Any vertically challenged owners?

N1Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a lowered 1200 GS (the one for the short arxxs) I have a 29'' inside leg and the bike is great. But like everything ''You may like the one you have, but it doesn't stop you looking'' I keep sneaking over into the Yamaha section and reading all this good comments, no moaning (or not much so far) So are there any vertically challenged S10 owners? Or if not what are your thoughts before I start trawling the dealers for a look. Yes I know you can get anything lowered, but it would be nice to think that perhaps the vertically challenged had been considered.
Yours in anticipation.:thumb2

I've had a couple of 1200 GS's , and quite a few 1150's including a GSA.

The S10 is no taller than a standard 1200. In fact when I had a ride round on one last year it felt a little lower for my little legs ( just under 30")

Just head down to a Yamaha dealer and sling your leg over :thumb

I'm 29 and a half, and have no trouble.
I had a 1200GS last, and one problem I found was getting the bike off the side stand- especially with a full tank.
The S10 doesn't lean over so much, and is not as top heavy as the GS.

Thanks for the replies. It is always reassuring when you get actual owners experiences rather than just looking at specs for a bike. The seat height can mean nothing if the seat is the wrong shape and pushes your legs out.
Once again many thanks for the replies.

Best to get as much info as you can, but a test ride is the only answer.
To be honest, I struggled in the dealership with the slightly unhelpful salesman watching, to get the S10 comfortably off the side-stand, and failed to get it on the centre stand.
I worried that the bike would be somehow difficult to ride, but in the event the test ride was a revelation. And I managed the c/stand no trouble at all.
Get a test ride!
I wouldn't mind a softer seat though.

Best to get as much info as you can, but a test ride is the only answer.
To be honest, I struggled in the dealership with the slightly unhelpful salesman watching, to get the S10 comfortably off the side-stand, and failed to get it on the centre stand.
I worried that the bike would be somehow difficult to ride, but in the event the test ride was a revelation. And I managed the c/stand no trouble at all.
Get a test ride!
I wouldn't mind a softer seat though.

You get used to the seat very quickly and its very comfy;)

I have to agree with Streaky on this one. My ancient backside normally has trouble with seats and I am quite often twitching around on most bikes after less than 100 miles. I then end up getting a gel seat (last one was on a Tiger 1050) or getting the seat altered by Tony Archer (does a good job and has a website). However, with the S10 I have had no such trouble and while it looks and feels rock hard I haven't become uncomfortable as yet. Maybe it has something to do with the roomy riding position (and I'm 6ft 4 ). Everybody's different.:thumb2

It's got a gel insert, and it's still hard!
I think it is the norm these days to have rock hard seats, on most bikes.
I probably need to eat a lot more chips.

Nothing to do with chips I weight 12st soaking wet:D It is comfy:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom