ian

Hi,thinking of purchasing a tenere 1200 es 2016 model,after many years of owning numerous gs bmws including lc models my latest one has developed corrosion in the engine paint,drive shaft,diff case,after going to dealer with it i was told it wasnt to bad!!!(i bought the bike last year with 150 miles on 9 months old) its not used in the winter and garage is bone dry.Enough of my rant ,ive looked at teneres before but always shyed away because of residuals but the new gs now seems to be in the same boat over supply i would think,back to my main question is has anybody made the same step.

I would post this same question over on the YAMAHA SUPER TENERE FORUM in the European section, there's not to many S10 owners posting or viewing here on the UkGSER site these days.
Have you ridden an S10 yet? You will have to be willing to accept a bit less power than the LC BM but that aside IMHO the S10s a better bike in far many other ways, good luck with your search lots of new unsold 2015s available at dealers for 10k ish

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum

BMSOULS

I went through a similar experience, I had an 8yr old 1200 GSA and had been through the usual problems fuel strip, corrosion, gear sensor, batteries, BMW dealers etc over 30K from new so I was thinking something "Very" expensive was going to go soon so I did the usual search for a replacement and kept coming back to the S10, it seems the only people who do not like the Yamaha are the press, owner riders all over the world love it, so who do you believe?

I bit the bullet and got a S10 XT1200ZE a year ago and still think its great, good handling and with a few cheap mods comfortable and a good all day ride, Oh and reliable I blow a fuse taking too much load from the Aux socket so cost this year 10p-ish. but I spent a small fortune on mods, panniers, end can, hugger, Fuzeblock, rear brake pedal extender etc.

Overall a great bike but don't bother with Yamaha luggage personally I would go with the Kappa Garda cases and buy from Italy on line, much cheaper. These cases are the same build quality as the Givi but without the hinged top which usually leaks. I've got the Garda 46
very good top box in all respects.

Good Luck with your search, you will find many here that really like the S10.

Regards
Ian

Hi Ian
Are you planning on coming along to Matlock on the 9th ? We will be meeting near Norwich earlyish for the ride up
Andrew

I've been in turmoil about choosing my next bike but I keep coming back to the S10, it was between a GSA, Explorer 1200 and the S10, I've read so much and it's the only one that seems to have minimal issues (spokes and the hard start) still to test ride one but having sat on the S10 and TEX I prefer sitting on the bike rather than in it. I've just listed my Strom for sale so hopefully it won't take long to own one!

I've been in turmoil about choosing my next bike but I keep coming back to the S10, it was between a GSA, Explorer 1200 and the S10, I've read so much and it's the only one that seems to have minimal issues (spokes and the hard start) still to test ride one but having sat on the S10 and TEX I prefer sitting on the bike rather than in it. I've just listed my Strom for sale so hopefully it won't take long to own one!

If you are considering a Triumph EXPLOADER I would advise a look through the owners forum, the whole forum has a very negative feel about it with page after page of quality issues, new issues arising all of the time, most recent is cracking header pipes on 3 year old bikes for which Triumph will not consider a warranty claim and relive you of just short of £1000 plus fitting to replace them, used EXPLOADERS are loosing value rapidly, I know I have had 2.

My own opinion formed after owning 2 Explorers, multiple visits to the Triumph dealer multiple periods without the bike to use over a 12 month period, I so wanted the Explorer to be a "great bike", after selling the first through frustration with all the time the bike spent in the dealers, I had thought I'd bought a bad one so bought a second Explorer, which was back into the dealer within 10days, with in 3 weeks I rode that bike 1 more time to the Yamaha dealer PX in my S10, very very disappointed Triumph, for me Explorers fell well short on the build and finish quality.

Back
Top Bottom