Slovakia and Hungary - okay for family?

Monsieur

Most respected and loved member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got the chance to take wife and 3 children to a villa close to the danube on border of Hungary/Slovakia.

Used to the safety of Spain/France/Italy so the lure of eastern europe is tempered somewhat by my insecurity.

I'm 90% convinced I should go - still 10% unsure :nenau

As well as the villa the plan is to hire a car and take day trips to Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest.

Any advice would be great :thumb2

I would have thought you would be in greater danger on a holiday in London, certainly the bits round by the Ace Cafe which is one of the crappyist parts of London.

Whereabout exactly?

Whereabout exactly, if I may ask? Hungary or Slovakia? And when?

There is long historical friction between Slovaks and Hungarians, as some of the Slovak vilages have big Hungarian community...
That being said, as visitor there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. As this area is not yet a spoiled destination, Western visitors are rare and have good reputation. British better than Germans.
I dont know that much about Hungarians, but Slavic people are honest and friendly and if you don't look for trouble, you dont find one.

There are numerous nature sights that are worth viewing. Should you wish to make a trip, my personal recommendation is :blagblah:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_Paradise
It is a natinal park full of gorges and waterfalls. As the tracks include climbing ladders or going trough a fairy tale gorges, kids would just love it.

Whereabout exactly, if I may ask? Hungary or Slovakia? And when?

Somewhere close to Dunasziget and would probably be looking at April as children have exams in June and summer holiday already booked elsewhere

Visit Eger, it's truly beautiful and also Tihany on Lake Balaton

Wot he said...!! both fantastic. Can also recommend Balatonfured on Lake Balaton.

Hungary & Slovakia are on my top destinations.

If time permits have a gander at Trencin in Western SK close to the CZ border.

Enjoy...
J

Go!

We travelled Austria, Hungary, Slovenia & Slovakia last May. Wonderful area, Quiet roads outside the cities. Friendly local bikers. Local people great. It can get very warm! 40c + last May.

slovakia

Watch (Hostel) and avoid Bratislava its a shit....:) I know, Im from Slovakia, the very nice city is Banska Bystrica, its in the valey surrounded by mountains and the town square has lots of pubs with beer gardens so you can have a pint and watch the world go by, I can garantie you that you will have a sore neck after 2. pint, its a university city full of good looking talent, just don't tell you mrs :). Im certain you will have a great time where ever you go. If you or anybody else need a info first hand, drop me a pm and i can send you my number and chat about it.
Best of luck
MARK
:beerjug:

QUOTE=Monsieur;2998918]I've got the chance to take wife and 3 children to a villa close to the danube on border of Hungary/Slovakia.

Used to the safety of Spain/France/Italy so the lure of eastern europe is tempered somewhat by my insecurity.

As well as the villa the plan is to hire a car and take day trips to Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest.

Any advice would be great :thumb2[/QUOTE]

slovakia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banská_Bystrica

Watch (Hostel) and avoid Bratislava its a shit....:) I know, Im from Slovakia, the very nice city is Banska Bystrica, its in the valey surrounded by mountains and the town square has lots of pubs with beer gardens so you can have a pint and watch the world go by, I can garantie you that you will have a sore neck after 2. pint, its a university city full of good looking talent, just don't tell you mrs :). Im certain you will have a great time where ever you go. If you or anybody else need a info first hand, drop me a pm and i can send you my number and chat about it.
Best of luck
MARK
:beerjug:

QUOTE=Monsieur;2998918]I've got the chance to take wife and 3 children to a villa close to the danube on border of Hungary/Slovakia.

[/QUOTE]

Picking up on this old thread, cos next Sept (2013) I have the opportunity to join a group doing a tour de cols starting in south west Hungary, taking in Slovenia and ending in North east Italy. The organisers are planning on a 7 day trip of roughly 200 miles a day, but indicate it's going to be 9 hrs in the saddle everyday due to the routes they are planning. I have some questions as I don't know this part of the world at all. What are the roads like? especially in the mountain areas. Are they a good mettled surface /dirt/gravel/?? are they continually twisty? is it tiring riding? I'm hesitant because I'm not 100%fit, I'm not young anymore,(62) and poor road surfaces over long time/distance may not be sensible. Any usefull background info, hints, tips, advice would be welcome.

I've got the chance to take wife and 3 children to a villa close to the danube on border of Hungary/Slovakia.

Hungary is a top destination, been going for years now Budapest is wonderful, Gyor and Balaton are great and the people are just like the rest of us.

Picking up on this old thread, cos next Sept (2013) I have the opportunity to join a group doing a tour de cols starting in south west Hungary, taking in Slovenia and ending in North east Italy. The organisers are planning on a 7 day trip of roughly 200 miles a day, but indicate it's going to be 9 hrs in the saddle everyday due to the routes they are planning. I have some questions as I don't know this part of the world at all. What are the roads like? especially in the mountain areas. Are they a good mettled surface /dirt/gravel/?? are they continually twisty? is it tiring riding? I'm hesitant because I'm not 100%fit, I'm not young anymore,(62) and poor road surfaces over long time/distance may not be sensible. Any usefull background info, hints, tips, advice would be welcome.

Time was when intrepid explorers sailed off in leaking tubs, fearing that they would fall off the edge of the world to die. Now, adventure riding motorcyclists on modern machines worry about the roads :D

Come on, you are a grown-up, (possibly) retired, living in France, having all day (and about nine months) before going on a jaunt organised by someone. Starting by asking THEM what THEY know (or even imagine) it will be like, would seem sensible, would it not?

Then arm yourself with a couple of decent maps, look at the legend and see where it is you will probably be going. It should be quite easy to imagine the roads, just from the colours and the squiggly (or straight) shapes they are shown in. If you are not sure, then ASK the organiser. If the bod really is planning on going up every dirt track day after day for 200 miles a day, then he should tell you, should he not?

What will you do otherwise? Hear from fellows here that the roads are "Great, mate" and then discover that the organiser is some sort of wild camping, never use tarmac, hedgehog-in-pocket, loony? It's your holiday, self-help is often the most reliable.

PS If it really is nine hours in the saddle PLUS 'x' number of accumulated hours stopped for pictures, tea, lunch.... That suggests a MAYBE 12 to thirteen hour day. Nine spent riding, plus say three or four, not moving forward. I could guess that the organiser means it's 200 miles a day, covered in nine hours between leaving your hotel in the morning and arriving at another. That could well be reasonable on many types of roads, twisty, straight, scenic.... but probably not goat tracks. But, asking will remove my wild guess out of the equation.

If you really do not want to do (possibly) twisty, but near enough metalled roads, for seven days, that is no great dishonour. It's a holiday for you, not an endurance event. The bod should put your mind at rest, one way or another, that's for certain.

PPS When and if you do meet up and he's riding a stripped down KTM with two spare tyres..... Or even an R1 with aftermarket plastic, a race can and very sticky tyres......Suspect that he's not told you the entire truth :beerjug:

Thanks for that Wapping, I take it from that diatribe that perhaps like me you have never been there, so can't offer anything useful. Not all of this parish are riding up and down unmade roads all day, or being what is called 'adventure riders'. I just happen to own a BMW GS, because it happens to be a damn good bike and I go touring because I have a physical handicap that prevents me from doing otherwise.

Time was when forums could offer something useful from experienced members, now all you get is sneering remarks wrapped up in what posters call 'humour'.

Charles Dickens was dead right, people who make the broadest statements have the narrowest minds.

Thanks for that Wapping, I take it from that diatribe that perhaps like me you have never been there, so can't offer anything useful. Not all of this parish are riding up and down unmade roads all day, or being what is called 'adventure riders'. I just happen to own a BMW GS, because it happens to be a damn good bike and I go touring because I have a physical handicap that prevents me from doing otherwise.

Time was when forums could offer something useful from experienced members, now all you get is sneering remarks wrapped up in what posters call 'humour'.

Charles Dickens was dead right, people who make the broadest statements have the narrowest minds.

I think you're being a wee bit sensitive aren't you. Wapping took time to write quite a long reply and made a lot of straight forward and valid points - the most sensible one being ask the organisers. They have planned the route and they can therefore answer your question.

FWIW I've ridden over there and the roads are variable, from shiny new super smooth to pot holed knackered things but I came across nothing that I would call challenging. If they are planning on 200 miles a day over 9 hours it sounds pretty relaxed riding to me?

Andres

The worst that could happen!

just have it, what's the worst that could happen

:thumb2
On such a trip, the absolute worst that could happen is that, on the part of your trip into Austria, you get stopped on the Autobahn without a "Maut" ( Austrian Motorway pass.)
Buy a 10 day one at a kiosk or shop near the start of the motorway, dirt cheap, and proceed with the righteous.
Myke

Back
Top Bottom