Croatia Coast Road

Moses

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How hilly is the coast road from Debrovnik to Split,my wife does not do mountains,my shoulder has not recovered from crossing the Alps two years ago. I am concidering Croatia as an alternative to Greece due to the rise in ferry prices.

Many Thanks

I think there's a ride report on here that includes that road......

I've never done it, but my memory says that from that RR, it's gorgeous, twisty and beautiful......It's on my mental wish list of areas to explore for sure :thumb2

Have a dig through the RR section and you may well find it :thumb

EDIT.....Oh, and Google maps/Google earth could be a great resource to see for yourself........good sat photos and 3d-drive throughs as well

coast road.

couple of years ago i rode from dubrvnik to split then cut inland to slovenia.
the coast road is not mountainous. after all it follows the coast!
it is stunning, it gets so close to the sea in places, we parked the bikes, quick change, and had a swim to cool down.
we went in september, believe it can be busy(and hot) in july and august.
highly reccomended.

How hilly is the coast road from Debrovnik to Split,my wife does not do mountains,my shoulder has not recovered from crossing the Alps two years ago. I am concidering Croatia as an alternative to Greece due to the rise in ferry prices

wirral to croatia some recommends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
had a bimble down to croatia,these are some of the places we stayed in, all recomended. j

1.the dog house wail about one hour from the chunnel.
2.two wheel moorings at dun sur meuse.
3.pension williams near the b500 black forest.
4.hotel veronica in kocevje slovenia very friendly and large portions of food.
5.jakirusa.com.in brela croatia.excellent place right on the side of the adriatic.the best.36.5 degrees too feckin hot.

most of you probably already know these,but might help if someone is planning a trip.if you need any more info get in touch. j

the roads are great heres where we stayed,been the last 2 years. j

Croatia coast road is marvellous. Look out for speed traps though.

Have a pic or 4.

073.jpg

064-1.jpg

059.jpg

058-2.jpg

Like most coast roads it can be busy and lots of speed limits so can take longer than you think, we rode north from Trogir/Split up to Slovenia, plan was to use coast road all the way but had to jump on the motorway to make up some time.

Teejay

My wife and I love the Eastern European countries and our drive last year along the length of the Croatian coast was the highlight of many holidays.

I have posted a short GoPro video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-UXVzN748.

The road is very high quality with mountains on one side a Adriatic islands on the other. It can get a little crowded but even in August we had no real traffic problems. We stayed a few days on a huge beach camping/caravan site at Omis which allowed us to get a bus into Split and sightseeing without having to take the bikes or riding gear. A day spent riding inland from Omis was an interesting diversion. Great riding country and a few miles from the coast leaves all traces of tourism behind. We even found a village bar where the word "beer" was not understood until I pointed to the bottles.

The road gets less touristy the further south you drive and the views get better One small potential problem is where the road, unavoidably, goes through Bosnia. We could find nowhere to buy any Bosnia insurance. As Dubrovik approaches its back to tourism with cruise ships and resort hotels but well worth the visit. We found a small hotel in a bay a few miles north of Dubrovnik and got a bus into town. As with Split that was much better than taking the bikes but we did discover it was a VERY hot walk from the bus terminal, over a small hill, to the old town.

PS

My wife is 62, has only been riding for a couple of years and did this trip on a brand new GS. She does not do mountains unless she has to and dropped her bike on Stelvio and Vrisic passes. She loved the Croatian coast road as it neither goes up and down much and does not have any hairpains.

Our trip over 18 days worked well as follows;

Early channel crossing to Calais then Belgium, Holland and Germany with a night stop in hotel near Karlruhe. Continue south to Munich for a look round the BMW museum (worth the diversion and they even gave us the old gits price on production of our UK bus passes).

On to Salzberg for a night stop on a great campsite as I had knackered my rear tyre. New tyre fitted by BMW dealer (much cheaper than UK) and on to Vrisic Pass and into Slovenia. If you like mountains Vrisic Pass is a must. We were going that way anyway but the BMW dealer in Slazberg said it was the only way to Slovenia on a bike.

Stayed on campsite in Triglav National Park and visited Ljubljana. Lovely small capital and worth the diversion.

Continued south visiting the amazing Postojna Caves and Predjama Castle. They are quite close together and a ticket can be bought to cover both. Nice restaurant by the castle for lunch.

Aimed bikes at Rijeka in Croatia staying the night in a small hotel in Slovenia. Long queues at Slovenia/Croatia border, glad we were on bikes. Then on toll road to coast. Did not think much of Rijeka so went on south following coast. Great views but very slow with heavy traffic so turned inland for toll motorway to Split. Followed coast again south of Split looking for campsite. Lots of sites about the size of our small garden but eventually stayed at a huge site in Omis.

Omis site was right on beach with bar, restaurant and great facilities. For us the downside was you rented a marked pitch big enough for a couple of caravans at a fixed price. OK if you had two caravans but a little pricey for two bikes and a backpacking tent. Good location though, walking distance from a tourist town with some decent restaurants and a good bus service to Split.

Its worth spending a day in Split and we stayed on the Omis site for a couple of days so we could explore inland. Then continued on the amazing coast road to Dubrovnik.

Dubrovnik is a major tourist destination so hotels were pricey and we could not find a campsite but eventually stopped at a great little hotel a few miles north for a couple of nights at about 45 Euros a night.

After a hot day in Dubrovnik turned back north and then crossed into Bosnia and drove north to Mostar (buy insurance at border). No campsite near Mostar and those we found some distance away (including Camping Wimbledon!) looked pretty ropey so decided on hotel. Tried a few before finding a room but it was a great room in a very friendly hotel about 5 minutes from the famous bridge at 50 Euros.

Mostar was worth the visit but, for us, an afternoon walk around plus an evening on a great restaurant terrace overlooking the bridge was enough so next day continued north aiming for Jajce waterfalls. we found the waterfalls disappointing but the drive was great over deserted roads. We continued north aiming for Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia.

Next night spent on the National Park campsite. Huge site with good facilities including good restaurant. The Park is a collection of lakes and waterfalls with a range of marked trails. We were there on a Saturday and it was very busy but a lovely place to visit.

Continued north to a campsite near Maribor at a winter ski centre. Nice little site but it was Sunday and we found Slovenia closes on Sunday. The town was dead and it took us ages to find a restaurant open for dinner.

We were now just driving home and decided to stop at the Salzburg campsite again but it poured with rain all day and we were soaked so found a hotel. As with Dubrovnik the hotels in Salzburg are expensive but we eventual found a great one at about 80 Euros.

After a day in Salzburg we spent the next two nights in small hotels in Germany on way to Calais and then home.

We never book hotels or campsites before a trip as we like to be able to change our trips on the fly. We either use the great Archies Camping Garmin database for campsites or just pass hotels/guest houses that look OK or use booking.com on our iPhone once we have an idea where we will be. We never have any major problems although it took us a little while to find a room in Mostar and something that did not need a mortgage in Salzburg.

I have not given details of any of the hotels as for us part of the fun of traveling is finding hotels and campsites and over the years we have stumbled on some great hotels and spent some memorable nights with locals and hotel owners. I think in the last seven years I have only found one hotel I would not go back to and that was the hotel in Lille this year that looked good on booking.com but was in a very poor area surrounded by drunks, vagrants and rubbish including piles of smelly mattressess. We found another hotel Lille but it is now one of those rare towns I would never bother to go back to. Some positive memories of this trip include.

The small roadside hotel in Slovenia where the owner moved his car from a garage so we could park the bikes. In Dubrovnik hotel we could sit by the Adriatic having a beer before a meal on the hotel terrace.

In Mostar the owner would not charge us for drinks as there was some power drill noise during the afternoon - although we said we were out at the time anyway. After one night the owner and his family all came out to shake our hands and wave us on our way.

In Salzberg the owner was much more interested in getting two wet bikers into a room so we could get dry than bothering about things like check in.

Back through Germany and one night in a lovely small village hotel where the owner moved her car out the garage for the bikes, phoned the chef to come back to prepare dinner and spent the evening chatting and drinking with us. Then the next night near Ramstein drinking with the owner while we watched the UK riots on the TV.

All navigation was by Garmin and MacBook. It's years since we have bothered with paper maps and the only small problem we had was Dubrovnik to Mostar. I had not noticed that I had missed transferring a tiny map section of the Croatian coast onto the Garmin so it wanted to go a crazy way. No real problem as it was an obvious route anyway but I just used the Nav program on my iPhone instead.

Traffic!!!!!!!!!

How hilly is the coast road from Debrovnik to Split ... I am concidering Croatia as an alternative to Greece due to the rise in ferry prices.

I travelled this road last August/September. Everyone has different experiences....mine were:

1. Croatia is a bloody expensive part of the world. Far, far more touristy than I was expecting. When I was there every second accent was English, every 4th car had a UK plate and most restaurants advertised 'British' fish and chips.
2. A few hills, but none really a problem.
3. The traffic ... the days I was on the road, traffic congestion was terrible. And I mean b-a-d. Wouldn't have wanted to be in a car. Average speed was around 30mph.
4. The tourism industry felt a tad jaded and tired. Maybe because I was there at the end'ish of the season.

Is it worth a bucket list tick. IMHO ... no. Serbia, Romania, etc, are far cheaper, more scenic, more hospitable, more open to tourism. But, no beaches in those countries.

Cheers

1. Croatia is a bloody expensive part of the world. Far, far more touristy than I was expecting. When I was there every second accent was English, every 4th car had a UK plate and most restaurants advertised 'British' fish and chips.
2. A few hills, but none really a problem.
3. The traffic ... the days I was on the road, traffic congestion was terrible. And I mean b-a-d. Wouldn't have wanted to be in a car. Average speed was around 30mph.
4. The tourism industry felt a tad jaded and tired. Maybe because I was there at the end'ish of the season.

Not our experience in August 2011.

1.Very touristy in parts but for Adriatic coast it is to be expected. get 2 miles away from the coast and it is a different world. The "tourist" town of Split is really worth visit with the historic Diocletian's Palace and Dubrovnik's old town is wonderful. Get away from the tourist streets and its a different age. Away from the coast the Plitvice National Park was a worthwhile trip and although we were there on a Sunday in August and it was very busy it was still a great day out.

We never found it particularly expensive. We had a good hotel room right on the beach near Dubrovnik for 50 Euros for two inc. breakfast. As this is a major tourist destination we thought it very reasonable. Meals out cost less than the same in Germany and Austria. Our campsite near Omis, a very touristy town was a little pricey for our little backpacking tent but that was only because they charged by marked pitches. Some Brits we met with a large caravan and two cars had the same priced pitch so for them it was cheap. This was for a site on a wonderful sand beach with a bar and restaurant, sports facilities, shops etc. and cost a lot less than we paid on a similar site in Hungary the previous year. The campsite on the Plitvice National Park cost us 18 Euros. This site also had great facilities with a bar, good quality and reasonably priced restaurant, shop and cafe plus free wi-fi.

The only Brits we came across in August were from the cruise ships in Dubrovnik and the family on the Omis campsite. Even so we found a lot of English spoken and most places had menus etc. in English because it is the major second language for most European visitors who are unlikely to speak the local lingo. Can't ever remember a fish and chip shop but found a great seafood restaurant in Split.

3. After travelling the length of the Adriatic coast the ONLY heavy traffic we found was a. crossing the border from Slovenia, b. in Rijeka (crap town anyway and the major problem was a very old Polish camper van). c. leaving Split and d, crossing back into Slovenia. Only the last was a real problem but remember this is a crossing in to the EU and as most EU countries subscribe to the Schengen open border agreement I was quite happy to see the Slovenians were taking there obligations seriously. For the rest of the time we cruised along clear roads with great weather and wonderful views.

The video linked on post above shows the typical traffic we found and the link below to my Picasa page has some stills from the trip.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100667480654115980751/EastEurope2011

We loved our earlier trips to Romania, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Hungary but intend to go back to Croatia and Slovenia as soon as we can. Unfortunately in my job the bloody Olympics means I can't get holiday during the summer (the only time my wife can) so the planned routes will stay on Basecamp for another year.

Hi Andy - could you tell me the make of tarp you are using in your photo (Maribor campsite)?

Cheers
Steve

Tarp is a Coleman. It cost £30.00 in Argos a couple of years back. It's great for keeping the sun off (which was the main reason for buying it) and OK for rain and provides a really big covered space for the price. Packs up small but the large diameter fibre glass pole is quite heavy and the supplied pegs are crap.

How hilly is the coast road from Debrovnik to Split,my wife does not do mountains,my shoulder has not recovered from crossing the Alps two years ago. I am concidering Croatia as an alternative to Greece due to the rise in ferry prices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
had a bimble down to croatia,these are some of the places we stayed in, all recomended. j

1.the dog house wail about one hour from the chunnel.
2.two wheel moorings at dun sur meuse.
3.pension williams near the b500 black forest.
4.hotel veronica in kocevje slovenia very friendly and large portions of food.
5.jakirusa.com.in brela croatia.excellent place right on the side of the adriatic.the best.36.5 degrees too feckin hot.

most of you probably already know these,but might help if someone is planning a trip.if you need any more info get in touch. j

the roads are great heres where we stayed,been the last 2 years. j

I second the Dog house being recommended! :thumb2

coast road is very nice but as its the main road do expect some heavy traffic, speed limits on the road are low 60-80kmh seems common.

There are lots of speed traps but be sensible and watch out for flashing headlights or hand signals from others.

in Dubrivnic there were ladies sitting at the side of the road. I stopped and chatted to one and she was an agent for accomodation. I got a lovley apartment for €50 a night. we were able to reorganise get our laundry sorted and see the town.
The Wind north of Split (they have a name for it) was a horror the worst i have ever experienced, unridable, it will blow you off the bike it did with one biker.

Back
Top Bottom