Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fecking jap bikes!!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Fecking jap bikes!!

In the name of all things holy!!!! Whoever designs these fecking things wants fecking shooting!!!!

In a moment of madness last week I bought a 1984 fj1100 for £600 (looked and sounded great in the eBay advert) I don't need to explain the mrs gone away for a few days, Friday night bottle of wine and eBay syndrome to you guys. I'm sure your all familiar with this scenario

Essentially the bikes fine apart from the front forks and needing a bit of fettling and for£600...

So I'll just pull the carbs off for an ultrasonic clean thinks I...why would anybody make a simple job like pulling the carbs off such an impossible task with normal sized fingers and as for putting it all back together again

The manual simply says "shimming the valves requires the use of a special tool" - "sod that" thinks I, I'll pay the local bike shop to do it...so after getting over the shock of being quoted £300 by the bike shop I ordered the factory shimming tool and set about the tedious task of shuffling shims about. Fortunately I only need to buy 3 new shims at a tenner each. so that's £30 for the shims and £53 for the shimming tool so I'm quits in and set up for the next shimming session in 8,000 miles time.

I can see why 2nd hand jap bikes are so cheap.

You can't help yourself Rob: You have to pull everything to pieces
    Just change the oil and filters, chuck a load of carb cleaners in the fuel tank and ride the fecker. It isn't an old british bike that will let you down if you don't maintain it. It will just keep going and going (I hope).

What can I buy for £1.00? Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Yes the carbs can be a pig to remove but in saying that there isn't alot of room to remove the carbs of a Funduro either. Special tools? Required for loads of vehicles, not just Japs.

A £600 FJ requiring some fettling....bargain, and when it's sorted you'll be laughing , until the fork seals go again , and again , and again.

On the plus side snick it into top and you won't need the gearbox for the rest of your journey.

If you need ANY advice on the FJ11, just ask. Had mine since 1990, and covered 96,000 miles on it...

BMW Slave! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Yeah I swear each time I get a rice burner to sort for someone that it is the last time!!!

and this time I get conned by my mate to split his 650 bandit I Fookin hate workin on them I'd RATHER do a clutch on a K1200LT than do this job again!

I had to split the cases to get in and find the rest of this
    #
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can! And the wisdom to know the difference!

Do you fix bevels on R12's or the latest Guzzi's? Or perhaps have the workshop hankies ready for Ducati buyers when "running costs" or depreciation comes up

Surely servicing Jap Fours means changing the oil and filter every 3k and then leaving them alone if they rev to the redline without farting or banging

Trustworthy Scouser AND
    Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the Wirral
    Robs gone quite...must be having a great time playing with a proper (Jap) bike...then he can sorn it until the salt has gone ( or the caliper pistons...whichever comes first )

Great bikes
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies !

I'd gone quiet because it broke down 5 miles from home the mrs is away so I had to walk home, get some tools, jump leads and the gs. Ride out there, find the problem and them leapfrog the bikes back home.

Piked up the thunderace front end this morning and a pair of R1 calipers to go with it so at least the crap anti dive front end will be a thing of the past. The 320mm disks and r1 calipers should sort the braking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
    I'd gone quiet because it broke down 5 miles from home the mrs is away so I had to walk home, get some tools, jump leads and the gs. Ride out there, find the problem and them leapfrog the bikes back home.
    oops! That's my theory out the window then Why did the bike stop Rob?

Vacuum fuel tap Devon. The battery isn't brilliant and went flat before I sussed out what the problem was.

so a 600 quid bmw 1100 would be better??

After a spin over to Nottingham on Saturday it was obvious that things still aren't right so off with the cylinder head and a burnt valves been found
    Worth doing i reakon as it goes well enough with a bolloxed one in apart from spitting and missing at low rpm.

are you going to 'GS' it ?

"If you knew when you were going to die, would you live your life differently?"

I made the same 'mistake' with a ZZR1100 last year, £600 start, 2 miles away, even had a you tube of it running.

No one else bid so it was mine.

Just hated it from the word go, so cheaply made.

When I sold it, I just left it outside and told the guy to stuff the money through the letterbox if he wanted it.

Buying cheap Ks this year - at least you know where you are with them !

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
    After a spin over to Nottingham on Saturday it was obvious that things still aren't right so off with the cylinder head and a burnt valves been found
    Worth doing i reakon as it goes well enough with a bolloxed one in apart from spitting and missing at low rpm.
    You are not having much luck with rhe FJ Rob. On the plus side, You are going to be pretty knowledgable about the bikes the way its going

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast