why so many new ones for sale

Ah well, perhaps I should have looked around a bit first, although I'm not convinced I'd have got a new one for much less than 10K.
I suppose I could have met that price if I'd managed to find one- and maybe a white one, but I didn't do too bad.
I ended up paying £7999, and there were potential buyers waiting to have it if I declined.
The dealer wouldn't shift on the price, but threw in a 6000 mile service (not a big deal I suppose) a gel seat conversion, 2 years warranty, knocked £30 of a set of heated grips - incl fitting, and as many cups of tea as I could drink.
If I'm honest, I didn't want a new (expensive) bike because I already have 2 lovely Norton rotaries to keep it company, and they are the love of my bike life.
I'm looking forward to buggering about with the S10, and I think this type of bike lends itself to "improvement" better than some of the alternatives.
The S10 has pretty conventional wiring, which to my mind is better than the Can-bus set up.
Sadly (or maybe not) I've heard that the S10 will have Yamaha's version of the Can-bus system within 12 months.
John.

Well with the prices realisitc now i cant see them coming down any further, i susspect when the sun comes out they may well go up or firm up at least.
The S10 is very under rated and is not featured in many tests i have read in the uk press, now the Aus and SA mags love them along with the yanks now they finally have them, east europeans too. Front runners for smoking them about and farkleling are the Oz guys, some of the vids are eye openers.
So Aus/EU/SA and USA dudes are bollockin about on these and no one has broken one, also they are getting hard use some of these countrys are not big on tarmac.
I sat through 2 hours of a Nick Sanders chat last night and he admits his sponsers do not expect him to slag off their kit but he said he can genuinly say the R1 and especialy the S10 are ultra reliable with the S10 doing 51K with minimal servicing cos it didnt need it (his words) he also said he has to be very careful which bike to use for these record braking pursuits as if he fails he fails on many levels eg, no coin, sponsors may ask for it back ! his reputation and that of the manufacturer can be severely damaged. So bottom line he needs a bike that will not let him down ! he leant this the hard way years ago with Royal Enfield :eek:
The S10 is not perfect but it is a tough bike that goes and handles well, with reasonable fuel range, comfort and it will go offroad no problem. The engine is gruff and can be vibey (270 deg crank so designed in character :nenau), its also no fireball (wrong type of bike, prick journo's) suspension is very good quality and you have smart ABS/TC and two power modes.
For me reliability is tops, its not just that, its a comfort thing, i want to feel comfortable i can jump on that hoss and ride where ever i like and it will not let me down either in or out of warranty.
S10 is currently a sleeper, not much press here have bothered with them and continue not to (good) but they are slowly appealing to the guys looking to move to adventure bikes/tall rounders (growth market) and 51k of hard riding virtually none stop is not to be sniffed at.
I suspect they will end up like the KTM ADV (got a few issues itself) a small share of the market but with a dedicated following who will overlook any failings (theres not many)
I really hope mine is a keeper :clap
Well put, and the thread by "WASP" on the "Beasts" section of Adventure Rider is bloody brilliant. Helped to suck me into the S10 thing.
I'd heard that the Sanders bike has now done 75k miles
John

im looking at the moment ,but im after one with black side panels ,theres a cheap(ish one in derby ,but its got silver side panels ,allthough im struglling to find a cheap one

If the price is right, it might be worth having, and maybe getting some black side-panels at a later date. Maybe someone might do a swap at some stage?
The one I'm having has black panels, but I think that maybe silver is better?
The black looks good, and the silver looks good!
If you don't mind my asking, what are they asking?
Keep looking.

Age does not come alone.........

Some bikes, cars and motorhomes come on the market because of age related issues.
I have a 2011 XJR1300 with only 78 miles on the clock in the garage belonging to a friend who had health problems.
Picked up his new bike at the dealer and next week couldn't ride it.
RRP £9,339 happy to accept £6,399.

Take your lump sum as soon as possible and spend it.....you never know.

:beerjug:

Attachments

• Preloved.jpg
    Preloved.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 401
  • S5004510.jpg
    S5004510.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 398
Made an offer of £7800 on the 2011 demo model with 1000miles on the clock at MOTT yamaha dealers in Basingstoke and salesman just walked away without saying a further word ! Told you Tobers...I need your negoitating skills ! However, I still think they could do with more training on customer facing skills too . A sale is a sale, but not to them it seems. I wonder how they intend to hold on to old stock if their sales are down overall. Oh well...here's to hoping ! :confused:

Looks like a fair few of last years ex-dems are still stuck on the shelf.

I tried to do a deal on Whites ex-dem, but the guy told me they could not shift a penny from the asking (£10,500 for a first edition) as they would "lose money", the problem was they had been doing new ones cheaper with the Yamaha discount, they wanted as much for a 2010 with 6k on the clock as I could have got a 2011 with about 200 miles on it elsewhere.

Tried to do a deal of my GS +cash for Frank's Tenere, but he decided on a twin cam GS.

I am waiting for some proper second hand machines to appear, at £7800 for a low miler I would take it right away, hoping come spring a few genuine used ones will come along.

I am also wondering what Yamaha will price them at for the coming season?

BMW are currently knocking a grand of a new GS which I assume is down to the economic climate, and as I could swap all my luggage, suspension and other bits over I very briefly considered a new one before sense prevailed (It will still lose another £2k as I wheel it out the showroom)

Tempted to flog my GS and bits and go shopping with cash in the summer, gonna be a buyers market

Well, there's one less for sale today as I put a deposit on this, p-exing the R1150GS
dscf1849%20640x480.jpg

Collect it Tuesday.

Yes, the dealers are in a pickle with their demo bikes as they paid too much for them and now can't offload them for anything under 10k. Bummer being a dealer in that situation, but I've heard the same from 4 of them who have nice demo bikes sitting there.

A good search and ring-around could well yield results though, so worth putting some time in on the phone.

Yes, the dealers are in a pickle with their demo bikes as they paid too much for them and now can't offload them for anything under 10k. Bummer being a dealer in that situation, but I've heard the same from 4 of them who have nice demo bikes sitting there.

A good search and ring-around could well yield results though, so worth putting some time in on the phone.

As the RRP has been reduced to £12k they will have to bite the bullet and lower their expectations. I'd think twice about a used price over 10k for an ex-demo bike unless it was on 0 miles.

The one I've bought is a year old with 900 miles on it, registered to a dealer in Brands Hatch and repossessed by Yamaha as it wasn't paid for. I guess Yamaha took the depreciation hit before they offloaded it to South Wales Superbikes. Sticker price was £9999 but I got a decent p-ex price on the R-GS so I was happy with the deal.

Congrats Wessie, you wil love it. I have had mine for almost a year and still get a buzz when riding it.

Have now started down the long (and expensive) road of customisation and accessories.

Google suggests it will be 10C and sunny down your neck of the woods tomorrow. Almost t-shirt weather !

Rod

Congrats on the bike Wessie:thumb2. You will love the bike and with 900 miles on the clock it has been run in for you and the 600 mile service is out of the way. Did you get extras on it (apart from the panniers) ? Not much sleep tonight then!

Keith

Congrats on the bike Wessie:thumb2. You will love the bike and with 900 miles on the clock it has been run in for you and the 600 mile service is out of the way. Did you get extras on it (apart from the panniers) ? Not much sleep tonight then!

Keith

No other extras, apart from the optimate fly lead

It will be interesting to see if my Tucano Urbano muffs will fit as there aren't any heated grips like on the R-GS. Is there a preferred after market heated grip kit as the Yamaha ones for £300 are taking the piss?

Sleep won't be a problem as I have a bottle of 2002 Gran Reserva at 13%. Should be sober by 1pm when I set off with the R-GS for the last time...

I had tdm900 heated grips fitted (part of the deal). They are a lot cheaper than the S10 ones but work a treat and look the part :thumb2

Well, come on Wessie, let's have your first impressions.

How bad is the fork dive?
What did you switch on when you wanted to signal "right"?
Can you touch the floor with both feet flat?
Does it really feel light compared with a GS as stated by WASP in Oz?

Well, come on Wessie, let's have your first impressions.

How bad is the fork dive?

see below
What did you switch on when you wanted to signal "right"?
see below, nothing :)
Can you touch the floor with both feet flat?
almost
Does it really feel light compared with a GS as stated by WASP in Oz?
yes

I posted this on UKRM:

I like it.

Things have moved on a bit since the R-GS was made in 2000.

Engine: impressed. Plenty of go for sure. Sit at 4000 revs in top,
indicated 80mph and it pulls really well to squirt past traffic and then
continues to accelerate well past the ton on the private test track
where I rode it. Yet to explore the upper reaches of the rev range.
Handbook suggests another 500 miles before that is done.

Aerodynamics: huge improvement compared to the R-GS. Wind blast is
slight in comparison and the half fairing works well. Feet get colder as
there are no cylinders to keep them warm. I guess the aftermarket
screens must be aimed at taller people as the standard screen works well
for me.

Suspension/brakes: seem to work well. Front brake is excellent. I like
the way it is linked to the rear: you can feel the rear squat if you
give the front lever a good tug. I assume this is the reason why there
isn't much fork dive. Unlike some systems, the rear brake lever doesn't
operate the front pistons, which is good IMV.

Luggage: simple single key operation. I forgot to check if they are wide
enough to fit a helmet.

Tyres: OE Bridgestone Battlewings seemed to grip well on the mix of A, B
& single track roads I covered today.

Gizmos: I think the TCS activated on one greasy roundabout, otherwise I
didn't use them apart from flipping from mpg to ambient temp. Buttons
are a bit of a stretch to use whilst on the move.

Ergonomics: mostly good. Seating position feels right. Peg position
seems good. I even relearnt the Jap indicator switch pretty quickly.
Rear brake pedal doesn't seem to be in the right place. I will try to
fiddle with it but won't be using it much anyway apart from the odd hill
start. Seat is made of a grippy material so you don't slide forward when
wearing winter trousers <likes>. Main-stand is not as well engineered as
the R-GS but quite easy to use. Side stand is not nice to use.

Gripes: the bar muffs I have don't fit on the throttle side as the cable
housing prevents it sliding over the switchgear. Perfect fit on the
other side. Biggest gripe is the aforementioned, poorly designed side
stand. Once it's down it work fine, holding the bike at a decent angle.
However, the tang you are supposed to flick is forward of the foot peg
and too high up the shaft. Therefore, you don't have enough leverage to
get the stand down. You end up moving your foot behind the footpeg and
trying to operate the stand without catching your shin or calf on the
footpeg. I may have to engineer a bodge.

Supposedly a decent weekend of weather coming up, so I will venture into
the Brecon Beacons to play some more.

Back
Top Bottom