KRACOW 2012

SURMANATOR

Reaction score
Hi All, going to Kracow this yearany one know can i do it with a one night stop or will i need two? Solo GSA Not to much luggage thanks :cool:

I went to Krakow in 2009, entered Poland from Czech headed for Wraclow for nightstop and then Wraclow - Krakow in one day....

It was a helluva long day, roads in PL ain't the best but the main road EAST-WEST to Krakow is full of Trucks... slow going to say the least.

Might be all changed now but only 'motorway/Duel carraigeway' was just outside Krakow.

Watch out for cobbles and tramlines in Krakow.

Nic Nowegos is a top spot for good grub and friendly company.... Just take it easy on the Tyskies... Rocket fuel!!

Enjoy.

You can do it with a one night stop, but you'll probably be knackered and wishing you hadn't.

I met a mate out near Warsaw; I was going clock-wise around Poland, and he rode out over 2 days (on a Blackbird IIRC) to meet up at Auschwitz. Lets say he won't be doing it again. His first words to me as I walked into the hotel room were "Feckin hell - that was a mistake". :D

I went to Krakow, but caught the ferry from Harwich to Esberg in Sweden, then rode across to the port in Karlskrona IIRC and caught the over-night ferry to Gdansk in Poland. This was back in 2006 so I'm not sure if those routes are still running.

We did it last year with two stops.
Day 1 Rotterdam to Erfurt in Germany which was pretty much all autoroute arrived mid afternoon.
Day two Erfurt to Kutna Hora (Czech) again mainly motorway.
Day 3 Kuna Hora to Krakow not motoway.

Our route was @ 800 miles so doable with one stop if time is short but we wanted to stop off in both places.

I found teh roads poor once we left Kutna Hora and headed further East.

Baz

De Crowe and I went to Poland last September to attend a social event. We got the ferry from Harwich to Hoek Van Holland. We did the Hook to Berlin in one day and then did a bit of sight seeing in Berlin the next morning and then went to Auschwitz which is a stones throw from Krakow.
All our travel save around 100km through the German countryside was on motorways. It's do-able except that it's not that enjoyable to do it that way. Far better to take a few days extra and enjoy the ride.

No problem if ur in a rush,last summer i did this trip,new motorway from dresden to krakow with little or no traffic in less than five hours and no tolls so no issues on polish side.i travelled a different route but i went from mulhouse to krakow in 13 hours.i returned from lodz via poznan and made madgeburg in germany that evening.the road from poznan to the german border is real bad .Lots of truck with wheel ruts although they are building a new motor beside this old single lane road.One thing to watch is the older roads and motorways have two ruts that the trucks drive in and some toll roads will require u to pay after u use it.Enjoy!

Kracow 2012

Hi All thaks for the heads up on the trip its all booked now going to do a two night stop on the run down to Kracow stoping off at Auschwitz then a few days in Zacapone Np then treck home, any advice still very welcome ! :cool:

I went to Auschwitz last year on my way back from Chernobyl. I would not put it on my list of favourite places but it is a place that should be visited 'lest we forget'. Contrary to popular beliefe the birds do sing around the camp, but my God its a depressing place. Our guide was in her 70's and her father in law was a prisoner there. She was one of the most noble people that I have ever met. I can't say have a nice time because its not that sort of place but do allow yourself plenty of time. I suspect that you will need a beer afterwards. Enjoy your trip.

I'm having a flying visit to Kracow for a couple of days in March, should be interesting.:eek

Hi All thaks for the heads up on the trip its all booked now going to do a two night stop on the run down to Kracow stoping off at Auschwitz then a few days in Zacapone Np then treck home, any advice still very welcome ! :cool:

Dont bother with Zacopane. The Roads are not particularly interesting to ride. Cheap accomodation and food though.

Dont think I'd bother taking the Bike to Poland again easier to fly. Head South from Prague into Southern Czech.

Dont bother with Zacopane. The Roads are not particularly interesting to ride. Cheap accomodation and food though.

Dont think I'd bother taking the Bike to Poland again easier to fly. Head South from Prague into Southern Czech.

And avoid Bielsko Biala.. armpit of Poland ;)

Roads to Zacopane may not be the best, BUT you can get the cable cars into the mountains some crackin walks and views, spent 4-5 days there a few years ago and had a superb time:thumb

And avoid Bielsko Biala.. armpit of Poland ;)

That's ungenerous. There are some good walks and rides around BB, especially into the nearby hills. The new road network will have been completed by now so making it easily navigable.

But hey, you're in Zywiec country! :beerjug:

You can do London to Cracow with one night stop, but you'd be pushing it, if you had time take two nights. As others have said, travelling time gets slow and hard-going on Polish roads. Even major routes in the south are rutted single carriageways.

I take the route to Nuremberg, then through Czech Republic to Cracow.

That's ungenerous. There are some good walks and rides around BB, especially into the nearby hills. The new road network will have been completed by now so making it easily navigable.

The roads were the problem when I passed through, or tried to.... the sat nav was trying to put me on a flyover that stopped in mid air... either it had fell down or never finished.... we had a right job heading west out of there :rob

Got to be better now, can't get any worse :D

I travelled to the Ukraine in 2010...and to get there I travelled past Kracow...

...I travelled through France, then Germany, leaving via Gorlitz, then picking up the E40 which runs right down to Kracow.

As I remember the E40 was a fast road, it was only going past Kracow that the traffic ground to a halt on single carriageway roads! :blast

I think you could do Kracow with one overnighter....but I think you'd be getting there late and knackered!....two is more realistic to be honest.

:thumb2

Hi All, going to Kracow this yearany one know can i do it with a one night stop or will i need two? Solo GSA Not to much luggage thanks :cool:

We went last year and liked it enough to go back again this year (May) to take in Salt mines, Auschwitz. We're taking 4 days to get there (!) but our outward route is 1100 miles+ and takes in some nice or interesting places and roads. I'm a big fan of the 250-300 mile day and hate doing more than 2-3 hours on motorways in any day. However, Krakow is perfectly possible with 1 or, preferably, 2 overnight stops.

Agree with some of the comments re Zakopane: roads disappointing but nice enough place and lovely surrounding area. I like Poland but wouldn't expect the sort of roads you'd find in France. However, nice people, good food and beer at much better prices than the Eurozone.

Sorry if this is a hi-jack but can anyone suggest somewhere interesting to stay between Krakow and Gdansk?

... Sorry if this is a hi-jack but can anyone suggest somewhere interesting to stay between Krakow and Gdansk?
Stuttof concentration camp? Malbork Castle? The Wolfs Lair? Warsaw? :nenau

I wish I'd spent 3 or 4 days in Warsaw; it had far more character than I'd been lead to believe. :thumb2

Stuttof concentration camp? Malbork Castle? The Wolfs Lair? Warsaw? :nenau

I wish I'd spent 3 or 4 days in Warsaw; it had far more character than I'd been lead to believe. :thumb2

We have pretty much ruled out Warsaw as we have quite a few city overnighters on the trip already. The others would be too far North to break the journey although we will be visiting Malbork Castle en route to Gdansk. :thumb

Hi SURMANATOR
When are you going to do the trip? I live in Guildford and 12/05 I'm starting my Georgia trip. Riding to Poland (night stop in Germany - Amberg) then Wroclaw to visit my family and then Czech - Slovakia - Hungary...

Hi SURMANATOR
When are you going to do the trip? I live in Guildford and 12/05 I'm starting my Georgia trip. Riding to Poland (night stop in Germany - Amberg) then Wroclaw to visit my family and then Czech - Slovakia - Hungary...

remember we're doing it together :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom